Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Cheney-indicting DA disappears

Default Dick Cheney-indicting DA disappears

Cheney-targeting DA is no-show

By Lynn Brezosky and Peggy Fikac - Express-News
    RAYMONDVILLE — Willacy County prosecutor Juan Angel Guerra stumped a presiding judge and attorneys for clients as high up as Vice President Dick Cheney when he failed to show up to court on his own grand jury’s indictments.

The no-show infuriated attorneys who’d spent the day milling about with what they’d hoped would be slam-dunk motions to quash the cases.
    And it put Presiding Judge Manuel Bañales in a position he said he’d never been in before.

“At the very least I expected the district attorney to be here,” Bañales said, asking Guerra’s office manager, “Do you know where he is?”

The manager, Hilda Ramirez, was subpoenaed by defense attorney J.A. “Tony” Canales when buzz circulated in the courthouse that Guerra was nowhere to be found.

Canales summoned Ramirez to act as representative for Guerra in hopes the motions could go forward.

She told the judge she had been trying to reach Guerra all day.

When Bañales asked if she were concerned for Guerra’s safety she said she would not know how to answer the question.

Guerra’s cell phone message box was full much of the day, but an assistant who answered the line late Wednesday said he was not ill.

Bañales said he would not hear the motions without the state present and set arraignments for Friday morning.

He allowed all defendants to waive court appearances and appear via their lawyers and set a jury to be called Dec. 8.

“The State of Texas is entitled to have its day in court,” he said.

Guerra, a 53-year-old Rio Grande Valley prosecutor who drew national attention for suing counterparts in the county justice system and staging a protest with barnyard animals, long has alleged high-ranking corruption in the deals that brought the impoverished county a $60 million immigration detention center.

On Monday, he got a grand jury to sign off on a slew of indictments including an acceptance of honorarium charge against state Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr., and an engaging in organized criminal activity charge against Cheney and Gonzales.

Cheney is accused of contributing to the neglect of federal immigration detainees by contracting for-profit prisons.

“By working through corporations as prisons for profit, Defendant Richard Cheney has committed at least misdemeanor assaults of our inmates and/or detainees,” the indictment reads, adding that a “money trail” can be traced to Cheney's substantial investments in the Vanguard Group, which invests in privately run prisons.

This morning, attorneys filed motions to quash indictments "for prosecutorial vindictiveness and failure to allege an offense."

"In most of the indictments, the prosecutor identifies himself as the victim. The prosecutor has usurped for himself the role of prosecutor, judge, victim, and director of the grand jury. His conflict of interest and abuse of office require that he be stopped," Canales said.

A number of experts were shaking their heads at the indictment.

Shannon Edmonds of the Texas District and County Attorneys Association, after reviewing a faxed copy of the indictment against Cheney and Gonzales, said he’d never seen one like it.

“It’s a creative indictment, but I don’t think it properly alleges any crime,” Edmonds said. “It’s more of just a rambling narrative … I think a court will find that it’s legally insufficient in that it fails to allege a crime.”

Chip B. Lewis, a prominent criminal defense lawyer in Houston whose clients have included former Enron chairman Ken Lay, said, “It’s a shame. I’m not a Cheney supporter by any means. I’m Democrat. But the misuse of our criminal justice system is apparent … It just smacks of partisanship and it’s a shame that credence can be lent to this type of charge because you have a grand jury indictment.”

Lewis said, “I don’t think he (Cheney) will ever spend a day in court.”

Cheney-targeting DA is no-show
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

eek, that sounds a little fishy. hope he's ok.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

He'll turn up dead, or not turn up at all, ever.

Fucking amazing that this shit happens and people are expected to sit there and smile and pretend it's normal
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I hope he turns up too but wouldn't be surprised if they find that he "committed suicide".

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

He was on Democracy Now this morning. Did anyone listen? Ooooh and Jeremy Scahill was on before him... I'm wondering when the Obama love fest will end.

Democracy Now! | Radio and TV News
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

the missing guy was on the radio?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Yes! You can listen to it Democracy Now! | Listen/Watch Today's Show
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Check the sewers.

Ok, realistic question here--- those of us with money in Vanguard, is there anything we can do? Most everyone's portfolio has tanked so selling would be fiscally insane. I know they have some "green" funds, but haven't looked closely. Are there any companies out there without blood on their hands??

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    He'll turn up dead, or not turn up at all, ever.

I vote for the second one. Was the DN show pre-recorded? Guess I'll check google...

Breaking News: Guerra returning for indictment hearings | guerra, hearings, willacy : Brownsville Herald

Guerra returning for indictment hearingsBy Emma Perez-Trevino, The Brownsville Herald
    November 20, 2008 - 12:58PM

Willacy County District Attorney Juan Angel Guerra told The Brownsville Herald today that he is heading to the Rio Grande Valley and likely will attend Friday's court hearing as a show of respect for the judge and the court.

Guerra did not say where he was, but that he was outside the Valley. He did not appear at Wednesday's hearings for U.S. Vice President Richard B. Cheney, former attorney general Alberto Gonzales and other state/">state, federal and local officials. Attorneys for several of the defendants offered motions to dismiss or quash the indictments.

The indictments accuse the officials of various charges related to a private jail construction project in Willacy County.

State District Judge J. Manuel Bañales decided Wednesday to continue processing the indictments. He scheduled new hearings to begin Friday for Cheney, Gonzales, State Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr., 103rd District Judge Janet Leal, 197th District Judge Migdalia Lopez, Former Willacy county special prosecutors Mervyn Mosbacker Jr. and Gustavo Garza, and Willacy County Clerk Gilbert Lozano.

Guerra told The Brownsville Herald he did not receive any kind of notice regarding Wednesday's court proceedings.

"I heard rumors (that something would be held), but I don't go by rumors. I go by the dockets," he said.

The district attorney said state laws call for 72-hours notice for court proceedings and he doesn't understand why a 72-hour notice is not being provided.

Ooooh! Nobody told him? Weird.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Cheney probably filled his ass with buckshot.

So, he is alive....?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    So, he is alive....?

Cheney, or Guerra?

Guerra. Please, cheney is evil..and we all know evil never dies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information