Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's killing the Republican party? Right wing religious fascism crazies

Default What's killing the Republican party? Right wing religious fascism crazies

By Kathleen Parker
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008; 12:00 AM

As Republicans sort out the reasons for their defeat, they likely will overlook or dismiss the gorilla in the pulpit.

Three little letters, great big problem: G-O-D.

I'm bathing in holy water as I type.

To be more specific, the evangelical, right-wing, oogedy-boogedy branch of the GOP is what ails the erstwhile conservative party and will continue to afflict and marginalize its constituents if reckoning doesn't soon cometh.

Simply put: Armband religion is killing the Republican Party. And, the truth -- as long as we're setting ourselves free -- is that if one were to eavesdrop on private conversations among the party intelligentsia, one would hear precisely that.

The choir has become absurdly off-key, and many Republicans know it.

But they need those votes!

So it has been for the Grand Old Party since the 1980s or so, as it has become increasingly beholden to an element that used to be relegated to wooden crates on street corners.

Short break as writer ties blindfold and smokes her last cigarette.

Which is to say, the GOP has surrendered its high ground to its lowest brows. In the process, the party has alienated its non-base constituents, including other people of faith (those who prefer a more private approach to worship), as well as secularists and conservative-leaning Democrats who otherwise might be tempted to cross the aisle.

Here's the deal, 'pubbies: Howard Dean was right.

It isn't that culture doesn't matter. It does. But preaching to the choir produces no converts. And shifting demographics suggest that the Republican Party -- and conservatism with it -- eventually will die out unless religion is returned to the privacy of one's heart where it belongs.

Religious conservatives become defensive at any suggestion that they've had something to do with the GOP's erosion. And, though the recent Democratic sweep can be attributed in large part to a referendum on Bush and the failing economy, three long-term trends identified by Emory University's Alan Abramowitz have been devastating to the Republican Party: increasing racial diversity, declining marriage rates and changes in religious beliefs.

Suffice it to say, the Republican Party is largely comprised of white, married Christians. Anyone watching the two conventions last summer can't have missed the stark differences: One party was brimming with energy, youth and diversity; the other felt like an annual Depends sales meeting.

With the exception of Miss Alaska, of course.

Even Sarah Palin has blamed Bush policies for the GOP loss. She's not entirely wrong, but she's also part of the problem. Her recent conjecture about whether to run for president in 2012 (does anyone really doubt she will?) speaks for itself:

"I'm like, okay, God, if there is an open door for me somewhere, this is what I always pray, I'm like, don't let me miss the open door. Show me where the open door is.... And if there is an open door in (20)12 or four years later, and if it's something that is going to be good for my family, for my state, for my nation, an opportunity for me, then I'll plow through that door."

Let's do pray that God shows Alaska's governor the door.

Meanwhile, it isn't necessary to evict the Creator from the public square, surrender Judeo-Christian values or diminish the value of faith in America. Belief in something greater than oneself has much to recommend it, including most of the world's architectural treasures, our universities and even our founding documents.

But, like it or not, we are a diverse nation, no longer predominantly white and Christian. The change Barack Obama promised has already occurred, which is why he won.

Among Jewish voters, 78 percent went for Obama. Sixty-six percent of under-30 voters did likewise. Forty-five percent of voters ages 18-29 are Democrats compared to just 26 percent Republican; in 2000, party affiliation was split almost evenly.

The young will get older, of course. Most eventually will marry, and some will become their parents. But nonwhites won't get whiter. And the nonreligious won't get religion through external conversion. It doesn't work that way.

Given those facts, the future of the GOP looks dim and dimmer if it stays the present course. Either the Republican Party needs a new base -- or the nation may need a new party.

Giving Up on God - washingtonpost.com
    Game, set, match.

These are the nutjobs who LURVE Sarah Palin.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Who cares.
    The election is over. It's all been said and done 1,001 times.

Apparently the sane portion of the GOP and its commentators think it's pretty damn relevant.

Also, there are lots of Palin fans who don't get it.

It's called an election post-mortem. It's good for the body
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Religious conservatives become defensive at any suggestion that they've had something to do with the GOP's erosion.
    This is definitely true. One of the religious conservatives I work with nearly lost his shit when I told him that the fundie, right-wingers are what's wrong with the Republican Party. He blames the 'liberal' Republicans (moderates) and thinks that they should be kicked out, and the GOP should get MORE conservative.

Pft, by all means let them create their own retard party for nazis, see how well that works.

I don't get these people. They're always fucking SCARED of something or someone. Utterly terrified that their comfy routine will be taken from them.

The fundies are basically stuck in a time warp clutching the Bible. They want to turn the clock back to what they believe is the 'real' America. It hasn't sunk in with them yet that time only moves forward.

^^^
    one thing at a time, king. they're still processing the whole 'earth is round' thing.

So it has been for the Grand Old Party since the 1980s or so, as it has become increasingly beholden to an element that used to be relegated to wooden crates on street corners.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Anyone watching the two conventions last summer can't have missed the stark differences: One party was brimming with energy, youth and diversity; the other felt like an annual Depends sales meeting.
    lolz

good article. The GOP is a joke!

yeah, I never in a million years thought I would see the day when Parker would be making sense to me. I used to loathe her, then Coulter and Malkin came around and made her look slighly more sane than average for those folks. It think her criticism of Palin and the backlash has really emboldened her. But republicans pretending that christians are passively eroding the party is silly, they courted, seduced, married those fundies, carried them over the threshold and impregnated them (with cash) on the night of the wedding. And now it's biting them in the arse.

Yeah, it's a bit disingenuous for them to be suggesting that the religious retards suddenly appeared out of nowhere and took over while the moderates were simply looking the other way.

Uh hello, Rove courting them with an entire strategy to get them turned out in droves?

The nutters are already calling for Parker's head:
    Kathleen Parker the devil we know taking on a GOD she doesn't

There are places for people like Kathleen unfortunately the fine people here won't be there to see it!

Posted by: Jaded
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 12:50PM CST
    9 Comments

I can never quite stress enough as not being part of the Religious Right how very offensive I find those who attempt to demean and degrade those who are.
    GOD is not the problem Kathleen, hate, envy, jealousy are. 92 percent of Americans believe in GOD Kathleen , did you know that?
    Kathleen Parker has a most unusual HATE for those who openingly acknowledge their GOD and their religion and I for one am puzzled by that. I suspect it comes in the form of jealousy or envy for those who exalt in their religion being the happiest people I know. I suspect she is quite hollow in her soul and as such feels the need to demean others to prop up her ego. I for one have enjoyed National Review over the years as a conservative and I suspect Kathleen Parker knows her days are limited and she needs another outlet. She has most assuredly found such a place at the Washington Post. I do know that she is probably ignorant of the fact that the Post is going to be going away much more quickly as they cannot seem to keep up their readership...PITY THAT (NOT)
    Only 635K people will read your tripe Kathleen out of a country of 300 million...think about that!
    Now as for the Republican Party WE are three legs of a stool and anyone who says otherwise can join another party. WE will win back what has been lost by sticking to the tried and true. Small government, less taxes, GREAT defense AKA the best damn MILITARY in the UNIVERSE, and social issue's such as abortion BACK TO THE STATES! WE are a party of three and will win with all three BUT we cannot kick a leg of the stool out or WE shall surely be a minority for decades to come!

RedState: Kathleen Parker the devil we know taking on a GOD she doesn't

Now as for the Republican Party WE are three legs of a stool and anyone who says otherwise can join another party.
    The tripod being, of course, the most unstable kind of platform you can have.

WE will win back what has been lost by sticking to the tried and true. Small government, less taxes, GREAT defense AKA the best damn MILITARY in the UNIVERSE,
    .. and yet, amazingly, anytime a "conservative" gets in the national debt goes through the roof, government expands and INTRUDES even more forcefully where it doesn't belong, gets into wars (destroying defense), etc etc...

and social issue's such as abortion BACK TO THE STATES!
    .. it wasnt there before?

WE are a party of three and will win with all three BUT we cannot kick a leg of the stool out or WE shall surely be a minority for decades to come!
    but that leg has rot and its spreading to the rest of the stool, moron.

Oh, and I love how anybody that DARES criticize the religious freaks is suddenly godless, and a BITTER JELLUS FATTY

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    and social issue's such as abortion BACK TO THE STATES!
    .. it wasnt there before?
    It was before Roe v Wade. These people don't believe in privacy between a woman and her doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Apparently the sane portion of the GOP and its commentators think it's pretty damn relevant.

Also, there are lots of Palin fans who don't get it.

It's called an election post-mortem. It's good for the body
    I can't believe she has fans.

I was searching icon communities at LJ (by interest search) and I found this:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information