Thread: Interesting quotes regarding politics and religion

Elite Member

Default Interesting quotes regarding politics and religion

I saw these posted somewhere else and found them appropriate:

"The path of true piety is so plain as to require but little Political attention. To this consideration we ought to ascribe the absence of any regulation respecting religion from the Magna Charta of our country." - George Washington

"The practical distinction between Religion and Civil Government is essential to the purity of both and is guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States. The morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people, have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the State." - James Madison

"It is the purpose of the Government to fill our whole culture once more with a Christian spirit, and that not only in politics. The Government regards Christianity as the unshakable foundation of the morals and moral code of the nation." - Adolph Hitler

Interesting last one. My favorite is Abe Lincoln, "I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it."

I came across this today:
    19 Nov 2008 08:04 pm
    The Problem With Christianism

Tocqueville understood the genius of American Christianity better than most Republicans today:
    "I have no belief in the virtue or durability of official philosophies, and when it comes to state religions, I have always thought that, though they may perhaps sometimes momentarily serve the interests of political power, they are always sooner or later fatal for the church.

Nor am I one of those who think that to exalt religion in the eyes of the people and to do honor to the spirituality of religious teaching, it is good to give its ministers indirectly a political influence which the laws refuse.

I am so deeply convinced of the almost inevitable dangers which face beliefs when their interpreters take part in public affairs, and so firmly persuaded that at all costs Christianity must be maintained among the new democracies that I would rather shut priests up within their sanctuaries than allow them to leave them."
    These people will kill Christianity before they get to enforce by law the fantasies of their own neuroses.

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan (November 19, 2008) - The Problem With Christianism
    Also, the quotes in the OP reminded me of this essay.

Thread Information