Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Lieberman to keep his committee chair

Angry Joe Lieberman to keep his committee chair

So the snake slithers away again.

McCain backer Lieberman keeps committee chair

By ANDREW TAYLOR, Associated Press Writer Andrew Taylor, Associated Press Writer – 13 mins ago
    Featured Topics:

AP – Sen. Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn., is questioned by reporters as he walks to the Old Senate Chamber on Capitol …

WASHINGTON – Sen. Joe Lieberman will keep his chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security Committee despite hard feelings over his support for GOP nominee John McCain during the presidential campaign.

The Connecticut independent will lose a minor panel post as punishment for criticizing Obama this fall.

Lieberman's colleagues in the Democratic caucus voted 42-13 Tuesday to approve a resolution condemning statements made by Lieberman during the campaign but allowing him to keep the Homeland Security Committee gavel. He will leave the Environment and Public Works panel, however.

Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he was very angry by Lieberman's actions but that "we're looking forward, we're not looking back."

Added Reid: "This was not a time for retribution, it was a time for moving forward on the problems of this country."

Lieberman's grasp on his chairmanship had gotten stronger since President-elect Barack Obama signaled to Democratic leaders that he's not interested in punishing Lieberman for boosting McCain and criticizing Obama during the long campaign.

"This is the beginning of a new chapter, and I know that my colleagues in the Senate Democratic Caucus were moved not only by the kind words that Senator Reid said about my longtime record, but by the appeal from President-elect Obama himself that the nation now unite to confront our very serious problems," Lieberman said after the vote.

Anger toward Lieberman seems to have softened since Election Day, and Democrats didn't want to drive him from the Democratic caucus by taking away his chairmanship and send the wrong signals as Obama takes office on a pledge to unite the country. Lieberman had indicated it would be unacceptable for him to lose his chairmanship.
    Lieberman, who was Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore's running mate in 2000, was re-elected in 2006 as an independent after losing his state's Democratic primary. He remains a registered Democrat and aligns with the party inside the Senate.

"There are some (statements) that I made that I wish I had not," Lieberman told reporters. "In the heat of campaigns, that happens to all of us, but I regret that. And now it's time to move on."

"It's time to unite our country," said Lieberman supporter Ken Salazar, D-Colo., said entering the meeting.

Salazar added afterwards: "It was very clear people want Senator Lieberman to be part of the caucus."

On the other side were senators who feel that one requirement to be installed in a leadership position is party loyalty.

Some, like Iowan Tom Harkin, still harbor hard feelings for statements Lieberman made during the campaign. Harkin took particular offense when Lieberman said a vote against funding the war in Iraq without a deadline for a troop withdrawal meant Obama had voted to cut off funding for troops in harm's way.

"That's outrageous what he said," Harkin said.

McCain backer Lieberman keeps committee chair - Yahoo! News
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Slithers away? Voted to stay!

Spineless democrats do it again.

There's some change you can believe in *snort*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

I wondered also why Dems won't punish Leib more too. My husband says it's because they need his vote when they want to get something passed. Lieberman might be the type to get back at them if they ignor him altogether, I guess. But he is still a turncoat after how he betrayed Obama and Biden.

Thumbs down Dems let turncoat Joe Lieberman keep chairmanship post

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Sen. Joe Lieberman retained his chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Tuesday following a lengthy and often heated debate over what — if any — price the Connecticut Democrat-turned-Independent should pay for his vocal support of Republican Sen. John McCain's presidential bid.
    The Senate Democratic caucus, meeting behind closed doors, voted 42 to 13 to allow Lieberman to keep the high-profile chairmanship. The party's 2000 vice presidential nominee was instead stripped of his spot on the Environment and Public Works Committee.
    "It's all over with," Majority Leader Harry Reid said at a news conference following the vote. "Joe Lieberman is a Democrat. He's part of this caucus."
    Reid dismissed vehement criticism of the decision from elements of the party's more liberal base, which has insisted that Lieberman be punished for failing to support President-elect Barack Obama's campaign.
    Reid instead argued that this is "not a time for retribution. It's a time for moving forward on the problems of this country… We need to be unified."
    "I would defy anyone to be more angry than I was," Reid noted. "There's a period of time in Joe Lieberman's political career that I will never understand or approve. But I also recognize that…. (he is) one of the most progressive members to come from the state of Connecticut and that says a lot."
    Reid also pointed out that that the Democrats could not have had a Senate majority during the past two years without Lieberman's decision to remain in the party caucus.

Speaking at the same press conference, Lieberman called the resolution allowing him to keep the Homeland Security chairmanship "fair and forward leaning."
    "It's a resolution… of reconciliation and not retribution, and I appreciate it," he noted.
    Lieberman said that a number of his Democratic colleagues in the Senate were moved by an appeal from Obama himself that "the nation now unite to confront our very serious problems…. This is all about going forward."
    Lieberman broke with his party over the war in Iraq and ran as an independent after losing the party's Connecticut Senate nomination in 2006.
    He was a fixture on the campaign trail with Sen. McCain.
    Lieberman keeps powerful chairmanship post
    I understand why the Dems went easy on Lieberman because they need his vote, but they still should've done something.

Lieberman is going to owe Obama big time for sticking up for him.

Joe Lieberman to keep his committee chair

Claude Raines could not be reached for comment

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

So good, this gives me more time to go kick this idiot in the vagina.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I understand why the Dems went easy on Lieberman because they need his vote, but they still should've done something.

They did take one of his subcommittee chairmanships away. Not much but better than nothing.

Joe must give some really good head.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Joe must give some really good head.

Dot dot FUCKING dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    They did take one of his subcommittee chairmanships away. Not much but better than nothing.
    True. But I think the voters will take care of Lieberman when he runs for re-election.

Thats in 4 years right?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post

Obama is being strategic by keeping the enemy close. If he needs a 60th vote for something, you better believe that Obama will dispatch Rahm Emanuel to growl at Lieberman like the Hound of the Baskervilles to make sure Two-Faced Joe votes the way they want.

Joe is in a pickle. He can't sneeze too hard unless he wants to fall from Obama's good graces, where Harry Reid will be able to tear him to shreds. And he can't risk turning to the GOP because CT will vote him out for sure.

Obama has essentially put Lieberman under his thumb. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    Obama is being strategic by keeping the enemy close. If he needs a 60th vote for something, you better believe that Obama will dispatch Rahm Emanuel to growl at Lieberman like the Hound of the Baskervilles to make sure Two-Faced Joe votes the way they want.

Joe is in a pickle. He can't sneeze too hard unless he wants to fall from Obama's good graces, where Harry Reid will be able to tear him to shreds. And he can't risk turning to the GOP because CT will vote him out for sure.

Obama has essentially put Lieberman under his thumb. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
    I completely agree. Especially with the last line. Lieberman went out of his way to thank Obama last night. I'm sure Joe knows he owes him.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Lieberman's got more waffling than a fat man's ass sitting on hammock in the Georgia summer! I have never understood why he gets the carte blanche to do the things he does and no one busts him on it. Does he have nekkid picchures of high level Democrats and REpublicans with their mommas and a mule? Are they too afraid of pissing off the Zionist faction? What, what?

Somebody posted on GR about 2 weeks ago or so about how Leiberman has become a prostitute, going to the highest bidder.

I dont know who wrote that but whoever it did, thanks for the laughs because ever since I cannot see him on TV now or a pic of him without thinking of that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information