Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minister singles out Barack Obama supporter for abuse from pulpit

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Minister singles out Barack Obama supporter for abuse from pulpit

Do you see a pattern here? More and more of the lunatic fringe are losing it. Here's the latest one.

A Fairfield woman whose car was adorned with celebratory signs for President-elect Barack Obama is furious that a priest singled her out during Sunday morning Mass and ordered her to leave.
    Elizabeth Caster admits her Toyota Sequoia was parked in a loading zone outside of the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in Fairfield, but said it was common practice by parishioners during services and that two other vehicles parked on either side of her vehicle were not addressed.

Caster said the Rev. Sebastian Meyer humiliated her in front of the congregation, saying from the pulpit, "We cannot have a car with Obama signs written on it on these premises. And I don't care who Obama is."
    He continued, "I want this car off the premises in 10 minutes or it will be towed. Whoever's vehicle this is, I want it removed. I don't want to see that car anywhere around here," she said.

The Rev. Meyer did not return calls. An attempt to speak to him face to face ended abruptly Wednesday morning when he announced, "No, we're not writing that," and attempted to snatch a reporter's notebook away.

Caster said the priest followed her and her 10-year-old son out of the church and refused to let her park anywhere in the parking lot. She had to come back after the service to pick up her parents, who were visiting from Kenya.

She has since forgiven the pastor, she said, but noted a definite tone in his voice. "It was something to the effect of, I don't care who Obama is, he won, get over it," she said. "It seems there was some anger and animosity in his tone. You could feel the Holy Spirit sucked out of the church."

I'm going to keep a list.
    Crooks and Liars

The crazy keeps on growing.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Outrageous. Some fine Christian he is! For petes sake-the President Elect of the United States! There are no excuses for this example of brotherly love. Tax exempt? This needs changing.
    Last edited by McJag; November 16th, 2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: r.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I agree. The religious right has been abusing its tax exempt status for years and now it's time to call them out. They want to get involved in politics, tax 'em.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Outrageous. Some fine Christian he is! Foe petes sake-the President Elect of the United States! There are no excuses for this example of brotherly love. Tax exempt? This needs changing.
    Agreed. If all of these religious leaders want to keep putting their two-cents into politics then their churches need to start paying taxes. That'll shut them up in a heartbeat.

these church motherfuckers are pissed off because they know it's over. They really thought they were going to undo separation of church and state and they were gonna get to lynch gays and reach right into women and rescue those fetuses. And now they realize they've been had and they are so in denial they aren't even lashing out at the people that put them over the barrel in the first place. (chuckles to self).

The way I see it,if we tax just the Mormons and Catholic churches (based on recent activities,like abortion rights,gay marriage) we will have solved the National debt problem!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

it seems to me that they are trying to see just how far they can push it lately and the IRS is going to have to make an example out of someone soon...

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post
    it seems to me that they are trying to see just how far they can push it lately and the IRS is going to have to make an example out of someone soon...
    I would be happy to make some suggestios...

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post
    And the preachers will see it as a sign that Obama is the anti-christ sent to destroy them by making them pay taxes.

They are already saying that, so no harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And the preachers will see it as a sign that Obama is the anti-christ sent to destroy them by making them pay taxes.
    I'm to the point I don't care! I swear-the rest of us are paying heavy duty taxes and these jokers break all the rules. Enough! I am not talking about religions who preach "Love thy neighbor" and hold to it. Ones who worry about a congregations souls and preach to do the right thing.They are truly religious. Not them.The ones who dabble in politics and demand their people vote only for X or get out,spend their own money and make sure Y passes a vote. Those need to be taxed,for they are more political than religious.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I'm to the point I don't care! I swear-the rest of us are paying heavy duty taxes and these jokers break all the rules. Enough! I am not talking about religions who preach "Love thy neighbor" and hold to it. Ones who worry about a congregations souls and preach to do the right thing.They are truly religious. Not them.The ones who dabble in politics and demand their people vote only for X or get out,spend their own money and make sure Y passes a vote. Those need to be taxed,for they are more political than religious.
    I agree. I could care less if the churches who dabble in politics get pissed. If they want to preach politics from the pulpit, then they need to reach into their pockets and pay some taxes. And that applies to Obama's old church, too. Although I remember the IRS started threatening to look into his church's tax-exempt status, so they should do that for all the political Bible thumping churches.

as I understand it the IRS basically chooses whether or not to fine people for this crap or to ignore it. I think Obama should appoint someone who will get serious about it and start fining the shit out of churches that try to sway the vote, because at least in the south they are blatantly abusing the tax laws. Last January my parents came home from church armed with pamphlets on how Obama is a muslim and a terrorist, I was over there and started reading them and hit the roof, it was a huge blow-up because I was pissed the church would be distributing this kind of propaganda on site. They just absolutely have gotten completely spoiled and someone needs to drop the ax.

A lot of Americans are confused on the specifics of the law on church tax exempt status.

The free speech rights of religious leaders are protected by the U.S. Constitution. Clergy can address public policy concerns, ranging from abortion, gay rights and gun control to poverty, civil rights and the death penalty. They may support legislation pending in Congress or the state legislatures, or call for its defeat. They may endorse or oppose ballot referenda.

The only thing churches may not do is endorse or oppose candidates for public office or use their resources in partisan campaigns. This restriction, which is found in federal tax law, is not limited to churches and other religious ministries. It is applied to every non-profit organization in the country.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    A lot of Americans are confused on the specifics of the law on church tax exempt status.

The free speech rights of religious leaders are protected by the U.S. Constitution. Clergy can address public policy concerns, ranging from abortion, gay rights and gun control to poverty, civil rights and the death penalty. They may support legislation pending in Congress or the state legislatures, or call for its defeat. They may endorse or oppose ballot referenda.

The only thing churches may not do is endorse or oppose candidates for public office or use their resources in partisan campaigns. This restriction, which is found in federal tax law, is not limited to churches and other religious ministries. It is applied to every non-profit organization in the country.
    People sure think they know how it works though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information