Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: President elect Barack Obama gives Ebony first post election interview, photoshoot

Default President elect Barack Obama gives Ebony first post election interview, photoshoot

So which magazine was the first to get a sit down interview and photo shoot with President-elect Barack Obama?

Ebony Magazine, which was visited by the president-elect at its Chicago offices in the Michigan Ave. headquarters building of its parent, Johnson Publishing Co.

That Obama would give his first magazine and photo session to Ebony seems fitting. The magazine was a pioneer in publishing in much the way Obama's a trailblazer in politics.

Evolved from Negro Digest, which was founded in 1942 by John Johnson, Ebony for decades was one of the few periodicals African-Americans could turn to for images and stories about black strivers and movers and shakers rarely ever seen in the mainstream media.

A black person who made it to Ebony's cover had really made it in the larger sense. Obama is the ultimate African-American striver.

Also, the company's present chairman and chief executive Linda Johnson Rice, the founder's daughter, has long been a member of Chicago's black business and political aristocracy into which the Obama's have vaulted in recent years.

So all told, not a surprising choice that Ebony got Obama first.
    The following is from Ebony's announcement of its coup of its interview yesterday:

The exclusive interview and cover shoot, held at the headquarters of Johnson Publishing Co. in Chicago, will be the centerpiece of Ebony magazine's January 2009 commemorative issue, which goes on sale nationwide Tuesday, December 9.

President-elect Obama spoke to Ebony magazine editorial director Bryan Monroe on a wide range of issues, including his historic election and international reaction, the future of America and how he hopes to tap the enthusiasm of the millions of supporters who have been mobilized by his election.

"I'm very humbled by the fact that I stand on the shoulders of all the people who made these incredible contributions to lift this country up," Obama told Ebony on Thursday.

Obama gives Ebony first dibs : The Swamp

I'm not surprised he gave Ebony the first interview, considering the historical implications of the election.

Actually, 7/11 is selling a special Obama election issue that I picked up yesterday. It had some interesting facts in it like how his mother was part Cherokee and a distant descendant of Jefferson Davis.

"negro digest" ?

ROFL

"Cracka-ass cracka Times!"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I'm not surprised he gave Ebony the first interview, considering the historical implications of the election.
    Think back to the very first Ebony issue in 1945. Who ever would of have thought?

Actually, 7/11 is selling a special Obama election issue that I picked up yesterday. It had some interesting facts in it like how his mother was part Cherokee and a distant descendant of Jefferson Davis.
    Can this man get any more multicultural?

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Think back to the very first Ebony issue in 1945. Who ever would of have thought?
    True. I'm old enough to remember when Ebony magazine was giant-sized.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Can this man get any more multicultural?
    I thought the same thing. Obama's turning into a one-man United Nations.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Honestly that's my favorite thing about him is how diverse he is. I love that people in Kenya were cheering "we're going to the white house!"

Must have made Gomer's blood boil.

I thought the same thing. Obama's turning into a one-man United Nations.

It's amazing. For the first time ever in the presidency we have an accurate representation of what America really is.

I believe Ireland proclaimed Obama that he is their son. Obama is a Japanese surname (also a place in Japan).

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post
    It's amazing. For the first time ever in the presidency we have an accurate representation of what America really is.

Exactly. We actually have a president who represents the 'melting pot' of America. And to top it off he's smart and can form coherent sentences unlike the president we've had for 8 years.

An old south oath is "Mother of Jefferson Davis!" which seems to fit here! Wouldn't he be surprised!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm old enough to remember big Ebony too

I'm old enough to remember the big size Vibe.

In other words, I'm not that old

Palermo, I think we 'old folks' need to gang up on bychance. Boo, young people.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    An old south oath is "Mother of Jefferson Davis!" which seems to fit here! Wouldn't he be surprised!
    I bet ole Jefferson Davis is spinning in his grave.

I prefer Essence magazine. I find it more interesting than Ebony.

Palermo, I think we 'old folks' need to gang up on bychance. Boo, young people.

I bet ole Jefferson Davis is spinning in his grave.
    Oh,hell no! You can believe he will be taking full credit!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information