Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton?

Question Secretary of State Hillary Clinton?

Political Punch

There's a lot of buzz in DC tonight about the fact that the Obama Transition Team is, according to one knowledgeable source, "very serious" about Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, being under consideration for Secretary of State.

George Stephanopoulos reported Clinton's name being in the mix last week on Good Morning America, but the buzz grew louder today after Clinton was spotted boarding a flight to Chicago.

Her spokesman Philippe Reines would not discuss Clinton's schedule, and of course the Obama Transition Team would not comment.

The thinking about a Secretary of State Clinton is simple, I'm told: she's smart, she's strong, she's experienced, she's a team player, she is usually pretty diplomatic, and she also brings some gender diversity to an Obama Team concerned about such matters.

She brings instant stature to the job, one Democrat told me. Many world leaders have known her for almost two decades.

"Clinton is the gold standard around the world, " said Chris Lehane, a former spokesman for Vice President Al Gore.

There are drawbacks, of course. Her husband Bill Clinton's vast and varied international business dealings and relationships, which have put him at odds with her policy positions.

And of course, she and Obama famously and repeatedly clashed over international issues during their contentious primaries. She assailed as "naive" his willingness to speak to the leaders of hostile regimes without preconditions and she assailed as reckless his public discussions about his willingness to attack high-value terrorist targets in Pakistan with or without Pakistan government permission.

Obama "basically threatened to bomb Pakistan, which I don't think was a particularly wise position to take," Clinton said at the Democratic debate in Cleveland, Ohio, on February 26.

Most ugly, probably was the Tuzla sniper fire incident. Clinton erroneously claimed about a trip to Tuzla, Bosnia: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

That was later proven false, and Clinton acknowledged "misspeaking."
    Countered the Obama campaign's Tommy Vietor: "Senator Clinton said that a planned welcoming ceremony was cancelled because they needed to avoid sniper fire, but news footage shows that she was met by a small child who read her a poem. Contrary to the latest spin from the Clinton campaign, when you make a false claim that's in your prepared remarks, it's not misspeaking, it's misleading, and it's part of a troubling pattern of Senator Clinton inflating her foreign policy experience."

Ouch. Harsh words for one's Secretary of State.

But no doubt that's water under the bridge. In Boca Raton in May, Obama -- asked by a vote if he would consider putting Clinton on the ticket -- said, "I'm a practical-minded guy. And, you know, one of my heroes is Abraham Lincoln. And a while back there was a wonderful book written by Doris Kearns Goodwin called 'Team of Rivals.'"

The book, Obama said, discussed how "Lincoln basically pulled in all the people who had been running against him into his Cabinet because whatever personal feelings there were, the issue was how can we get this country through this time of crisis. And I think that has to be the approach that one takes, whether it's vice president or Cabinet, whoever."

-- Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller

I heard this on Keith Olbermann.. I think it's her, they wouldn't have let her name leak if it wasn't. Remember, when they were considering VPs, her name wasn't leaked by them, but just media speculation, and PUMA threats.

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I like Hillary. She could be a fine Secretary of State. She has a lot of international diplomatic experience, fair personal charisma, a good grasp of procedure and protocol, respect of her international peers. Good choice.

I'm in favor.

A*O

I think she'd be a good pick too. Not only does she have the experience and smarts to do it, giving her a senior position in the Obama Administration would be a gesture of Demotrat solidarity after the campaign/nomination dramas. If she is offered the job she should accept it with grace. However, with Bill pulling the strings in the background I wonder if Hillary's fierce ambition will take centre stage over her role as Sec of State.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Actually, she might be better suited as Secretary of State than she would have been as president.

God knows she's an improvement over the insane, controlling, insensitive, terrifying, war mongering, and internationally despised Condoleeza Rice.

it's a great pick. though i like the idea of hillary on the supreme court even more.
    i think they should go with either hillary or john kerry.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I hope she gets the role. She would be a good addition to the team.

What is he going to do with Bill?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

adding hil to the team will put a leash on the clintons... smart move
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

It think its a great pick.

I also like that fact that Hillary campaigned for Obama and diminished McCain's plan for Palin to get her women's votes.

A Democratic official confirms to the Huffington Post that Sen. Hillary Clinton met with President-elect Barack Obama on Thursday to discuss her role in the new administration.

Clinton's trip to Chicago, described in press reports as "personal business," came following a request from Obama, the official said.

The New York Senator is reportedly under consideration for Secretary of State, but it is unclear whether she had discussed that position with the transition team before making the trip. "If they told her beforehand, she did not tell her people," the official said.

Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines referred questions to the Obama transition team.

Clinton Met With Obama About Role In New Administration

I like the idea of Hillary as Secretary of State or Attorney General. But Obama's going to have to figure out what to do with John Kerry, because he was pushing to be SOS, too.

IMO she would be great in that position and would complement Obama's politics with her views. I'm curious what Repug he's going to pull for a high level position - I would love to see a female - that would infuriate Palin and she'd be pageant walking in front of every camera she saw - probably start a blog on myspace, hahaha.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Quote Originally Posted by WesCAdle View Post
    IMO she would be great in that position and would complement Obama's politics with her views. I'm curious what Repug he's going to pull for a high level position - I would love to see a female - that would infuriate Palin and she'd be pageant walking in front of every camera she saw - probably start a blog on myspace, hahaha.
    Hee hee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information