Thread: Mormon aid on gay marriage ban generates complaint

Default Mormon aid on gay marriage ban generates complaint

Mormon aid on gay marriage ban generates complaint

By LISA LEFF Associated Press Writer

Nov 13th, 2008 | SAN FRANCISCO -- A California gay rights activist filed a complaint Thursday accusing the Mormon church of failing to report the full value of the work it did to support the state's new ban on same-sex marriage.

Fred Karger, the founder of Californians Against Hate, submitted the complaint to the enforcement division of the California Fair Political Practices Commission, the agency that regulates campaign activity.

Karger alleges that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ran out-of-state phone banks, produced commercials and provided other services that must be reported as contributions to the Proposition 8 campaign.

"Let's be transparent here. If they are going to play in the political process, they need to abide by the rules like everyone else," he said.

Karger also notified the attorneys general of California and Utah, where the Mormon church is based.

Church spokeswoman Kim Farah said the church has complied with all campaign finance laws and is confident an investigation would prove that.

Last month, the church reported making an in-kind donation of $2,078.97 to the coalition of faith organizations and conservative groups that sponsored Proposition 8, a constitutional amendment that overturned the state Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage. It's the only donation listed under the church's name in support of the measure.

Based on in-kind contributions reported by other religious groups, Karger estimates that the Mormon church actually spent hundreds of thousands of dollars backing the marriage ban.

The Fair Political Practices Commission has 14 days to respond to Karger's allegations. The agency could decide to open an investigation, to warn the party named in the complaint or conclude no action is needed, according to commission spokesman Roman Porter.

Protests in the wake of the amendment's passage have focused largely on the Mormon church, which encouraged its members to support the ban.

Mormon aid on gay marriage ban generates complaint - Salon.com

Now this will be interesting...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Its about time, now they need to file a complaint with the IRS.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^Anyone can file a complaint with the IRS.

if they're participating in politcs, aren't they violating the separation of church and state? they should get their tax exempt status revoked. assholes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This is where the Jehovah's Witnesses are better. They don't get involved in politics at all. If The Mormons were true to the Bible, they wouldn't be either.

jehovah's witnesses are still insane though.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^But they are getting really HOT these days. I can't be the only one who has noticed that they have been sending some fine ass boys around lately. I almost let one in to pray for me just so I could look at him awhile longer.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

that's why they travel in pairs, so one of them can't be seduced... it's a spiritual buddy system
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    ^^But they are getting really HOT these days. I can't be the only one who has noticed that they have been sending some fine ass boys around lately. I almost let one in to pray for me just so I could look at him awhile longer.
    Fight the dark grey! Don't EVER let them in your house! I swear, it will take an exorcism to get them out once they step over your threshold.

A few years ago, these two sweet little old ladies came by and I was in my garage smoking, which was open, so I couldn't really run inside and hide or pretend like I didn't see them (well, I could have, but I don't think it would have worked very well). We spoke briefly that one time, and I kid you not, I finally had to write to the church to get her to stop coming by. She started bringing friends with her every week and simply would not take no for an answer. And I'm pretty forceful. Persistent doesn't even describe it.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

sacrifice a goat in front of her
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Fight the dark grey! Don't EVER let them in your house! I swear, it will take an exorcism to get them out once they step over your threshold.

A few years ago, these two sweet little old ladies came by and I was in my garage smoking, which was open, so I couldn't really run inside and hide or pretend like I didn't see them (well, I could have, but I don't think it would have worked very well). We spoke briefly that one time, and I kid you not, I finally had to write to the church to get her to stop coming by. She started bringing friends with her every week and simply would not take no for an answer. And I'm pretty forceful. Persistent doesn't even describe it.
    Break out a bible....tell them you will listen to them, and then they have to listen to you....they will run like hell. Done this several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    sacrifice a goat in front of her
    The mental scene of that made me laugh. I can just imagine chopping the head off, with a cig dangling from my lips, just as they walk up to prothelitize to me. I could have drawn a Star of David in blood on the garage floor and had some candles lit to just add to the ambiance.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Thread Information