Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prop 8 supporters upset that gays are pissed off at them. Wtf?

Question Prop 8 supporters upset that gays are pissed off at them. Wtf?

Supporters of Proposition 8 won the election but now are frustrated because they are still fighting for their cause.

A week after a majority of voters passed the controversial measure to ban same-sex marriage, the conflict continues in the courts, at protests and in personal attacks.

"I'm frustrated by what's going on," said Dave Leatherby, owner of the Leatherby Family Creamery in Sacramento, commenting on the protests and court battles.

"Let's move on. I always told my children that once a rule was made, you have to abide by it. I think it should be the same in this circumstance."

Leatherby and his family donated about $20,000 for the passage of Proposition 8. A devout Catholic and father of 10, Leatherby supported the measure for religious reasons. He said his business has been targeted by bloggers as a result, and that he is particularly confused because his business has participated in the annual gay pride Rainbow Festival.

"It saddens me that all this is happening," he said.

The battle over same-sex marriage will not end anytime soon. This week, 44 state legislators filed a friend-of-the-court brief on behalf of opponents of the gay-marriage ban. They maintain the initiative process was used improperly. The California Supreme Court could rule as early as this week on a lawsuit that seeks to invalidate Proposition 8, said court spokeswoman Lynn Holton.

Proposition 8 opponents said they will continue to fight for their civil rights.

"For them to say the voters have spoken and no one should question it is a bit disingenuous," said West Sacramento Mayor Christopher Cabaldon. He cited repeated attempts to pass other initiatives. "They believe in the justice of their causes, that's why they return over and over again with the same proposal on parental notification."

Cabaldon was referring to Proposition 4, which would have required parental notification before a minor could have an abortion. It was defeated for the third time last week.

Since the election, thousands have protested on the steps of the state Capitol and in some cities at temples of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and other sites. The Sacramento temple has not been targeted.

"Protesting is a time-honored American tradition," said Ned Dolejsi, executive director of the California Catholic Conference. Catholic leaders were active in the Yes on 8 campaign. "But it's unfortunate when it steps over into religious bigotry or harassment." (Then keep your fucking religion OUT OF OUR LIVES you bitch!)

Some Proposition 8 supporters say a minority of protesters have gone too far by targeting individuals. Opponents of the measure have called for a boycott of the California Musical Theatre after revelations that artistic director Scott Eckern, a Mormon, donated $1,000 to the Yes on 8 Campaign. Members of his church played a significant role in the campaign.

"It's disheartening that he is being singled out," said Lisa West, spokeswoman for the church in the Sacramento area. "We had hoped there would be more tolerance for different viewpoints." (different viewpoints? This isnt a difference in viewpoint. ANybody can have those. This is YOU stripping people of their rights and thinking it's justified)

Others who supported Proposition 8 said they have also been targeted. Scott Purves, of Purves & Associates, a Davis insurance company, said a protester carrying a sign reading "Purves Family Supports Homophobia" picketed his business Monday.

"If this had gone the other way, I can't imagine the backlash if people protested and called the other side names," said Purves. "People would be angry and rightfully so. ... It makes me sad that this would happen when a majority of people supported this measure." ( the 'majority' of people are wrong. So are you. Welcome to what happens when you're a bigot and your target fights back)

Opponents of Proposition 8 issued a statement last week asking those disheartened by the passage of the initiative not to target those who voted the other way. "We achieve nothing if we isolate the people who did not stand with us in this fight," the statement said. "... We know people of all faiths, races and backgrounds stand with us in our fight to end discrimination, and will continue to do so."

Other ballot initiatives that have been approved by voters have faced legal challenges.

"When it comes to social initiatives, it can become very emotional," said Douglas Kmiec, professor of constitutional law at Pepperdine University.

He cited two initiatives that were approved by voters and later challenged in the courts. One was Proposition 209, the 1996 ballot measure that eliminated racial preferences at California agencies and public institutions; the other was Proposition 187, the 1994 measure that proposed barring undocumented children from schools and most health care.

"Although there were bumps along the way, Prop. 209 eventually passed, but 187 was ultimately invalidated," said Kmiec.

For now, Leatherby said, Proposition 8 should stand. "If they want to win me over," he said, "that's not how to do it." (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, asshole. You earned this. You oppressed a minority, and now you're whining that they don't like it?)

Prop. 8 victors upset by personal attacks - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee
    Im sorry, is everybody completely schizo? The same shit, over and over!

"Oh, Im not homophobic and I have gay friends/participate in pride marches, but no way in hell they get the same rights as i do"

Retard! Do you even know why Pride marches exist? No, you don't. You just want gay dollars.

Up yours.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I love how he says the situation "saddens" him. Um, hello?! Did he think gays would be happy and thank him for denying them civil rights? Is this guy serious?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wow that is just fucked up. I mean even my fundy friends would understand why people would be pissed. But in this case I think they are surprised that its not just the gay folks that are mad. Straight folks are mad as hell at watching unconstitutional majority oppression happen in this day and age. Its especially enraging in that its happened in such a spectacular presidential election. What a bunch of ignorant pigs.

Elite Member

You know, this seems like such a simple concept to me. The 14th amendment to the US constitution states ' No State shall...deny to any person within it's jurisdicition equal protection of the laws'. Which means, whatever rights one citizen has the others all enjoy too. Black, white, purple, gay, straight, bi, handicapped, or not. Everyone should have the same rights and civil liberties.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

"Let's move on. I always told my children that once a rule was made, you have to abide by it. I think it should be the same in this circumstance."
    But the rule was made, people were getting married in Cali and then it was overturned. What the fuck is this man on about?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^^^^

That's the part that made me cringe. I mean seriously. We made the rule, nothing to see here folks, just carry on about your business and ignore the people in the corner.

Hit By Ban Bus!

What dumb shits.

I love how that one catholic bitch is "it's unfortunate that he was singled out"

Yeah, just like gays were singled out to have their rights stripped from them?

Yeah bitch! Sure sucks being singled out, dont it!

Dumbfuck.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I love how that one catholic bitch is "it's unfortunate that he was singled out"
    And yet Catholics have never had any problem singling people or projects out to protest them. Dogma, The Last Temptation of Christ, etc.

Also, a "white powder" was found at the SLC Mormon temple today. I'm sure it's just baking soda...

Also, a "white powder" was found at the SLC Mormon temple today. I'm sure it's just baking soda...
    WTF!! are they taking a page from $cientology's book?

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    But the rule was made, people were getting married in Cali and then it was overturned. What the fuck is this man on about?
    Exactly... how can you give people rights and then just take them away? It's so fucked up.

Elite Member

This thread is ghey.

But seriously folks... I need someone to logically explain to me why marriage between two consenting adults of the same sex is detrimental. To whom? To what? How? If marriage is legal between two consenting adults, why does it matter if they're both men or if they're both women? I just don't get it.
    Bringin' up old shit since 1998.

again, i have to bring up this quote. yeah, you know what my mom taught me? that there are stupid rules that are meant to be challenged & broken! these "yes on 8" people opened up a can of worms with this one. we aren't backing down to them & they can't handle it.

Others who supported Proposition 8 said they have also been targeted. Scott Purves, of Purves & Associates, a Davis insurance company, said a protester carrying a sign reading "Purves Family Supports Homophobia" picketed his business Monday.
    i am loving this...LOVING IT! these people deserve to be protested, if they are willing to fund hate-related initiatives with their own money.

i looked for local people who gave money to yes on 8, but couldn't find any. i'm off work for a month & wanted to go protest at local yes on 8 supporters who backed it financially, but i can't find any dammit!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly View Post
    Exactly... how can you give people rights and then just take them away? It's so fucked up.
    For what it's worth, the government doesn't "give" rights to anyone. By definition, a right is something you are born with. It is the government's business, however, to assure (and, when necessary, enforce) our rights.

Which is why I cannot comprehend opposing same-sex marriage. Every adult human has the right to marry whomever they choose, right? Provided "whomever" is a consenting adult of sound mind, right?
    Bringin' up old shit since 1998.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Why people think it is their business what two consenting adults do in their bedroom is beyond me. It's hard enough for anyone to find someone to love who loves them back. Why would anyone want to deny that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information