Thread: Rep. Jon Kyl threatens to filibuster Obama Supreme Court nominees

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Rep. Jon Kyl threatens to filibuster Obama Supreme Court nominees

I forgot to post this the other day, but I think it's important. Jon "nuclear option" Kyl shot off his mouth the other day to the Federalist Society and threatened to block Supreme Court nominees of Barack Obama only a few days after the election.

Jon Kyl, the second-ranking Republican in the U.S. Senate, warned president-elect Barack Obama that he would filibuster U.S. Supreme Court appointments if those nominees were too liberal.

Kyl, Arizona's junior senator, expects Obama to appoint judges in the mold of U.S Supreme Court Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, David Souter and Stephen Breyer. Those justices take a liberal view on cases related to social, law and order and business issues, Kyl said.

"He believes in justices that have empathy," said Kyl, speaking at a Federalist Society meeting in Phoenix. The attorneys group promotes conservative legal principles.

Kyl said if Obama goes with empathetic judges who do not base their decisions on the rule of law and legal precedents but instead the factors in each case, he would try to block those picks via filibuster.

Steve says: "Think about that. The second highest ranking Republican in the Senate, just a few days after the election, is already talking about blocking Supreme Court nominations that haven't been named, in response to Supreme Court vacancies that don't exist."

And Howie Klein ads:

...according to CNN exit polls, those who claimed that the Supreme Court was a factor in their decision in the presidential election, broke for Obama 53-45% and voters who called future Supreme Court appointments the most important factor went for Obama even more strongly-- 57 to 41%.

The more Republicans talk, the more irrelevant they become.Crooks and Liars

I think a certain section of the GOP has lost its collective mind. They thought they had the country by the short and curlies and now they're realizing they are just holding some loose pubes.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

they're a cornered animal and lashing out

the Dems need to crush them without mercy
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Is this the 2008 Congressional version of pulling out the ruler?

Dear Repubs,

For the the foreseeable future (2 years at minimum) OBAMA is bigger. You should be acting as if you are embarassed to shower after gym and if you continue to mouth off you shall hereafter be known as the John Bobbit Party.

Deal with it.

Cordially, respectfully and all that jazz,

MontanaMama (on behalf of the US electorate who borrowed Lorena's knife on 11/4/08)

I expected this as soon as I found out the election results and that the dems didn't pick up the needed 60 seats to block a filibuster. They have to say these things to try and gain some leverage in the process. Do I think they will really filibuster...no, but they have to make us think they will so we will try to get a more centralist candidate. I say no deal...go for it. We don't have anything to lose....we put up the most liberal nominee we can find, let them spend their time fighting that person and then withdraw them and put up someone just a little less liberal, but someone we really wanted...and the repubs look like they stood up to us, we got who we really wanted, and we both win.

Republicans would have more to lose by filibustering an Obama Supreme Court nominee. I don't recall the Democrats filibustering any of Bush's Supreme Court nominees. There would be a big backlash. Particularly if Obama nominated another qualified woman to the court.

Oh what backlash, the dems will probably cave like they always do

Reid is already caving and letting Lieberman keep his chairmanships and Obama is letting him stay

spineless rejects
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^Just more proof that Hillary needs to take over the Senate leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Yes, that's exactly what happened with Alito.

Kerry tried to filibuster Alito, but he couldn't get the votes, only Ted Kennedy would back him up. He got slapped by Biden and Reid, and we got Alito.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Reid is already caving and letting Lieberman keep his chairmanships and Obama is letting him stay

spineless rejects
    I understand your frustration with them Grimm, but there's a rhyme to their reasoning. If they kick him of his committee as chairman he can 1.) go caucus with the republicans or 2.) take his ball all the way home, by resigning therefore leaving the republican Governor of his state to appoint a real republican, and won't shit get done!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

And the alternative is to leave him his chairmanships and just hope that, after supporting the rethug candidate for president and trashing Obama, he doesn't start hearings and god knows what else into said new government, helping his republican friends.

The repubs dont want him. Kick him out, let him take his ball home.

THe problem with the Dems is even if you stab them in the back, they ask for more. There's never ANY serious unity within their rankjs. You can do whatever you want, and they'll let you stay

They need to send a message.

Thread Information