Thread: Artistic director at musical theatre resigns amid furor of supporting prop 8

Thumbs up Artistic director at musical theatre resigns amid furor of supporting prop 8

SACRAMENTO, Calif., Nov 12, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Scott Eckern, Artistic Director for California Musical Theatre, released the following statement regarding his resignation. The statement is released as follows:

"I understand that my choice of supporting Proposition 8 has been the cause of many hurt feelings, maybe even betrayal. It was not my intent. I honestly had no idea that this would be the reaction. I chose to act upon my belief that the traditional definition of marriage should be preserved. I support each individual to have rights and access and I understood that in California domestic partnerships come with the same rights that come with marriage. My sister is a lesbian and in a committed domestic partnership relationship. I am loving and supportive of her and her family, and she is loving and supportive of me and my family. I definitely do not support any message or treatment of others that is hateful or instills fear. This is a highly emotional issue and the accusations that have been made against me are simply not true. I have now had many conversations with friends and colleagues,and I am deeply saddened thatmy personal beliefs and convictions have offended others. My choice to support the Proposition was personal, and does not represent the views and opinions of California Musical Theatre or the many people associated with the organization. I was required by law to identify my employer and occupation at the time of my donation.
    I have enjoyed my association with all the many fine staff members, artists and audiences over the years. I have strived to stay true to our mission of producing quality live theatre to enrich the cultural live of the community. In the course of my work, I have encouraged a work environment that is safe and creative, working together in an atmosphere of mutual respect. I have focused on producing shows with fresh eyes to allow the intent of the original creators to come through. I have not imposed my beliefs onto any of the works, but have sought to explore the truths found in the storytelling to speak for themselves if they are told well. I have enjoyed the opportunity to be alongside wonderful artists as we have collaborated on sharing productions that will both enlighten and entertain.
    I chose to express my views through the democratic process, and I am deeply sorry for any harm or injury I have caused in doing so. I want to support not only my friends and loved ones, but everyone in their efforts to receive equal rights so I will be making a comparable donation ($1000) to the Human Rights Campaign. I hope that through future conversations bridges may be built and healing can occur that will allow us to arrive at a better place of understanding for all involved.
    I am leaving California Musical Theatre after prayerful consideration to protect the organization and to help the healing in the local theatre-going and creative community. California Musical Theatre will continue to welcome with open arms all staff, artists and audiences who collaborate in the experience that live theatre does best -- to lift the human spirit. I will continue to be in the audience to cheer on all the good work. It has been an honor to serve alongside those I love and respect in this noble profession. I am disappointed that my personal convictions have cost me the opportunity to do what I love the most which is to continue enriching the Sacramento arts and theatre community."
    Sincerely,
    Scott Eckern
    SOURCE: Randle Communications

Wow.

I'm preparing for the religious right and their Mormon financiers to start complaining that this man's resignation is a sign of "religious bigotry." Because, you see, under their view of the world, when they participate in the political process in an effort to subvert civil rights, it's democracy, but when their victims fight back it's "intolerance." So the only way to be tolerant, under their definition, is to sit back and let them impose their religious views on the rest of us by financial fiat. Under this logic, Jewish leaders are being "religious bigots" for opposing Mormon efforts to forcibly convert dead Holocaust victims to Mormonism against their families' wishes. You can see the irrationality in all of this.

But the religious right loves to play the victim, even as they victimize more and more Americans. So expect lots of solemn pronouncements about how oppressed they all are because one of their victims finally fought back.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    Yeah, you're really lifting up the human spirit by oppressing a portion of it. Bravo for you. I love the gratuitous "I'm not a bigot and I have a lesbian sister, BUT..."

I guess it waas nice enough to make a living off the gays, without affording them the same rights as you, eh?

Dickhead.

Now you have a 9 inch heel stuck in your head for your trouble.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

musical theater owes more to gays more than to this schmuck, so fuck him.

Imagine musical theater without gay men. Broadway would go dark.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Imagine a lot of things without gays

hair salons

fashion runways

anything to do with interior decorating

anything to do with design in general

music

entertainment

stuff with flowers and gardens

auto garages (lesbians)
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

congress

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

the log cabin would be pretty empty

'My choice to support the Proposition was personal, and does not represent the views and opinions of California Musical Theatre or the many people associated with the organization.'

yeah, no kidding douchebag. that line kills me.

He can personally suck my ass. No gay is gonna wanna work with him now.

Pariah.

Without us gays, 3/4ths of the programming on Bravo wouldn't exist.

3/4 of the programming anywhere (ceptr maybe playboy channel) wouldn't exist

I fucking love Bravo. And I don't care what anyone says... Jonathan Antin is gay.

I think this guy resigned more out of fear of backlash and embarrassment than out of sincerity.

Fuck him, the results are the same.

The Wrath of Queens!

Architecture would be pitiful without gays. Films would suck. The world would have nothing fabulous in it anywhere.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Thread Information