Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Olbermann goes off on Prop 8.. you can feel the fury coming off him

Thumbs up Keith Olbermann goes off on Prop 8.. you can feel the fury coming off him

Not sure how to embed msnbc stuff, (if anybody knows, please let me know lol) but just follow the link..

Olbermann: Gay marriage is a question of love - Countdown with Keith Olbermann

transcript:

Finally tonight as promised, a Special Comment on the passage, last week, of Proposition Eight in California, which rescinded the right of same-sex couples to marry, and tilted the balance on this issue, from coast to coast.

Some parameters, as preface. This isn't about yelling, and this isn't about politics, and this isn't really just about Prop-8. And I don't have a personal investment in this: I'm not gay, I had to strain to think of one member of even my very extended family who is, I have no personal stories of close friends or colleagues fighting the prejudice that still pervades their lives.

And yet to me this vote is horrible. Horrible. Because this isn't about yelling, and this isn't about politics. This is about the human heart, and if that sounds corny, so be it.

If you voted for this Proposition or support those who did or the sentiment they expressed, I have some questions, because, truly, I do not understand. Why does this matter to you? What is it to you? In a time of impermanence and fly-by-night relationships, these people over here want the same chance at permanence and happiness that is your option. They don't want to deny you yours. They don't want to take anything away from you. They want what you want—a chance to be a little less alone in the world.

Only now you are saying to them—no. You can't have it on these terms. Maybe something similar. If they behave. If they don't cause too much trouble. You'll even give them all the same legal rights—even as you're taking away the legal right, which they already had. A world around them, still anchored in love and marriage, and you are saying, no, you can't marry. What if somebody passed a law that said you couldn't marry?

I keep hearing this term "re-defining" marriage. If this country hadn't re-defined marriage, black people still couldn't marry white people. Sixteen states had laws on the books which made that illegal in 1967. 1967.

The parents of the President-Elect of the United States couldn't have married in nearly one third of the states of the country their son grew up to lead. But it's worse than that. If this country had not "re-defined" marriage, some black people still couldn't marry black people. It is one of the most overlooked and cruelest parts of our sad story of slavery. Marriages were not legally recognized, if the people were slaves. Since slaves were property, they could not legally be husband and wife, or mother and child. Their marriage vows were different: not "Until Death, Do You Part," but "Until Death or Distance, Do You Part." Marriages among slaves were not legally recognized.

You know, just like marriages today in California are not legally recognized, if the people are gay.

And uncountable in our history are the number of men and women, forced by society into marrying the opposite sex, in sham marriages, or marriages of convenience, or just marriages of not knowing, centuries of men and women who have lived their lives in shame and unhappiness, and who have, through a lie to themselves or others, broken countless other lives, of spouses and children, all because we said a man couldn't marry another man, or a woman couldn't marry another woman. The sanctity of marriage.

How many marriages like that have there been and how on earth do they increase the "sanctity" of marriage rather than render the term, meaningless?

What is this, to you? Nobody is asking you to embrace their expression of love. But don't you, as human beings, have to embrace... that love? The world is barren enough.

It is stacked against love, and against hope, and against those very few and precious emotions that enable us to go forward. Your marriage only stands a 50-50 chance of lasting, no matter how much you feel and how hard you work.

And here are people overjoyed at the prospect of just that chance, and that work, just for the hope of having that feeling. With so much hate in the world, with so much meaningless division, and people pitted against people for no good reason, this is what your religion tells you to do? With your experience of life and this world and all its sadnesses, this is what your conscience tells you to do?

With your knowledge that life, with endless vigor, seems to tilt the playing field on which we all live, in favor of unhappiness and hate... this is what your heart tells you to do? You want to sanctify marriage? You want to honor your God and the universal love you believe he represents? Then Spread happiness—this tiny, symbolic, semantical grain of happiness—share it with all those who seek it. Quote me anything from your religious leader or book of choice telling you to stand against this. And then tell me how you can believe both that statement and another statement, another one which reads only "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

You are asked now, by your country, and perhaps by your creator, to stand on one side or another. You are asked now to stand, not on a question of politics, not on a question of religion, not on a question of gay or straight. You are asked now to stand, on a question of love. All you need do is stand, and let the tiny ember of love meet its own fate.

You don't have to help it, you don't have it applaud it, you don't have to fight for it. Just don't put it out. Just don't extinguish it. Because while it may at first look like that love is between two people you don't know and you don't understand and maybe you don't even want to know. It is, in fact, the ember of your love, for your fellow person just because this is the only world we have. And the other guy counts, too.

This is the second time in ten days I find myself concluding by turning to, of all things, the closing plea for mercy by Clarence Darrow in a murder trial.

But what he said, fits what is really at the heart of this:

"I was reading last night of the aspiration of the old Persian poet, Omar-Khayyam," he told the judge. It appealed to me as the highest that I can vision. I wish it was in my heart, and I wish it was in the hearts of all: So I be written in the Book of Love; I do not care about that Book above. Erase my name, or write it as you will, So I be written in the Book of Love."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Great job, Keith!

Like a friend of mine said in her blog Thursday, 'so you don't agree with gay marriage, here's a clue DON'T FUCKING GET ONE!!!'

Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Not sure how to embed msnbc stuff, (if anybody knows, please let me know lol) but just follow the link..
    I don't think you can embed msnbc stuff. Wish we could though...

That was an excellent "special comment." Wish more people were outraged about what happened.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Yeah I saw that tonight, he was truly enraged. I almost felt he was going to cry he was so angry.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

I couldn't finish reading this, it made me so angry and so sad and I can't afford to cry at work.

Thanks for posting it, Grimm.

Wow that was an excellent commentary, very emotional and appealed to the heart of the matter I thought. I don't watch him really, didn't know he had it in him.

Elite Member

It was emotional and was direct, but it wasn't like his angry screeds against Bush. He struck the right tone.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HpTBF6EfxY[/YOUTUBE]
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Damn, that actually made me cry. I love Keith.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

yeah, i got misty too.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

This is why you have to shift your approach to the issue. Everything he said is true when gay marriage is kept personal between the two people who are getting married.

But why are they trying to push Gay marriage tolerance in elementary schools? What's the point? That is the number one reason why people voted against it. I don't think people care about the gay aspect of it, its the way its being drawn into the public arena via children.

It's not pushing gay marriage, it's educating kids on what kind of family situations exist out there, so lil Timmy doesn't get the shit kicked out of him for having 2 dads.

If you teach them early on that these kinds of families exist along with all the others, it soon becomes a non-issue for them.

The bigots don't want that. If you teach kids to be decent human beings, it's harder for them to hate later on.

The bigots always bitch that they don't want their child "exposed" to it, like it's some disease they might catch.. that they'd rather them be ignorant of how people live because it goes against their "values" to teach them.. the values of bigotry.

It's the same thing as if they said "we dont want nobody teachin our youngin's about them blacks marryin white girls! it aint right!"

Frankly, too bad. Welcome to reality. These families exist. Deal with it.

If more kids are taught that it it's fine and these families are just like any other, the more accepting decent kids will grow up into decent human beings.

Hit By Ban Bus!

That's not really true. Children aren't educated about normal families at all. They just grow up in them. I have a biracial family and my kids are not educated about biracial families. So why this? Timmy is not going to be prevented in getting the shit kicked out of him because Mrs. Nelson in school told everyone that he has two dads is he? Come on? Did you even go to school? Think back?

Its ruinging your cause though. I can tell that you probably don't have kids.

I am the biggest advocate for gay rights. I agree with your outrage and its disgusting to me that this is happening.

However big big mistake to try to use other people's children to pave the way for your rights. Especially in an issue that has a lot of people confused about sexuality who believe that pedophiles are often gay? Why confuse the issue further.

I don't care what your rights are, leave my kids out of it. That's pretty much the sentitment of most parents. And I think this is why this issue failed.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstick View Post
    That's not really true. Children aren't educated about normal families at all.
    uH, they have books in the libraries about it. Kids are taught not to hate because of skin color and ethnicity. There's a whole section sof education devoted to it.

They just grow up in them. I have a biracial family and my kids are not educated about biracial families.
    Probably because it's no longer a big deal. Put yourself back about 50 years and then see.

So why this? Timmy is not going to be prevented in getting the shit kicked out of him because Mrs. Nelson in school told everyone that he has two dads is he? Come on? Did you even go to school? Think back?
    I'm talking back in kindergarten, when the kids are young enough to absorb ideas without the everpresent sarcasm the get later on. The same way kids are taught to look both ways crossing the street, or not to pet the strange dog.

Its ruinging your cause though. I can tell that you probably don't have kids.
    You still haven't presented any idea why it's BAD beyond "they don't do it here".

Maybe they should.

I am the biggest advocate for gay rights. I agree with your outrage and its disgusting to me that this is happening.
    Thanks.

However big big mistake to try to use other people's children to pave the way for your rights. Especially in an issue that has a lot of people confused about sexuality who believe that pedophiles are often gay? Why confuse the issue further.
    Education is the exact opposite of confusion. The information that that gay families are like any other will leech from the kids into their own families. It will raise questions, which the kids can then answer. To end ignorance you have to shed the light of education on people, and if you can't reach the adults yourself (and it's been what.. 40 years?), then maybe their more open minded children can teach THEM.

I don't care what your rights are, leave my kids out of it. That's pretty much the sentitment of most parents. And I think this is why this issue failed.
    Your kids get taught many things about the world. This is one of them. They learn about divorce and marriage when infants. How is this different?

It's not.

I *still* hear the latent fear and hesitation from people who don't want their kids taught that gay families are just as relevant and important as regular ones.. they cloak it in "leave my kids out of it" or "it's my choice to teach them about gays"... like if they had a choice, they simply wouldn't teach them at all.

Stop fearing.

Nobody objects to kids being taught racism is bad, and nobody says "it's my choice to teach them about racism".

Same thing.

Elite Member

To the best of my knowledge, they dont teach this at our school. My daughter through involvement in figure skating and horse showing has many gay 'uncles' and trainers, and understands that some people have 2 dads, etc. (she's 6), just like some kids have only a Mommy and no Daddy.

Now can I stand on my soap box for a second here? In America we are all supposed to have equal protection under the law. That to me means, every citizen, Black, White, Purple, Gay, Straight, Bi, Handicapped, Not, Tall or Short should have the same rights. Period. It was truly amazing to me during this elections that African Americans who had so long being denied their rights in this country could go into the voting booth and at the exact same time as they voted for the first African American President could pull the lever to deny another group the same rights they so long faught to get for themselves. The irony of that is breathtaking. *gets down off the soapbox*

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information