Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Austrian journalist: incredibly racist anti-Obama rant

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Top Austrian journalist: incredibly racist anti-Obama rant

Klaus Emmerich has long been a figure in Austrian television news. His journalism career spans 61 years and includes a stint as a correspondent in Washington D.C. for ORF, Austria's public television station. He is something like the Wolf Blitzer of Austria.

Or, at least, he was. Now, the respected US expert has stained his own report card with a string of blatantly racist remarks regarding the election of Barack Obama in the US. Speaking on a talk show on the Austrian public channel ORF on Wednesday, he said: "I wouldn't want the Western world to be directed by a black man. When you say that is a racist remark: right, without a doubt."

Americans are "racists, now as before, and it must be going very badly for them that they so convincingly ... send a black man, and a black, very good-looking woman, into the White House," he said.

The Austrian broadcaster distanced itself from his views, saying it was against any form of discrimination. "We have never had any comments from Mr. Emmerich which would indicate he has such opinions," Pius Strobl, head of communications at the channel told SPIEGEL ONLINE.

NEWSLETTER
    Sign up for Spiegel Online's daily newsletter and get the best of Der Spiegel's and Spiegel Online's international coverage in your In- Box everyday.

Following his outburst, the moderator prevented the now-retired Emmerich from having another chance to speak, Pius said.

But Emmerich himself voiced no regret. On the contrary, he even took a harder line in subsequent interviews. Obama's victory was an "extremely disconcerting development" he told the Austrian Standard on Wednesday, because "blacks aren't as politically civilized." Meanwhile, he told Die Presse in an interview published on Friday that Obama has "a devil-like talent to present his rhetoric so effectively."

Dieter Brosz, a speaker of the Green Party, was one of many riled by the comments. He urged the channel not to give Emmerich a platform again. "Racist remarks have no place on ORF and are to be avoided." 'Devil-Like Talent': Austrian Journalist Slammed For Racist Obama Rant - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Guess this guy's going to take over where Jorge Heider left off. Sorry but the Austrians reallly should get over this stuff and fast. They already have enough to answer for.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

he sounds like any american racist *shrug*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yeah, but the fact that he's the so-called Wolf Blitzer of Austrian journalism is what's scary, plus the fact that he stands by his comments. PLUS the fact that he's bloody Austrian. Don't these people ever learn?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

At least Sylvio Berlousconi was funny..he said BO is *young,cute AND TANNED*lol
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Yeah, I like my racism much more when it tickles my funny bone. They can both fuck right off.

--Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

I can't see how anyone can say these kinds of things and think it makes them look like anything than an ignorant fool.

Well,it is well known fascism has deep roots in both countries..

Interesting that not only does he not distance himself from his remarks but he proudly stands by them. There's no denying that for all of the world's elation at Obama's election, and nonwithstanding the politicians that have congratulated him, I'm sure many are a bit uneasy. With this one election it has not only changed the fabric of American society, but also world society.

No longer can European nations smugly point their fingers at how bad everything is in America, race relations, crime, etc. Great Britain may have ended slavery before the U.S., but we sure showed the European nations what furthering race relations is all about. Those blue bloods must be quaking in their boots.

Berlosconi has also crapped out other racists comments in the past and is currently scapegoating minorities in the country as well.

A*O

Sorry if I offend any Austrians but I've visited the place a few times and on every occasion I've been stunned by the beautiful scenary and shocked by the arrogance of the people. One hotel manager actually called me a British pig when I caught him out over-charging several items on the bill. I'm probably being racist too but Austrians really do have a major attitude problem, always have.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

My kids follow their football team all over Europe for years.
    Vienna last winter was the only place they were attacked,inside the field and out,and eldery people and kids between them.
    Skinheads hacked our fans forum and didnt like anti racism posters or Che pictures..so they were waiting for the fans to visit and they attacked,stones ,beer cans..the works..

I have known quite a few Austrians personally, through personal contacts. They were arrogant, offensive, and self-absorbed. I am sorry if this offends any Austrians, but the ones I have known were not definitely almost impossible to tolerate, let alone like.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The only Austrian I ever met was this man named Uva who I stayed with as a third roommate via a friend years ago. We were talking about the difficulties in getting a job one day and I gave him some pointers. Then for a week or so he made every excuse in the book why he couldn't find a job. I got caught up in his crap and we wound up having a fight about it and he looked at me really furiously and started in on me. He started yelling at me.....

"I don't care what you say any more this is my life, go ahead with youre own life and leave me alone!!"

I was taken a back for a second, then it
    slowly
    dawned
    on me

that he was yelling the lyrics to the Bosom Buddies theme song which was a show he watched loyally. He was trying to pass this off as his own argument. I started laughing in his face and then he moved out the next day and we never heard from him again.

Random i know.....but you reminded me.

The Krauts have a rep for arrogance. Even the ones who occasionally phone local talk radio often start off by matter of factly describing North Americans as ignorant and ill informed. "Are you so stupid as not to be knowing what every German school child is taught??" sort of thing. Just don't call 'em Nazis cause it hurts their feelings.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTFkqCEYON8[/YOUTUBE]

A*O

There is most definitely a "germanic" personality but I've never had a problem with Germans. Only Austrians.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information