Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderates to blame for GOP losses, conservative leader says

Default Moderates to blame for GOP losses, conservative leader says

A conservative leader Friday laid the Republican Party's poor showing at the polls at the feet of moderates who, he argues, led the party away from its core principles. Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council told CNN that conservatives need to take back control of the GOP if the party is to return to its winning ways. "Moderates never beat conservatives. We've seen that in past elections," he said.

Rejecting suggestions that the conservative movement was viewed as being out of touch with the electorate, Perkins says the Republican Party needs to go back to basics.

"It's a return to fundamental conservative principles that Ronald Reagan showed work and that people can be attracted to," Perkins said.
    Pointing to measures in California, Florida and Arizona barring same-sex marriage that passed Tuesday, Perkins said President-elect Barack Obama's election did not mean the country had embraced liberal social views.
    "There was clearly no mandate to shift the country to the left on social issues," Perkins said. "What Tuesday was, was a fact that people wanted change, and it's a rejection of a moderate view."

Perkins' comments come after a post-election conservative conclave met at an undisclosed location in northern Virginia on Thursday.

One of the prominent conservatives who attended the meeting, Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform, said the group's goal was to rebuild the conservative movement in all 50 states.

"There's no one leader. There are many leaders," Norquist said. "One of the things that the meeting decided is they wouldn't decide something. They won't endorse a candidate. It was the first meeting of a series of meetings of how do we structure, how do we increase building." Perkins also said the meeting was meant to get the various wings of the conservative movement talking again.

"What has made the conservative movement strong is when you have social conservatives, fiscal conservatives and foreign policy conservatives working together," he said. "This was the first step in what will be a long journey in rebuilding that communication and that common vision."

Norquist said one of the lessons the conservatives took away from Tuesday night's results was that they focused too much on the presidential race and not enough on helping congressional candidates.

In addition to Sen. John McCain, a Republican standard bearer, losing his bid for the White House, House Republicans will have at least 26 fewer seats in the next Congress, and Republicans could have a few as 40 seats in the Senate.

"As a national movement, a conservative movement, as a national Republican Party, it was certainly a mistake to focus on the presidency. It would be a mistake to focus on the elected officials in Washington," Norquist said. "So we rebuild, not just in Washington, but in all 50 states."

Moderates to blame for GOP losses, conservative leader says - CNN.com

No, John McCain and Sarah Palin's dumb fuckery is the reason why. Sorry the people don't want to continue to live in the dark ages, GOP.

uh, people rejected the batshit crazy religious right wingers who've been running the GOP for a decade.

Wtf, Bush and his cronies were not moderate. Speaking of out of touch...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think this guy has it exactly ass backwards - the conservative wing moved way too far to the right and opened its doors to the fringe wingnuts, making them appear more mainstream. When they let the christian coalition take over and set the policy they pushed the Repub party way way way off center. Since they moved so far to the right of center, they cannot blame the moderates who were stranded to the left of the new center.

I would like to see 3 parties - Consrvatives, Moderates and Liberals. That way there would be a place for those of us who fall in the middle.

Your democrats seem pretty middle of the road to me. The neocons scare me. There's no REAL lefty party down there.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Ha, David Brooks (a traditional conservative, not a neo-con) was on NPR yesterday saying that this is EXACTLY what the right-wingers will say--that they need to swing more to the right-- but that they are dead wrong.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Those moderates are always fucking everything up with their lack of passion and extremism!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Your democrats seem pretty middle of the road to me. The neocons scare me. There's no REAL lefty party down there.

I so totally agree with you about that!!! And dont forget the religious nuts as well- I find it pretty ironic that the Conservatives here are more in sync with the Democrats. I find it hilarious though that the rightwing nuts are portraying Obama as an extreme liberal when he is more centre right/left with his policies.

It's really sad when you don't even know what you did wrong when you lose. This itty-bitty-shitty-committee of fringe lunatics will have to completely divorce itself from the rest of the party before it realizes what a small minority it really is, apparently. Ciao and good riddance. By the time they figure out the writing on the wall it's gonna be a little late, they can probably kiss 2012 goodbye too.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

McCain when he was running early on, before he sold out, won because he was moderate. The country was sick of the right wing nut jobs. McCain started to really lose when he went too far to the right.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Idiots. I give up. They never learn.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

No, they lost because ....

1) they fucked up the economy

2) they fucked up the war in Iraq

3) they went against conservative principles and spent like drunken sailors (doubling this nation's national debt), worse than "big government democrats"

4) they don't give a shit about anybody who isn't filthy rich

5) they nominated a corpse who had absolutely no charisma or new ideas for governing this country

6) for his vp, he chose a right wing nut job who doesn't have two brain cells to rub together

Bush and his cohorts are the worst things ever to happen to the Republican party. It will take years to recover from the damage they did to the image of the Republican party.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Ha, David Brooks (a traditional conservative, not a neo-con) was on NPR yesterday saying that this is EXACTLY what the right-wingers will say--that they need to swing more to the right-- but that they are dead wrong.
    Yup. This graphic is on Paul Krugman's blog. I'm not sure what article it was from, but as you can see from it, the Republican party is turning into a regional party. They barely have any Republican senators and representatives from the Northeast.

Wow, that map is unbelievable. With all that blue, you'd think it would have been even a bigger blowout. It's surprising that Missouri went for McCain, given its tinge - although it was within 5-6,000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information