Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 349,000 illegal immigrants deported in 2008

Gold Member

Thumbs up 349,000 illegal immigrants deported in 2008

Illegal immigrant detentions up 7% - The Denver Post

A good percentage of these illegals who were deported have criminal records, which is why it is such a bad idea not to monitor who you let into your country.

Deportations have been increasing rapidly over the past few years (Hopefully, Obama keeps up this trend.) When you add this to the poor economy and tougher laws against illegal immigrants in some states, hopefully some progress is being made on this issue (i.e. illegal aliens are self-deporting and less illegals are entering our country every year.)

However, I still see many illegal immigrant day laborers lining the side of the road every day looking for work. Why does ICE allow them to flaunt the law so openly? They loiter on the property of businesses. This shouldn't be tolerated.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

They allow them to 'flaunt the law' because without illegals many industries would not be able to run profitably. Teh restaurant industry would be a great example of this, as would various building and landscaping companies.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I am all for deporting illegals. They have no right to be here, and I have no sympathy for them. This news pleases me very much.

Illegal immigration costs California alone over $10 billion a YEAR.

Illegal Immigration Costs California $10.5 Billion Annually

I don't like them being here, undercutting citizens for jobs and using loads of resources. A lot of illegals don't put their money back into the economy- they send it to their native country.

They're committing a CRIME and I think it's time we stop rewarding them for it.
    Last edited by southernbelle; November 6th, 2008 at 10:39 PM.

Eh, my grandpa entered America illegally, on the run from teh law. He turned out ok. Of course, he was white so probably not so much of an issue. I'd like to see all the illegal Irish in Boston rounded up. It's estimated that roughly 50 thousand illegal Irish are in America and I suppose if they rounded them up they could really boost those numbers.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

That number should be higher. If you are committing a crime by being here, you should be rounded up and tossed out.

349,000 isn't going to make a dent. It just upsets me that there are people trying so hard to get here, and work so hard..and they can't...but someone basically just walks in...

All sorts of people are illegal in America, for all sorts of reasons. And when they say 'a good percentage' are criminals they aren't giving figures on how many and they're not saying what their crimes were. Hell, they could have a record for jaywalking or pulling a dine and dash. And really, what about those damned Irish? I say get those palefaces outta the country, stat.

--Sinclair Lewis

My husband and I put a lot of time and energy to him being a legal resident. It can be done, and it should. Otherwise its a slap in the face to those people who go through hoops to do it the right way. Illegal immigration is a hot button issue for me. Do you know that we were told by a legal immigrations attorney that the waiting times for people who are applying to move here legally are increasing substantially because of all the problems INS is encountering because of the illegal immigrants? So all the while good people are waiting for their papers and eagerly waiting to come here, others are just using our resources and paying no mind, paying no taxes, and shipping all of their money back over to the countries where they came from. Its like blatant line cutting. Nix that, its like someone cutting the line, and then walking out of the store without paying a damn thing. It should make people angry.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    My husband and I put a lot of time and energy to him being a legal resident. It can be done, and it should. Otherwise its a slap in the face to those people who go through hoops to do it the right way. Illegal immigration is a hot button issue for me. Do you know that we were told by a legal immigrations attorney that the waiting times for people who are applying to move here legally are increasing substantially because of all the problems INS is encountering because of the illegal immigrants? So all the while good people are waiting for their papers and eagerly waiting to come here, others are just using our resources and paying no mind, paying no taxes, and shipping all of their money back over to the countries where they came from. Its like blatant line cutting. Nix that, its like someone cutting the line, and then walking out of the store without paying a damn thing. It should make people angry.
    Great point. I totally agree.

A*O

In a mirco level, the price of your fresh fruit and vegetables would go through the roof if illegals weren't there to pick and pack them.

While I strongly disapprove of illegals receiving welfare perks and other benefits they are a 'necessary evil' so long as the home-grown labour force remains unwilling to do the shitty jobs the illegals do for us.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I understand how difficult it is to get residency or visas of any sort for any country since I've been through it legally a number of times and am probably considered an ideal citizen in any country outside of the Middle East. That said, I know people from various countries who were illegal in the States. Some were hard working from Mexico, Ireland, England, etc. The ones I met that were losers were druggies from Europe who just over-stayed their visas and bought false papers on the streets. I think alot of people, particularly from south of the border, come to make a better life and I can't blame them for trying. I would do the same if it meant something more for my family. Anyone ever wonder why they have Green Card lotteries in various European countries, yet it's very, very difficult to get one if you come from a more pigmented country? Yes, folks, the immigration process is slightly race-tainted. I say give them residency and take their taxes, then people won't bitch about them sponging off the system.

--Sinclair Lewis

But isn't that just rewarding them for indulging in illegal behavior? I understand its complicated. But what really pisses me off is that we have made ZERO effort to stop the inflow of illegal immigrants into the States. We talk about the ones here now, but what about the ones here tomorrow? Its bullshit that we have taken no preventative measures whatsoever. And as far as it being difficult to get legal residency, my husband was from the Middle East and we had it no more harder than any other country to get legal residency. There are plenty of people here legally from Mexico, in fact they are one of the highest groups granted legal visas. It can be done, and they attest to that. So lets not try to make excuses for the behavior. Sure, they may want a better life, but there are means to go about it. They chose an illegal one and to abuse the system, so its not pulling on my heartstrings much. Especially when other people suffer for it.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

The fact still stands that Mexico is not currently included on the Green Card lottery, meaning anyone who wants to legally come to the States from there is basically barking up the wrong tree. Also, the American immigration policy is and has been rife with racism. As late at the early 1990's there was a program promoting emigration from Northern Europe witht the stated aim of attracting more white Europeans since there had been so many non-whites coming in (legally) and it alarmed Congress.

It is an incredibly complicated issue with no easy answers and i don't think it's making excuses or an attempt to pull anyone's heart strings when I say that the majority of people come over the border, knowing full well they are breaking the law, because they want a better life for themselves and those they love. And I can't see how people are really suffering, quite frankly. The amount it costs anyone out of their taxes is so small as to barely be noticable. I'll wager any one of us spend more on coffee in two days than it costs us, personally as tax payers, in a year on this issue.

--Sinclair Lewis

I agree with Buttmunch... it's not like they come here to make someone's life worse or anything like that.
    They just want opportunity for better life.

punish the people that hire them.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information