Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia to close libraries, pools, in effort to close budget hole

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Philadelphia to close libraries, pools, in effort to close budget hole

HILADELPHIA - The city will close libraries and swimming pools, suspend planned tax reductions, cut more than 800 jobs and trim salaries for some administrators in order to weather "an economic storm" that could leave the city with a $1 billion shortfall, Mayor Michael Nutter said Thursday.

Nutter outlined the drastic budget cuts in a live, 10-minute televised address a rarity that represented an attempt to convey the dire nature of the city's financial situation.

"The city must prepare for the worst," Nutter said. "Painful program and service cuts are necessary."
    Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The city is facing a deficit of $108 million this year, and the shortfall could grow to more than $1 billion by 2013, Nutter said.

The fiscal problems stem from the same troubles overwhelming the national and global economies, he said.

Job cuts include layoffs and open positions
    The city has about 23,000 employees, according to the Pennsylvania Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority, a state agency that helps oversee Philadelphia's budgets.

The job cuts include 220 layoffs and the elimination of 600 open positions.

Nutter said no firefighters or police officers will be laid off, but 200 police vacancies will go unfilled and some fire equipment will be taken out of service.

Nutter also is calling for about 2,000 employees to be put on five-day, unpaid furloughs in 2009 and 2010.

Cabinet-level officials, including deputy mayors and Nutter himself, will face salary cuts of 3.75 percent to 5 percent.

State budget gaps widening as economy slumps

Other major cities including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago are facing similar issues, Nutter said.

Some of the changes, such as the furloughs, can be imposed without legislative approval, but other aspects will be sent before City Council. Legislation already was introduced Thursday morning to raise some city fees.

Councilman Frank DiCicco said he understands the gravity of the situation.

"I'm a realist. There is no money," DiCicco said.Philadelphia to close libraries, cut jobs - Life
    Closing libraries is just wrong, wrong, wrong. Why can't they ask the many, many book-lovers to volunteer so that they can stay open? What the fuck??? I love libraries and really, when people are having trouble paying the bills they aren't going to be able to buy books so need to borrow them instead. Get me the mayor on the line! I need to have a chat.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

san diego announced today that they are cutting Police and Fire dept money. i'd rather they cut the library stuff. i'd love to see a list of departments in these cities, and i would go through them and cut funds. like for instance, the ridiculous wages the city council, mayor etc earn.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Butt - we have tons on libraries in Philly. Many are in bad shape and would be better served by being closed and consolidated to other nearby locations. It makes sense to shutter those buildings instead of paying for the needed repairs and the utilities to keep them open and heated for winter.

But why can't they ask volunteers to staff the library? I would do it in a mili-second. I mean, come on, spend all day surrounded by beautiful books, advising people on them, fondling them, keeping the best aside for me? This is what it means to do your civic duty people! Anyone here from Philly needs to do their part.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

There will still be plenty of open libraries. They already utilize tons of volunteers along with paid union staff. I am not kidding when I say some of these buildings are in bad shape. Some should be condemned.

But that's the joy of libraries. Who knows when a great book you overlooked might fall from the rafters? Sure, it might knock you unconscious but when you wake up you'll have a great read!

--Sinclair Lewis

I work in book publishing. Hearing about library closings (and assuming there's already a lot of freeze on purchasing new books) tells me that my industry is going to be facing some big problems.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

In all seriousness, I find it sad as hell. Where do kids go to get books? Old people? Anyone who doesn't have available cash? I consider libraries to be extremely important. I may have to move to Philly and help these folks out.

--Sinclair Lewis

My son and I go to the library at least once a week. We were there yesterday and again today.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

When I've been down on my funds I've always used the local library. Hell, I must have 20 library cards from various cities and countries. I would be so upset without a local library in my neighborhood.

--Sinclair Lewis

It seems to me they could get some corporate sponsership and keep some of this open. Or sell ads-whatever it takes.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Not sure about the corporate sponsorship since they may have some sort of agenda, such as 'you can't carry that book because it offends our outlook/beliefs/bottom line.

--Sinclair Lewis

Shinola - I already heard that some publishers are facing difficulties- my friend just lost her job because the publisher that she works for are facing difficulties and they had to downsize

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    In all seriousness, I find it sad as hell. Where do kids go to get books? Old people? Anyone who doesn't have available cash? I consider libraries to be extremely important. I may have to move to Philly and help these folks out.
    Butt - I will be here to welcome you when you move to Philly. I too love libararies and use my township library weekly. I often use the Philly libraries too since they have a much greater selection. There are 53 branches in the city. They are only closing a few and those are locations where another library is very close by. The kids also have a free lending library in each public school. There are many senior centers which provide free trans to the elderly which includes taking them to the library. No one will not be able to get a book if they want one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information