Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melissa Etheridge to California: 'You can forget my taxes'

Default Melissa Etheridge to California: 'You can forget my taxes'

No same-sex marriage, no more tax dollars from Melissa Etheridge.

That's the defiant stand taken by the 44-year-old singer in a new blog post following the passage of California's Proposition 8.

Etheridge declares that if she's not "allowed the same right [to marry] under the state constitution as any other citizen. ... I am taking that to mean I do not have to pay my state taxes, because I am not a full citizen."

"Okay," she continues. "There is a lot I can do with the extra half a million dollars that I will be keeping instead of handing it over to the state of California."

Etheridge opposed the ballot measure along with Brad Pitt, Mary J. Blige, Ellen DeGeneres, and Sacha Baron Cohen.

The controversial constitutional amendment, which overturns a California Supreme Court decision that allowed for same-sex marriages, may retroactively invalidate the unions of DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi, who tied the knot in August, and George Takei and Brad Altman, who married in September, as well as the hundreds of regular people who were able to legally take their vows for a brief few months this summer.

Etheridge ends her blog with a message for Prop 8 supporters: "Gay people are born everyday. You will never legislate that away."

Melissa Etheridge to California: 'You Can Forget My Taxes' - Melissa Etheridge : People.com
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Fuckin right! Every homo should do the same, and then challenge that shit in court if the IRS comes bitching
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

awesome!!

What a great idea, there are tons of rich Californians who could boycott paying state taxes and make it a statewide thing. Rock'n'roll.

good for her!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Gold Member

Have fun in jail, Melissa!

Should polygamists, incestuous couples, etc. not pay their state taxes either because they are not allowed to marry?

I don't have an opinion on gay marriage one way or the other (it's a non-issue for me), but the state does have the power to regulate who it allows to marry. That is why there are some states where you can marry an adopted brother/sister, others where you can't. Each state decides it's own public policy.
    Last edited by purple rain; November 6th, 2008 at 07:19 PM.

Always loved her, and now I've added another reason. Take that!

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post

Should polygamists, incestuous couples, etc. not pay their state taxes either because they are not allowed to marry?

I don't have an opinion on gay marriage one way or the other (it's a non-issue for me), but the state does have the power to regulate who it allows to marry. That is why there are some states where you can marry an adopted brother/sister, others where you can't. Each state decides it's own public policy.
    Why are gays lumped in with them exactly?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Actually, the only way to be a polygamist is to get married
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Incestuous couple, people who marry their brothers and sisters.. What the hell do that have to do with gay people being allowed to marry the person they love. That comparison is disgusting, and the argument is rather juvenile!!
    Good for you Melissa!! Rock ON!! We have your back!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

maybe affirmative action is to blame.

I like her music. While she is in jail, I am sure she will have a great deal of time to work on new material.

Tax evasion is only going to hurt her.

She might move to another state. I don't blame her. She has been treated like a non-person.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    maybe affirmative action is to blame.
    I was gonna say that, but I would've been wrong...

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hit By Ban Bus!

It always intrigues me the way homosexuals are equated with polygamists, pedophiles and beastiality when homosexual couples are usually dedicated and healthy people.

Meanwhile pedophiles, murderers and people in prisons for horrible crimes are not only allowed to get married but to have conjugal visits. Because to deny that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

While I certainly understand her anger and emotions, there is something that troubles me. It seems that the anger from many is being directed at the wrong people and institutions.

I feel the same way about the protestors protesting in front of that Mormon church. Yes the Mormon church contributed a lot of money and whatnot but that's to be expected of a church with some backwards arse views on many things.

But the unsettling fact is that this proposition was approved by many Californians who would on one hand immediately criticize racism, yet in the same breath condemn gay people. That really makes me uncomfortable. It's not like people were holding a gun to their heads to vote yes.

Yes we can expect the fundies and lunatics to embrace homophobia. But it sucks that "average" joes voted yes on this sucker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information