Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOP lawyer dispatched to Alaska to retrieve Sarah Palin's clothes

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default GOP lawyer dispatched to Alaska to retrieve Sarah Palin's clothes

Reporting from Phoenix -- Sarah Palin left the national stage Wednesday, but the controversy over her role on the ticket flared as aides to John McCain disclosed new details about her expensive wardrobe purchases and revealed that a Republican Party lawyer would be dispatched to Alaska to inventory and retrieve the clothes still in her possession.

Tensions have simmered for much of the last month between aides loyal to McCain and those loyal to Palin, but they boiled over after the Republican nominee's defeat, as both sides spoke freely -- though anonymously -- about the wardrobe controversy and other conflicts.

Two aides to McCain and two to Palin discussed the tensions but asked that their names not be revealed, saying they were not comfortable speaking openly about internal operations.

The miscommunication and quarrels between the two camps lasted into Tuesday night, said McCain aides familiar with the situation. Palin arrived at the Arizona Biltmore planning to deliver a speech before McCain's concession speech, they said, but was told by senior McCain aides Steve Schmidt and Mark Salter that it would not be appropriate.

Fox News reported Wednesday that Palin's lack of knowledge on some topics also strained relations. Carl Cameron reported that campaign sources told him Palin had resisted coaching before her faltering Katie Couric interviews; did not understand that Africa was a continent rather than a country; and could not name the three nations that are part of the North American Free Trade Agreement -- the United States, Canada and Mexico.

For weeks, the McCain-Palin campaign has dealt with the fallout from the disclosure that the Republican National Committee was billed for $150,000 in wardrobe purchases for the Palin family -- a discovery that was widely ridiculed and undercut Palin's hockey mom appeal.

Several McCain aides said they had recently discovered that Palin's traveling staff had used personal credit cards to spend as much as $20,000 to $30,000 on additional wardrobe items for Palin.

Palin and her press aides were traveling back to Alaska on Wednesday and could not be reached for comment. But one aide earlier told Newsweek: "Gov. Palin was not directing staffers to put anything on their personal credit cards, and anything that staffers put on their credit cards has been reimbursed, like an expense."

The original $150,000 in purchases was revealed in late October after the release of the September and October Federal Election Commission filings by the Republican National Committee. Those reports revealed that more than $75,062.63 was spent at Neiman Marcus, $49,425.74 at Saks Fifth Avenue and $5,102.71 at Bloomingdale's around the time of the Republican National Convention in early September.

The campaign has said that many of those clothes were returned.

But McCain aides said Wednesday that spending on Palin's wardrobe continued well after the convention, with one custom-made outfit showing up around the time of her "Saturday Night Live" appearance on Oct. 18.

As first reported by Newsweek on Wednesday, McCain aides said some of that money was spent on clothing for Palin's children and husband, Todd, who may have received between $20,000 and $40,000 in wardrobe purchases. The money also included thousands of dollars in shoes. Several aides also said the items included jewelry, but a Palin aide disputed that.

Top McCain aides Schmidt, Rick Davis and Nicolle Wallace were flabbergasted by the magnitude of the spending as the receipts began trickling into the Republican National Committee, aides said.

Wallace had arranged for a stylist to shop for Palin before the convention because the Alaska governor did not have a chance to return home after she was selected as McCain's running mate.

Aides familiar with the campaign's internal discussions said Wallace and other top aides authorized the purchase of three outfits for Palin to wear during convention week and three ensembles for the campaign trail. But cost was to be kept to no more than $25,000 to $35,000.

When Schmidt learned that Palin's staff was putting clothing purchases on personal credit cards, aides said he called them to stop it.

Palin aides tell a different story. Several close to the governor said Wednesday that Palin was outraged by the amount of money being spent on her clothing and that she was naive about what the clothes cost.

"The very first day of shopping, there was a $14,000 price tag and . . . she was absolutely shocked," one of the Palin aides said.

Palin was not pleased by what had been selected for her, the aide said, adding that "a lot of that stuff that was purchased was never worn by her -- that was by her choice."

When the shopping spree hit the press, she appeared frustrated, telling audiences that she wears a lot of her own clothing and hadn't asked for the lavish purchases.

Resentments had started to brew earlier. Palin was not comfortable with the team of handlers sent by party headquarters to manage her appearances, and there were frequent conflicts between the staff at headquarters and her traveling staff. Palin felt constrained by the fact that she had little decision-making power, and questioned the directions being given to her by the campaign, an aide said.

In an interview with CNN on Wednesday, Palin denied that there were tensions with the McCain camp. But that is at odds with accounts from aides on both sides. The strain worsened, the aides said, after Palin was recorded talking to a Canadian comedian who pretended to be French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Campaign staffers said McCain's top aides were blindsided by the call, which they said was approved by Palin foreign policy aide Steve Biegun.

McCain aides said the Palin camp did not notify McCain's senior staff or the State Department about the supposed contact. Outraged, Schmidt organized a conference call. He demanded to know who had arranged the call, and questioned why anyone would have agreed to such an unusual request and then failed to clear it with top staff, McCain aides said.

Biegun immediately took responsibility. In an interview Wednesday, he said some aides at McCain headquarters were in fact aware of the call, and that it had been on the schedule for "a couple days."

"I was fooled," he said. "No one's going to beat me up more than I beat myself up for setting up the governor like that."http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-palin6-2008nov06,0,5597211.story

Sorry there's a lot of repeat stuff but how hilarious is it that they're sending someone to get the clothes back? Talk about a slap in the face.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I bet she's barricated herself in. Or possibly will attempt to shoot the lawyer down from a helicopter.

No getting between a girl and her clothes!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Was her stylist Kim Kardashian???
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

THEY SHOULD. Seriously, thats fraudulent use of funds in my book. If there was a specific spending limit and she exceeded it by five times the amount, she needs her feet held to the fire. I love how her staff said "she didn't even wear some of the stuff" like that excuses it. To me, it makes it even WORSE. I do understand that they needed some ensembles for her. If they had stayed within 25 grand, I would have excused it, even though it still seems extravagant. But upwards of 150 grand, and also clothing her whole family? Why did her husband and kids need free clothes? And if she saw a 14,000 price tag on the FIRST day of spending, she knew exactly what was going on. Give me a break! She deserves to be crucified on this issue. She's not a little lamb like other people like to think.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Its rumoured that the 150 grand figure is pretty conservative and they spent way more than that. But even if they got the clothes back which I doubt- this woman wont give in lol
    Who would want Palin's worn clothing ?

"Gov. Palin was not directing staffers to put anything on their personal credit cards, and anything that staffers put on their credit cards has been reimbursed, like an expense."

I love that bit. If she didn't ask for anything on their personal cards, what do they need reimbursement for? Sounds like her aides are as intelligent as she is.

uh, actioned for charity? isnt that what mcsame said would become of said clothes? Yeahh... that happened.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Default Re

Maybe after they seize the articles they can hold one of those govt auctions, like they do with stuff that's been seized from criminals, repossessed, etc. They could put any money they make against the deficit.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

How would you like to be the poor schlub forced to go repo the clothes?

Never has so much money been outlaid to look so damn average.

Elite Member

I think it would be funny if they put her clothes on Ebay, like that plane...

LOL.. Palin will appear in the history books of my children.. under the heading "Political Disasters That Shook America" or some shit like that... she's a piece of work. I'm honored to have experienced the making of such a huge political mistake first hand.

Two "mavericks" in a paper bag, fighting each other to be the first to get out!!!

they really are finishing her off, aren't they. looks like she pissed McCain off way more than he let on, like they want too make sure she's to embarassed to ever show her face in the lower 48 again.

Yeah, but she has just as many people rallying around her. Not quite sure why. To be fair, she has been handed a lot of the blame here, which she should SHARE, not own wholly herself. But at the same time, haven't her supporters caught on at this stage that this woman is a moron?
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

No! They're blind to the truth, no matter how obvious some of it may be. It's flabbergasting to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information