Thread: John McCain and Sarah Palin go their separate ways, in separate ways

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default John McCain and Sarah Palin go their separate ways, in separate ways

ABC News' Imtiyaz Delawala and Bret Hovell report: One day after conceding the presidential election to Sen. Barack Obama, Sen. John McCain and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin have gone their separate ways, both departing Phoenix today after two months on the campaign trail as the Republican presidential ticket.

Palin left the Arizona Biltmore hotel Wednesday afternoon in a motorcade stretching more than a dozen vehicles, flanked by a dozen more cops on motorcycles. She was joined by some 18 family members and friends who had made the trip from Alaska to Phoenix to watch Election Night returns.

In contrast, John McCain drove himself in his own gold Toyota Sequoia SUV -- with friend and Senate colleague Lindsey Graham riding shotgun -- from his condo in Phoenix to his secluded compound in Sedona for a few days of rest there.

The separate departures seemed a striking metaphor for the two who together sought the White House: one the party elder, not expected to run for president again, back on his own after the pomp and circumstance died down; the other a rising star in the Republican party, whose political celebrity is now nearly as big as the president-electís.

To be sure, McCain had resisted the Secret Service when he gained his partyís nomination, and was likely anxious for them to conclude their protection of him, preferring to drive to his Sedona ranch on his own.

Palin, on the other hand, was still 2,500 miles away from her home in Wasilla, Alaska, and was traveling with her large contingent of family and friends returning home, as well as three staff members and a full secret service detail who will continue with her for a few more days as she transitions back to her life in Alaska Ė where Palin drives herself to work every day.

While McCain did not speak with the press at any point today, Gov. Palin fielded questions from reporters for a second time as she departed the Arizona Biltmore hotel for the Phoenix airport, where her plane took off shortly after 4 p.m. mountain time for the nearly six-hour flight back to Alaska.

As she did this morning, Palin declined to speculate on her own future political ambitions, saying she was looking forward to returning to the governorís office in Alaska.

But she said she plans to stay on the national scene by pushing the new Obama administration on energy policy Ė the issue she focused the most passion and detail on during her two months on the national campaign trail.

"I see my role as the governor of Alaska allowing our nation to become energy secure," Palin said to reporters before leaving her Phoenix hotel. "Alaska can lead this effort, and as governor I wanna be there on the forefront helping to make this nation more secure."

"So weíll reach out to Barack Obama and to the people who he surrounds himself with," Palin said of her desire to work with the new president-elect on the issue. "A united effort that we certainly will be making here in order to secure our nation and allow us to be more prosperous."

While she had often served as the attack dog on the campaign trail, Palin expressed pride in the election of Obama as the first African-American president, and in her own historic run as the first female Republican vice presidential nominee.

"Itís been an honor and I feel like itís just been such a blessing to have the opportunity to represent women who work hard all across this nation every single day, as they too balance that life/work balance that needs to be struck, and just being able to represent women," Palin said, while holding her six-month-old son Trig in her arms, while her seven-year-old daughter Piper and husband Todd stood at her side. Palin was dressed casually in black sweatpants and a blue sweatshirt with the words "Alaska Grown" on it -- looking more like the Alaska "hockey mom" she often touted in campaign speeches.

"It says all good things about our country, and the progress that we have made and the barriers that have come down," Palin added. "I couldnít be more proud of where we are today, you know, this minority status now being kind of propelled to the forefront, thatís healthy."

Palin declined to engage in any criticism of her campaign, saying the experience had been "entirely positive and refreshing and energizing," and adding that the day should instead belong to President-Elect Obama and his historic election win.

"I have absolutely no intention of engaging in any of the negativity because this has been all positive for me for what I believe in, the values that I represent and the progress that I wanna see America be able to make," Palin said when asked about post-election finger-pointing. "Just absolutely no time for the pettiness. And thatís kinda just the way Iím wired. I donít have time for that."

"This is an historic moment. Barack Obama has been elected president," Palin added. "And God bless Barack Obama and his beautiful family and the new administration coming in. It is time that we all pulled together and worked together and Americaís going to reach her destiny." Political Radar: McCain and Palin Go Their Separate Ways, in Separate Ways

Interesting that she, the one who isn't smarter than a 5-year-old, takes this opportunity to have one last diva moment, while he takes the somber route.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

But she said she plans to stay on the national scene by pushing the new Obama administration on energy policy Ė
    What makes Miss Mooseballs think she has any credibility to be pushing Obama on anything?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    What makes Miss Mooseballs think she has any credibility to be pushing Obama on anything?
    I'm sure Obama will very politely turn her down.

Although in my scenario, he'd say "Bitch, please."

I want to see her push anything other than people's buttons.

Dear Sarah (Epic) Failin,

You are an idiot. You single-handedly lost John McCain's campaign. Find something which can be quietly done in Wasilla and fade into obscurity, as you have already achieved the title of most irrelevant politican.

The contiguous forty-eight, try googling that, is not hiring a new village idiot. We will keep your application on file indefinitely and should the position become available, you will promptly be eliminated from contention.

Have a nice day, you fundamentalist bitch.

Sincerely,

The United (Intelligent) States of America

"I have absolutely no intention of engaging in any of the negativity because this has been all positive for me for what I believe in, the values that I represent and the progress that I wanna see America be able to make," Palin said when asked about post-election finger-pointing. "Just absolutely no time for the pettiness. And thatís kinda just the way Iím wired. I donít have time for that."

"This is an historic moment. Barack Obama has been elected president," Palin added. "And God bless Barack Obama and his beautiful family and the new administration coming in

PLEASE, STFU!!!!!

No time to be negative? DOES SHE NOT remember all the character assassinations she made on Obama for the last two months???!!!

DO NOT try to go there, Palin. We see right through your shit.

Attention Whore.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

I'm more confident than ever that McCain only chose Palin to win the reports of 'lost' Hilary voters.

Obama was a black man, McCain was an old white man. Hilary was a woman. Obama or Hilary would have made history - McCain paled in significance in that respect (but he was a POW, remember?), so he did what he could to highlight himself and better his chances and he chose Palin, a woman (a vain and ignorant one at that).
    ssabmud

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

YOu know, I don't think she lost McCain the election. McCain lost McCain the election. He chose her, or went along with the choice of her, didn't have her properly vetted, didn't keep her under control and basically handled the whole thing badlly. She simply did what she's probabyl always done but this time the whole country was watching and thinking 'what the fuck'. It's his fault and he should admit it.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    YOu know, I don't think she lost McCain the election. McCain lost McCain the election. He chose her, or went along with the choice of her, didn't have her properly vetted, didn't keep her under control and basically handled the whole thing badlly. She simply did what she's probabyl always done but this time the whole country was watching and thinking 'what the fuck'. It's his fault and he should admit it.
    Exactly.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post

I think he got played. He thought he would go along with Rove on this because Rove is such a master strategist. You can't con a con though. I think the rethugs knew this was a hopeless fight, they picked two people they probably didn't like very much (Palin has pissed off alot of old school republicans in AK) so they wouldn't have to 'waste' any of the candidates with potential, and they 'got rid of' 'em.

Wonder what it's like to be Cindy McCain right about now.

Every single one of them involved -- McCain, Rove, Palin, all their staffers -- were in the campaign as parasites for their own political interests. They were so busy back-biting on each other, they picked their own bones clean.

I don't pity any one of them. They all contributed to their own fail.

Thread Information