Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voting "irregularities" thread

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Voting "irregularities" thread

Give us any reports you come across of voting irregularities.

High Turnout May Add to Problems at Polling Places

Voters in Colorado, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia have reported using touch-screen machines that at least initially registered their choice for the wrong candidate or party.

“I pushed the Democrat ticket, and it jumped to the Republican ticket for president of the United States,” said Calvin Thomas, 81, an Obama supporter who tried to vote early in Ripley, W.Va. “I’m a registered Republican, and I’ve voted in every presidential election since 1948. I don’t like seeing my vote do something I didn’t tell it to do. I take that real serious.”

Mr. Thomas’s daughter, Micki Clendenin, said the same thing had happened to her.

In both cases, poll workers at the site had them touch the screen a few more times, and the voting machine changed their ballot to their candidate choice. State and local officials said these were isolated cases and that poll workers had fixed the problems.

“It was corrected,” Ms. Clendenin said, “but it still made me wonder.”

=====================

Oprah Voting Booth Meltdown (video)

"When I voted yesterday electronically, the first vote that you vote for on the ballot is the presidential candidate. It was my first time doing electronic, so I didn't mark the X strong enough, or I held down too long. Because then when I went back to check it, it had not recorded my presidential vote," she said.

She then simulated her meltdown, shaking and breathing heavily while stuttering out the words, "It didn't record my presidential vote."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Voting machine problems reported on East Coast, in Midwest

Breakdowns are plaguing polling places in Philadelphia, Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio. Problems are also reported in New York state, Virginia and Florida.
    By Noam N. Levey
    7:02 AM PST, November 4, 2008

Reporting from Washington -- Voting machine malfunctions and other problems were exacerbating long lines at polling places in several key battlegrounds as voting got underway on the East Coast and in the Midwest this morning, election monitors reported.

There have already been breakdowns in Philadelphia, Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, according to reports gathered by the Election Protection Coalition, a cooperative effort by more than dozen voting rights groups.

All three cities were high on the list of expected hot spots where problems were feared.

The coalition, which by 9:30 a.m. EST had received nearly 11,000 reports of problems, has also fielded complaints about polling places not opening on time in Virginia, where long lines have been predicted for weeks.

The most reports came from New York state.

In Richmond and Fairfax, Va., CNN reported that polling places had to switch to paper ballots because of machine malfunctions.

And in Florida, there were reports that ballots were missing from polls in Tallahassee.

It was unclear if the problems reported thus far were isolated or indications of broader breakdowns. But voting rights groups were already sounding the alarm.

"What we are seeing this morning is exactly what we have been predicting for months," said Jonah Goldman, director of the National Campaign for Fair Elections. "Because of this breakdown in resources, people are being turned away and will be standing in line for hours."

Many election watchers had hoped that massive early voting nationwide would take some of the pressure off polling today. By some estimates, as many as 30% of the ballots cast in this year's presidential election were cast before today.

Early voting before election day in West Virginia and North Carolina revealed problems with electronic voting machines that were flipping their votes inexplicably. Election officials said the problems resulted from machines that were improperly calibrated.

But several battleground states expected to be crucial to today's results -- including Virginia and Pennsylvania -- had limited early voting, making it harder for local election officials to correct problems before today.

Potentially further complicating the day's voting will be confusion over new registration lists that some states are using for the first time.

Voting rights groups are expecting even more problems as polling begins in the Rocky Mountain states and on the West Coast.

In Denver, which experienced long lines in the 2006 midterm elections, voters will cast their ballots on paper ballots for the first time in decades, setting the stage for more confusion there.

"We need comprehensive voting reform so that these mistakes do not continue and so that every eligible voter can register and cast a ballot that will be counted," Goldman said.

It's all a conspiracy.
    Seriously, DOUBLE CHECK your vote. Then this type of issue won't be a problem.

Hit By Ban Bus!

From CNN. Biggest problems in (cue drumroll)... Florida and Ohio.

Voting machine breakdowns lead to long lines

(CNN) -- Voting machines were breaking down or simply not deployed in adequate numbers in some polling places Tuesday morning, slowing balloting as Election Day dawned.

Residents wait in line to vote Tuesday morning in Annandale, Virginia.

Long lines were seen in rainy Richmond, Virginia, where Henrico County switched to paper ballots at the Math and Science Center after five of seven machines broke down.

Callers to the CNN Voter Hotline originally said there were no paper ballots. But Virginia's State Board of Elections said the center has started using the ballots and the board is in the process of deploying more equipment.

Fairfax County, Virginia, General Registrar Rokey Suleman said a handful of memory cards did not work when machines were started Tuesday morning. He said replacement memory cards already have been sent to those precincts with problems. First votes cast in New Hampshire

A "very, very small number of machines" were affected, and voters at those locations could use paper ballots instead until the problem was corrected, Suleman said.

The 228 precincts in the suburban Washington county use both optical scan and electronic voting machines.

Suleman said there are long lines everywhere, but the elections board was prepared. People started lining up to vote at 4:30 a.m. ET for the polls to open at 6 a.m. iReport.com: Share your voting experience

In New York, some polling places did not open as scheduled at 6 a.m. because they didn't have enough machines and poll workers were not ready, people on the scene reported.

In Willingboro, New Jersey, broken voting machines were reported at the Penny Packer school, said Joe Dugan, chairman of the Burlington County Election Board.

Dugan said a mechanic was working on the machines and they are expected to be repaired soon. In the meantime, voters were being given emergency ballots.

Machine breakdowns also were reported in northern New Jersey, including Newark and Maplewood.

Of the more than 11,000 problems reported to CNN's hotline by Monday, the largest number -- more than 1,500 -- came from Florida, where a hotly disputed recount settled the 2000 election. Another 450-plus originated in Ohio, where massive Election Day turnout in 2004 delayed the count.

The biggest complaints were early voting lines stretching for several hours, names that did not appear on voter rolls and absentee ballots that never reached the people who requested them. Similar patterns showed up among callers nationwide.

CNN will be tracking voter problems through Election Day. If you have or see a problem, or want to tell CNN about your voting experience, call the CNN Voter Hotline at 877-462-6608.

See what issues are a concern in each state by clicking on the interactive hotline map at cnn.com/hotline.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/04/voting.problems/index.html

If you're too stupid to ensure that you're voting correctly for the candidate of your choice, I don't feel sorry for you when something like this happens and your vote "isn't recorded."

We have ballots by mail here, but I've often wondered what people do when they have to stand in line for hours to vote. Does work just let you off for however long it takes to vote? What do people do with their kids for hours on end if they can't get a babysitter?

It just seems like this could be handled so much more efficiently. Oh wait, I'm talking about government. Nevermind.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    If you're too stupid to ensure that you're voting correctly for the candidate of your choice, I don't feel sorry for you when something like this happens.
    So what are the stupid people supposed to do about broken down machines or lack of machines and polling places that open late, all of which is causing huge lines? As nwgirl says, are work places just going to let people lay off work becuase of these problems? NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    If you're too stupid to ensure that you're voting correctly for the candidate of your choice, I don't feel sorry for you when something like this happens and your vote "isn't recorded."
    Wow - I should be shocked that someone would make such a rude statement but then again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    So what are the stupid people supposed to do about broken down machines or lack of machines and polling places that open late, all of which is causing huge lines? As nwgirl says, are work places just going to let people lay off work becuase of these problems? NOT.
    Ask for help.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Ask for help.
    There are thousands upon thousands of people waiting on long lines today. Most haven't gotten far enough up the line to ask anyone for help. They can't GET far enough up the line if people at the front are having trouble voting on broken down or machines. Obviously, no one is helping the people at the front of the lines because the lines aren't moving!

^ That issue has nothing to do with what Southernbelle said (what you originally quoted).

Her statement was just about stupid people not being able to correctly vote. To which, I replied, stupid people should ask for help if they are too stupid to get it right.

As for the long lines, either suffer through it, or don't vote. No one is actually holding a gun to their head. With millions and millions of people voting a delay is expected and should just be dealt with. In other words, don't bitch about something that is so important, just deal with it. It's only one day, every four years. Most people have more time than anything else.

They just interviewed a women in Philly and they asked if she was mad that she had to wait over an hour to vote. She laughed at the reported and said she had waited longer than that to ride the coaster at 6 Flags so waiting to vote for the President is no big deal. I hope everyone can keep it in perspective like that.

^ Exactly!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    ^ That issue has nothing to do with what Southernbelle said (what you originally quoted).

Her statement was just about stupid people not being able to correctly vote. To which, I replied, stupid people should ask for help if they are too stupid to get it right.

As for the long lines, either suffer through it, or don't vote. No one is actually holding a gun to their head. With millions and millions of people voting a delay is expected and should just be dealt with.
    And what southernbelle said has nothing to do with what I am saying. I am not talking exclusively about machines that fail to properly record votes, which is what she was commenting on. There are a plethora of problems today besides that, that cannot be laid at the feet of the so called "stupid" voters.

You did not reply to southernbelles comment, you replied to mine in which I was asking what people are supposed to do about broken or lack of machines. These problems are causing disenfranchisement. It is not something to just "deal" with. People fought and died for the right to vote and should be able to without risking losing their jobs. Funny, the people who can't afford to wait 8, 10, 12 hours to vote are the ones most likely to vote Democratic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    And what southernbelle said has nothing to do with what I am saying. I am not talking exclusively about machines that fail to properly record votes, which is what she was commenting on. There are a plethora of problems today besides that, that cannot be laid at the feet of the so called "stupid" voters.

You did not reply to southernbelles comment, you replied to mine in which I was asking what people are supposed to do about broken or lack of machines. These problems are causing disenfranchisement. It is not something to just "deal" with. People fought and died for the right to vote and should be able to without risking losing their jobs. Funny, the people who can't afford to wait 8, 10, 12 hours to vote are the ones most likely to vote Democratic.
    Then why did you quote Southerbelle? That's why I am confused.
    And you will note, I bolded the part of your statement that I was replying too.
    I am sure most people have sick time, or can take a vacation day, if they are that dead set on voting. No, I don't think it's fair that they have to, but life it's fair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information