Thread: New Rules With Bill Maher - Barack Obama bad for comedians

Talking New Rules With Bill Maher - Barack Obama bad for comedians

[youtube]pS6GbJE-QNo[/youtube]

It's true isn't it.

I saw this last week. He's right, though. There isn't anything obvious about Obama to make fun of like there is with McCain, Palin, Sharpton, Bill Clinton or Dubya. The only thing I can think of is the 'messiah/celebrity' label. (Although I'm sure the racists can find plenty to make fun of)

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I saw this last week. He's right, though. There isn't anything obvious about Obama to make fun of like there is with McCain, Palin, Sharpton, Bill Clinton or Dubya. The only thing I can think of is the 'messiah/celebrity' label. (Although I'm sure the racists can find plenty to make fun of)
    They could always go the 12-year-old route and make fun of his ears! Hey, Michelle does it too.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    They could always go the 12-year-old route and make fun of his ears! Hey, Michelle does it too.
    They could call him 'Dumbo Ears' and say he has cooties.

The hand waving. It was REALLY obvious on Obamavision this week.

TheStar.com | Columnist | Nov. 4, the day the laughter died

If the polls are accurate, today will be a dark day in America.

I am not talking about voter fraud or voter suppression or voter apathy or even voter exposure to dangerous levels of Wolf Blitzer. These are perils the United States anticipates on Election Day.
    No, the darkness is murkier, more sinister. Put it this way: Have you ever heard a really hilarious joke about Barack Obama? Over the past two years, as campaign machinations replaced celebrity non-news as the engine in popular culture, can you name one comedy bit that successfully lampooned the Democratic senator?

Please understand, I have nothing against the man who would be king. But if Obama succeeds in his historic bid for the White House, his victory will be a death blow to political and late-night comedy.
    In short: There is nothing remotely funny about Barack Obama.
    In many ways, American comedians never knew how good they had it. Eight years of Bill Clinton foibles gave way to eight years of George W. Bush blunders. The humour transition was smooth. The jokes wrote themselves.

As comedian Bill Maher recently quipped: "Ah, George Bush. I mean, sure he ruined banking, housing and the auto industry. But the state of the comedy business was strong."
    By contrast, the comedy business would face unprecedented hardships under an Obama administration. Who will Jon Stewart ridicule on a nightly basis? What future presidential malapropisms and tics will David Letterman mine for his cheeky videos? Who will Tina Fey impersonate when Sarah Palin returns to Alaska? How will Stephen Colbert's faux conservative, fire-and-brimstone, eponymous alter ego resonate satirically if the Republicans are no longer the alpha dogs in Washington?

My friends, I read Obama's The Audacity of Hope. My friends, I did not chuckle once.
    With his sanguine eloquence, slick stage presence, post-racial cool and preternatural composure, Obama may be the most unmockable president in American history. With the exception of his flowery rhetoric, inept bowling and maybe his ears, there's really not much to giggle about.

Consider the late-night monologues that followed his infomercial last week:

David Letterman: "And how about last night on all the major television networks, Barack Obama has a half-hour infomercial TV special. I mean, thank God. It's about time this guy got some media coverage, don't you think?"

Jay Leno: "Now, if you didn't see it, one part was a little odd. At the end, Barack said, 'If you vote now, we'll throw in a set of steak knives and a can of OxiClean.' "
    Four years of this? No wonder late-night jokes have targeted John McCain and Sarah Palin by a 7-1 margin over Obama and Joe Biden, as a study by the Center for Media and Public Affairs concluded.
    Now, obviously, a Republican victory is still mathematically possible. It's just mathematically improbable.

So comedians will soon lose the tropes and cast of characters that tumbled into their laps like manna from the comedy heavens: John the Maverick, Sarah the Hockey Mom, Joe the Plumber, Lieberman the Turncoat, Rudy the Whack Job, Dubya the Pariah.

Sure, Biden may provide some material during the Obama years. But a gaffe-prone VP is no substitute for a pathologically unfunny president. (See: George H.W. Bush and Dan Quayle.)
    "Barack Obama has to give comedians something to work with," joked Maher last month. "Seriously, here's a guy who's not fat, not cheating on his wife, not stupid, not angry and not a phony. Who needs an asshole like that around for the next four years?"

President Barack Obama? Now that's change no comedian should believe in.

vmenon@thestar.ca

suck it up Bitches!
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Thread Information