Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama's half-aunt from Kenya living illegally in US

Default Barack Obama's half-aunt from Kenya living illegally in US

AP: Obama aunt from Kenya living illegally in US - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – Barack Obama's aunt, a Kenyan woman who has been quietly living in public housing in Boston, is in the United States illegally after an immigration judge rejected her request for asylum four years ago, The Associated Press has learned.

Zeituni Onyango (zay-TUHN on-YANG-oh), referred to as "Aunti Zeituni" in Obama's memoir, was instructed to leave the United States by a U.S. immigration judge who denied her asylum request, a person familiar with the matter told the AP late Friday. This person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one was authorized to discuss Onyango's case.

Information about the deportation case was disclosed and confirmed by two separate sources, one of them a federal law enforcement official. The information they made available is known to officials in the federal government, but the AP could not establish whether anyone at a political level in the Bush administration or in the McCain campaign had been involved in its release.

Onyango's refusal to leave the country would represent an administrative, noncriminal violation of immigration law, meaning such cases are handled outside the criminal court system. Estimates vary, but many experts believe there are more than 10 million such immigrants in the U.S.

The AP could not immediately reach Onyango, 56, for comment. When a reporter went to her home Friday night, no one answered the door. A neighbor said she was often not home on the weekend. Onyango did not immediately return telephone and written messages left at her home. It was unclear why her request for asylum was rejected in 2004.

The Obama campaign declined comment late Friday night.

Onyango is not a relative whom Obama has discussed in campaign appearances and, unlike Obama's father and grandmother, is not someone who has been part of the public discussion about his personal life.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, Kelly Nantel, said the government does not comment on an individual's citizenship status or immigration case.

Onyango's case — coming to light just days before the presidential election — led to an unusual nationwide directive within Immigrations and Customs Enforcement requiring that any deportations before Tuesday's election be approved at least at the level of the agency's regional directors, the U.S. law enforcement official told the AP.

The unusual directive suggests that the administration is sensitive to the political implications of Onyango's case coming to light so close to the election.

The East African nation has been fractured in violence in recent years, including a period of two months of bloodshed after December 2007 that killed 1,500 people.

The disclosure about Onyango came just one day after Obama's presidential campaign confirmed to the Times of London that Onyango, who has lived quietly in public housing in South Boston for five years, was Obama's father's half sister.

It was not immediately clear how Onyango might have qualified for public housing with a standing deportation order.

___

Spagat reported from New York. Associated Press writer Rodrique Ngowi in Boston contributed to this report.

oh noes
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

So the point of this is exactly what....?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

LEAVE AUNTIE ALONE! JUST LEAVE HER ALONE!!!

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

She needs to be deported.

I have a feeling the McCain campaign will run with this. Especially since she got public housing.

I'm not sure it will affect the election-unless Obama got her the housing-which I doubt.

It's just a PR nightmare Fox Noise and the McCain camp can spin.

eh. run where? he's got 3 days. he's already lost.

True.

And I think at this point McCain is praying for the Bradley Effect.

Onyango's refusal to leave the country would represent an administrative, noncriminal violation of immigration law, meaning such cases are handled outside the criminal court system.
    Sounds to me as if this is a case of the INS not doing its job. How exactly would this be anyone else's responsibility? Even they admitted it isn't a criminal violation, which leads me to believe there is more to the story and this is an edited version being spun to be anti-Obama.

This person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one was authorized to discuss Onyango's case.
    Really? This is confidential information being leaked by someone with the clearance to have access to it. The INS, and government, should focus on the loose lips inside its confines. If information is confidential, that does not mean someone has the right to determine it isn't if it helps someone else's personal agenda.

What other agencies will leak confidential information in the coming days?

They know where she lives and she is still here? WTF! If they have her address and can confirm she is there, how hard is it to go get her and throw her out? Maybe they can't throw her out. Leaving some of the pertinent information out, mole?

Obama isn't INS. If they can't keep track of her, and the other admitted millions, who fall through the cracks, it isn't up to the everyone else to do their jobs for them.

McCain is getting desperate.

Somehow this will be Obama's fault...like everything else.

Obama says he didn't know aunt's illegal status - Yahoo! News

CHICAGO – Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Saturday he didn't know that one of his relatives was living in the United States illegally and believes the appropriate laws should be followed.

The Associated Press found that Obama's aunt had been instructed to leave the country four years ago by an immigration judge who rejected her request for asylum from her native Kenya. The woman, Zeituni Onyango (zay-TUHN on-YANG-oh), is living in public housing in Boston and is the half-sister of Obama's late father.

A statement given to the AP by Obama's campaign said, "Senator Obama has no knowledge of her status but obviously believes that any and all appropriate laws be followed."

Onyango is part of Obama's large paternal family, with many related to him by blood whom he barely knows. Obama first met Onyango when he traveled to Africa as an adult — he referred to her as "Auntie Zeituni" in his memoir.

The campaign said he has seen her a few times since that meeting, beginning with a return trip to Kenya with his wife, Michelle, four years after the first trip. Onyango visited the family in Chicago on a tourist visa at Obama's invitation about nine years ago, the campaign said, stopping to visit friends on the East coast before returning to Kenya.

She attended Obama's swearing-in to the U.S. Senate in 2004, but campaign officials said Obama provided no assistance in getting her a tourist visa and doesn't know the details of her stay. The campaign said he last heard from her about two years ago when she called saying she was in Boston, but he did not see her there.

Onyango's refusal to leave the country would represent an administrative, noncriminal violation of immigration law, meaning such cases are handled outside the criminal court system. Estimates vary, but many experts believe there are more than 10 million such immigrants in the U.S.

According to Federal Election Commission documents filed by the Obama campaign, Onyango has contributed $260 to Obama over a period of time. Under federal election law, only U.S. citizens or green-card holders are legally permitted to give money to campaigns. Onyango, who listed her employer as the Boston Housing Authority, gave in small increments to the Obama campaign. Her latest contribution was $5 on Sept. 19.

Well, I guess we now know how Obama stands on illegal immigration.
    The nice thing about being a celebrity is that when you bore people, they think it's their fault. ~Henry Kissinger~

the real question- having nothing to do with obama- is how does an illegal get an apartment in public housing?

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    the real question- having nothing to do with obama- is how does an illegal get an apartment in public housing?
    I'm clueless, but I know it happens quite frequently in San Antonio.
    I'm sure some public servant somewhere is going to have an uncomfortable talks with his/her higher-ups.

The nice thing about being a celebrity is that when you bore people, they think it's their fault. ~Henry Kissinger~

Half aunt?! LMAO.

Obama's cousin's cousin's brother's sister's baby moms is living illegally in the US, CALL THE PO'PO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by usernamedenied View Post
    Well, I guess we now know how Obama stands on illegal immigration.
    Irrelevant.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information