Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Dole ad fabricates audio of opponent shouting 'there is no God'

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Elizabeth Dole ad fabricates audio of opponent shouting 'there is no God'

Falling behind in her reelection race, Sen. Elizabeth Dole has uncorked one hell of a charge: The Democrat running against me is godless.

Dole's 30-second ad, which is running on television in North Carolina but has not (understandably) been promoted by the GOP, uses a September fundraiser co-hosted by 40 people, including a representative of the Godless America PAC, to falsely accuse Democrat Kay Hagan of being an atheist herself.

The end of the ad features a picture of Hagan with a female voice yelling "there is no God!" -- the clear implication is that the voice is Hagan's. In fact, the Democratic candidate is a Sunday School teacher and an elder at her Presbyterian church.

The Charlotte Observer reported Wednesday morning that Hagan's campaign is seeking a "cease and desist" order against Dole's new attack.

"A leader of the Godless Americans PAC recently held a secret fundraiser in Kay Hagan's honor," the ad begins, showing some ominously blurred footage, ostensibly of the event in question. The ad then quotes the group's Ellen Johnson making atheist claims on two cable news shows. Summing up, the spot asks: "Godless Americans and Kay Hagan. She hid from cameras, took Godless money. What did Hagan promise in return?"

Two weeks ago, when the National Republican Senatorial Committee launched a similar attack, the Fayettville Observer described it as "the nastiest, most misleading, negative ad of the campaign."

If the spot reeks of desperation, it's not hard to understand why. According to the Pollster.com average of all surveys taken for the race, Dole fell behind Hagan in the polls in mid-September, with her position worsening ever since.

UPDATE: The Hagan campaign has issued two response ads, as well as a prepared statement to be delivered by Hagan herself.

State Senator and U.S. Senate Candidate Kay Hagan

Remarks as prepared

October 29, 2008 press conference

* Thank you for coming today. I know this was called at short notice, and I appreciate you being here for this.
    * Let's get right to it. Elizabeth Dole should absolutely be ashamed of herself.
    * I don't know what things were like when she grew up in North Carolina, but the North Carolina I was raised in would NEVER condone this kind of personal slander.
    * I can't begin to tell you how upset I am that she has attacked my Christian faith.
    * She's been in Washington for too long, gotten too close to George Bush and the special interests and this is what she's become.
    * I am appalled at these tactics. This is politics of the worst kind, and it's been rejected by North Carolinians at every level. This is so unbecoming of the woman she claims to be.

* I have taught Sunday school. I'm an elder in this church, where the Hagan family has attended for over 100 years. I go on mission trips. I was raised going to Sunday school and church every week. And I raised my children that way.
    * On Christmas Eve, we attend the 11:00 evening service, then early on Christmas mornings, my children and husband and I go to the Bell House and cook breakfast for the residents there. My family, my community and my church are the anchors of my life.
    * If Senator Dole wants to pass judgment on my faith, that's her right - but it's not what my faith teaches.
    * This is a fabricated, pathetic ad.

* I am outraged...That is not my voice at the end of the ad, and I do not share their beliefs.
    * This was an event with nearly 40 hosts, including an ambassador and a sitting U.S. Senator (John Kerry).
    * We have already contacted our lawyers and are proceeding with a cease and desist order sent to Elizabeth Dole.
    * This kind of politics should not be tolerated.
    * The politics of George Bush won't create one new job, lower the cost of health care, or do one lick of good for North Carolina.
    * At their core, Americans aren't Democrat or Republican, red or blue - they're Americans, plain and simple. We ALL love our country, and we all value the role of faith in American life.
    * Shame on anyone who says differently.
    * Congress just had to bailout Wall Street, workers' retirement savings are out the window, people are genuinely concerned about keeping their job in this tough economic climate, and Elizabeth Dole is trying to talk about ANYTHING but the issues.
    * This attack speaks volumes about her personally and politically, but more importantly, it speaks to the lack of leadership she's shown on behalf of North Carolinians. At this critical point in American history, why isn't Elizabeth Dole talking about what she's done for North Carolinians and what she's planning to do if re-elected?
    * This is exactly why people in North Carolina are supporting me - I have real, concrete proposals to help fix what's broken in Washington and advocate on behalf of working families. I've been talking about the issues and ensuring North Carolinians know what real leadership looks like.
    * Elizabeth Dole is just relying on the same old, tired rhetoric that divides people instead of bringing them together, and that's the last thing people in North Carolina want right now.Dole Ad Fabricates Audio Of Opponent Yelling "There Is No God"

I know I shouldn't be shocked but what the fuck? How are are people willing to go in order to win? And this is the party that talks about family and values and family values? Nice example for the kiddies you dumb cow.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Just another Senate seat for the Dems now. Clearly Dole doesn't have anything to run on.

This should not be taken lightly. There needs to be an investigation and criminal charges on this one.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Libby Dole is pathetic and this charge is not just insulting, but dangerous. It speaks volumns about her personal character and shows us "real Americans" just how desperate and out of touch she is.

The good news is that Howard Deans leadership of the DNC has resulted in a 50 state run for democrats, whereas four years ago we would have just let North Carolina fall to the wayside. Things have changed now and NC is a state that will have a party change...go Blue NC...go Blue!
    Last edited by Str8_uncut-jock; October 29th, 2008 at 07:08 PM.

wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    The good news is that Howard Deans leadership of the DNC has resulted in a 50 state run for democrats, whereas four years ago we would have just let North Carolina fall to the wayside. Things have changed now and NC is a state that will have a party change...go Blue NC...go Blue!
    The DNC has gotten a lot smarter with Dean as the head. Strangely, I'm glad he lost back in '04 because it paved the way for a better Democratic party today.

I find it sad that this woman felt it necessary to list her Christian 'credentials'. I don't give a crap if someone believes in god or not. I care about what they're going to do to improve the country and help it recover from the last eight years of mis-management.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

.. raptured yet?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I find it sad that this woman felt it necessary to list her Christian 'credentials'. I don't give a crap if someone believes in god or not. I care about what they're going to do to improve the country and help it recover from the last eight years of mis-management.

Yeah, I think it seems a little bit much and there was probably a better way to respond to all of this than that. They could have had someone cut the video with Dole giving a speech and overdub the woman yelling it and saying 'there is no God' to make it look like Dole was saying that. Then they could have said "did Dole say this? No, and Kay Hagan didn't either", gone into a spiel about misleading political ads, talked about how as a creeshtun Hagan doesn't believe in this kind of dishonesty and that she does blah, blah at her church. That is the ad I would have run in response anyway.

But it seems that to be a politician in America today you need to fly your fundie credentials in everyone's face, despite there being that funny little thing about separation of church and state.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    That was what she was challenged on and I don't blame her for making it clear how different she is from what Dole potrayed.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Every time you think the Rethugs can't sink any lower, they do.
    Beyond disgusting.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

^^Seriously! Nixon is starting to look like one of the good guys by comparison.

--Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

The sad thing is that Dole is leading in the polls here When she was first elected, I was excited. Being in charge of the Red Cross, I thought she was one of the good guys.

She's just another stupid banana.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information