Thread: Double standard for Sarah Palin only proves how much she's succeeded

Talking Double standard for Sarah Palin only proves how much she's succeeded

Something positive, its only fair

Double standard for Sarah Palin only proves how much she's succeeded

BY S.E. CUPP
    SPECIAL TO THE NEWS
    Wednesday, October 29th 2008, 10:35 AM

Xanthos/News
    Republican vice presidential candidate Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin is an unequivocal role model. That's right, unequivocal.
    Democrats and Republicans should admire this woman for her dedication to her family, her country and her faith.

Parents from Wasilla to Washington should tell their daughters they can be just like her.

There has been exhaustive, undeniably sexist criticism of this wife, mother, former mayor and Alaska's first female governor.
    COUNTERPOINT: PALIN'S INEPTITUDE SHOWS THROUGH DESPITE WINDOW DRESSING

Detractors have called her a hick, made fun of her accent, ogled her legs, scoffed at her considerable experience and symbolically revoked her women's advocacy card. She has been condescendingly criticized as parochial, unpolished and unprepared.

Liberal women who have fought for gender equality refuse to claim Palin as a victory. Intellectual conservatives who once thought her a brilliant strategic pick are disowning her.

It's startling that pundits and comedians have made an eight-year career of smearing her diametric opposite - not Barack Obama, but George Bush - as what is wrong with America.

He's the lazy and entitled result of nepotism, someone who squandered opportunities and used his last name to pass countless velvet ropes and get out of hairy situations. Educated at the finest Eastern academies, he has been called a liar, a cheat and a manipulator.

Sarah Palin's life and career run in stark contrast. She was born to modest means and raised in our last frontier. She has overcome incredible odds and faced tough adversity to achieve what she has, and in such little time.
    Whether it was challenging a GOP incumbent, staring down the big oil boys, balancing budgets, cutting spending or raising five children, Palin's life has been marked by struggle, challenges - and success.

Isn't this what we teach our children? To break down doors, go as far as they can and always stand up for their convictions?

Or do we teach them that only some women deserve respect? That only half the country counts? That only certain people can have access to opportunity? That hard work and honor are not good enough?
    Sarah Palin shouldn't have to apologize for her University of Idaho degree, competing in a beauty pageant or thinking she can be vice president. That we've asked her to says more about us than it does about her.

Sarah Palin shouldn't have to apologize for her University of Idaho degree, competing in a beauty pageant or thinking she can be vice president

The interesting thing here is that she STILL has not answered correctly what Vice President DOES.

I am so sick of this b*.
    Last edited by cmmdee; October 29th, 2008 at 11:56 AM.

Here we go again with the victim-in-a-pit-bull-suit shit again.

I don't care where her degree's from. I don't care if she is a hick. I can forgive the beauty-pageant thing. Legs, schmegs. I think she looks okay, but that is immaterial.

Sarah Palin is a danger. She is dangerously unprepared to be second in command.

And where specific issues important to "liberal feminists" are concerned, Sarah Palin stands poised to undo all of the work that U.S. women have been doing for generations, beginning with winning the right to vote. Women's equality--not something I think has yet been achieved--is predicated on reproductive rights. Plain and freaking simple.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Sarah Palin shouldn't have to apologize for her University of Idaho degree, competing in a beauty pageant or thinking she can be vice president. That we've asked her to says more about us than it does about her.
    Palin should have to apologize for 'not blinking' when McCain asked her to be VP, knowing she wasn't ready for the responsibility. So, that says more about her than it does anyone else.

^For the record, I despise the woman...but, with that in mind, if Obama asked me to be is VP, even though I know I am not qualified, I would jump at the chance.

She is simply a product of our reality tv world...unbridled ambition, unbridled righteous indignation, very little personal insight, cynically elevated because of her gender and a total and complete disinterest in learning anything more than her pre-held positions. She represents everything that is wrong with this country - situational ethics, race baiting, hypocrisy and revels in her ignorance and lack of curiosity about any topic. She IS NOT to be admired. AND it has nothing to do with her degree, she sinks herself when she opens her mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    She is simply a product of our reality tv world...unbridled ambition, unbridled righteous indignation, very little personal insight, cynically elevated because of her gender and a total and complete disinterest in learning anything more than her pre-held positions. She represents everything that is wrong with this country - situational ethics, race baiting, hypocrisy and revels in her ignorance and lack of curiosity about any topic. She IS NOT to be admired. AND it has nothing to do with her degree, she sinks herself when she opens her mouth.

I agree. She is not to be admired at all. She's a hypocrite who violates her own ethics before anyone else can, but still doesn't see anything wrong with enforcing them on other people, because it's okay when she does it. My SIL is just like her, and a while back my parents went to visit my brother and niece and my little six year old niece asked my dad to pass her something on the table and after he did she cracked, "see how I use him?" with a smile on her face. That remark could have come from only one place, her mother. That is the kind of woman Sarah Palin is, a user, a manipulator, an opportunist, and those are the exact values my brother is having to continually unteach in his daughter, every other weekend This is NOT behavior for little girls to emulate. The truth is that Palin is probably capable of much more achievement intellectually and educationally but she's side-winded her way to where she is because she has a sociopath's charm, and the talent for manipulation that comes with not being burdened by a conscience.

To say little girls should admire her is such an insult to Hillary Clinton I am shocked...

Lets compare:

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark...eaFamily2.html

Bill and Hillary moved to Little Rock after Clinton was elected Attorney General in 1976. Hillary continued to teach law at the Little Rock branch of the University of Arkansas. She also worked on Jimmy Carter's presidential campaign, on which Bill was the state director. Also in 1976 she founded Arkansas Advocates for Children, and became the first woman lawyer to join the Rose Law Firm.

In 1978 she worked on her husband's first (successful) campaign for governor and continued working as a lawyer and in various other public interest capacities.

From 1982 until 1992 she continued working as a lawyer, a social activist and sharpened her campaign skills -- helping Bill Clinton win four reelection campaigns. She also developed a national reputation as a rising star in the Democratic party. (Clinton's much touted reform of the Arkansas education system was mostly her doing.) Hillary also served on the boards of several corporations (including Wal-Mart and TCBY) and was listed as one of the most influential lawyers in the country by the National Law Journal.

Hillary Clinton took a very prominent role during the first two years of the Clinton administration. She was appointed to head the President's task force on national health care. The plan created by the task force (34 work groups and 500 employees working in secret until September 1993 -- months later than originally scheduled) was intended to overhaul the nation's health care industry, control costs and make sure everyone received some form of health insurance. The "secrecy" aspect of the plan's development angered many in Washington. And not a few thought it was wrong to give so much to power to a First Lady, since she was not elected, appointed, or accountable to the public.

Hillary Clinton remained active in health care reform until its eventual demise in September 1994. Fractured Democratic support, (about 100 members wanted a single-payer, Canadian style health insurance system) unified Republican opposition and an expensive lobbying effort by affected parts of the health care industry made it impossible for the reform plan even to make it out of congressional committees for a full floor debate.

Hillary Clinton is the first First Lady to have her own professional career (independent of her husband). She continues to receive strong support from liberals and from women.

Thread Information