Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Pres. Barack Obama blasts off 19% lead in early voting; 53:34% poll shows

Default Future Pres. Barack Obama blasts off 19% lead in early voting; 53:34% poll shows

US election: Obama leads McCain by 19 points among early voters, Pew says

Dozens of people filled the voting booths at the Wellington Webb building in downtown Denver, as early voting began yesterday. Photograph: Javier Manzano/AP

More than 12m of about 213m eligible American voters across the country have already cast ballots, sometimes waiting in queues around the block to do so, despite the election being six days away.
    Barack Obama is leading 53% to McCain's 34% among those who have already voted, according to a poll released today by the Pew Research Centre.
    Under a procedure known simply as early voting, 32 states allow voters to cast a ballot before election day, either in person at the polling site or by mail. An additional 14 states and Washington DC allow it if voters can argue they will be unavailable next Tuesday.
    The long October queues at polling places anticipate a tremendous surge in voter turnout over previous elections, and statistics from key states indicate an advantage for Barack Obama over rival John McCain among early voters.
    "If we're in an election year where you have to wait two hours to vote early, you can imagine what it will look like on election day proper," said Doug Chapin, an election expert at the Pew Centre on the States.
    Campaigns, voters and election workers have increasingly embraced early voting this year. Voters enjoy the convenience. Election workers like early voting because it allows them to stress test election procedures while time remains to iron out flaws. It also lessens the crunch on election day.
    Research indicates early voters tend to be more partisan and firm in their choices than average, and the campaigns of Barack Obama and John McCain have encouraged supporters to vote early.
    The campaigns and their backers have dispatched volunteers and paid canvassers door to door to push supporters to the polls ahead of election day.
    In Florida, where more than 2m have already cast ballots, Democratic vice-presidential candidate Joe Biden on Monday said an early vote could decide a close race.
    "With an early vote, now is the time to choose," he said at a rally. Also on Monday, Michelle Obama launched a two-day swing through the western US to promote early voting.
    Leading in national polling and in key battleground states, the Obama campaign hopes early voting will reduce the chances of a late surge by John McCain.
    Also, if early voters discover a problem with their registration, there is time to correct it and lessen the risk of disenfranchisement, Obama campaign workers say. That is increasingly vital as states enact polling place identification requirements and voter-roll strictures.
    "The more people we can get out, the fewer we have to deal with on November 4," said Faulkner Fox, an Obama volunteer organiser in Durham, North Carolina. "We can bank those votes."
    In 2004, 22.5% of American voters cast their ballot before election day. That is expected to rise to as much as one third of all voters this year.
    "The question remains if this means a greater share of the 2008 vote will be cast early, if turnout will be up overall, or - as I suspect - a combination of these two factors are in play," writes Michael McDonald, an associate professor of government and politics at George Mason University.
    The long queues at early voting sites across the country seem to be benefiting the Democratic ticket. While the votes will not be counted until election day, the party registration statistics in key states anticipate an advantage for Obama.
    In North Carolina, for instance, registered Democrats have cast 55% of early ballots, compared with 28% for the Republicans and 17% with no party affiliation, according to McDonald's analysis. In Florida, Democrats have cast 45% of early and absentee votes, compared with 40% for the Republicans and 15% other.
    But the apparent early voting advantage for the Democrats may narrow because the Republicans typically start their mobilisation efforts closer to election day, McDonald told the Guardian.
    One early vote the Democrats were happy to tout: George Bush last week cast his Texas absentee ballot for John McCain.

US election: Barack Obama leads John McCain by 19 points among early voters, Pew says

This article was first published on Latest news, sport, business, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk on Tuesday October 28 2008. It was last updated at 17.32 on October 28 2008.

If the votes get counted, Obama will win with a clear majority, or the much-discussed "mandate" the Republicans like to talk about. I doubt when he breaks 50% the Republicans will obey his mandate.

We'll see how the damn 'battle ground' states go, but at this point, its certainly leaning towards Obama. Every poll has said so...

He will win IF we can get a fair vote. the GOP is trying to cheat as usual, the bastards.

If Florida screws us again, I, once again, say we dig a new Florida Canal...similar to the Panama Canal...where we could cut off that bottom-feeding state and create lots of construction jobs to boost our economy.

I think the early voting is great. I went and voted today as did several members of my family and several of my friends. The sane people have got to take back this country. Eight years of Dubya is more than enough. Vote!!!!

Why would anyone wait until election day and deal with lines when you dont have to? Early voting is awesome, as well as absentee ballots
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

We voted after a 20 min. wait-easy! The part that made me smille was my hubby-the last of the Repugs-happily voting for Obama! A big first and he is so proud of himself! Me,too! Never thought I'd see the day. Made up his own mind.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    If Florida screws us again, I, once again, say we dig a new Florida Canal...similar to the Panama Canal...where we could cut off that bottom-feeding state and create lots of construction jobs to boost our economy.
    This gif is probably getting old by now but...

My parents live in N.C., and my father voted early, but my mother plans to wait until Election Day. She told my father 'you can vote early if you want to, but when they pull some bullshit and tell you that it didn't count then you'll know why I waited until Nov. 4th."

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    My parents live in N.C., and my father voted early, but my mother plans to wait until Election Day. She told my father 'you can vote early if you want to, but when they pull some bullshit and tell you that it didn't count then you'll know why I waited until Nov. 4th."
    Hmm-she might be right!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Hmm-she might be right!
    If she turns out to be right, he'll NEVER hear the end of it.

Lalalalalalala, I'm not listening to you jinxes!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

I've voted on Election Day every year since I've turned of age and I've never had to wait.

I don't know if it is my neighborhood or what the deal is, but no long lines here.

I'll be voting for Obama, still don't think he will win though. I hope I am wrong.

I voted for Obama on Oct 1 and waited 10 min. When we voted for Kerry, we didn't have early voting and had a 4 hour wait on election day!

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    This gif is probably getting old by now but...
    I live in Florida and will never tire of seeing this gif.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information