Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOP draws the battle lines: if you're against Palin you are out

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default GOP draws the battle lines: if you're against Palin you are out

With the GOP looking more and more set to fracture as the possibility of electoral defeat looms, the cannibals' knives are out. Consider this quote, via Yglesias:

Jim Nuzzo, a White House aide to the first President Bush, dismissed Mrs Palin's critics as "cocktail party conservatives" who "give aid and comfort to the enemy".

He told The Sunday Telegraph: "There's going to be a bloodbath. A lot of people are going to be excommunicated. David Brooks and David Frum and Peggy Noonan are dead people in the Republican Party. The litmus test will be: where did you stand on Palin?"

Hold it now. They're serious about going all in with the Palin loyalty test? Uhm...apparently so! Nuzzo adds:

He said: "Win or lose, there is a ready made conservative candidate waiting in the wings. Sarah Palin is not the new Iain Duncan Smith, she is the new Ronald Reagan."

Yowee. So, for the sake of Sarah Palin -- who many conservatives correctly assessed as the candidate-born-yesterday -- a whole slew of Republicans-in-good-standing are going to be thrown under the bus? That's a serious civil war, or rather, a war betwixt the Serious and the Un-Serious. Keep in mind that Palin's critics are not marginal figures in the conservative movement. We're talking the aforementioned Brooks and Noonan and Frum, and we're adding Christopher Buckley, George Will, Kathleen Parker, Colin Powell, Charles Krauthammer, Matthew Dowd, and for the sake of argument, we'll throw in Chuck Hagel, Andrew Sullivan, and Christopher Hitchens, even though I hesitate to pin any of them to any sort of doctrinaire conservative group.

This is, indeed, a "bloodbath," and for what? A distinctly semi-pro Alaskan governor who's more or less made the charisma-free Tim Pawlenty look like What Could Have Been?

Additionally, this sort of line-in-the-sand drawing avoids another obvious truth -- come 2012, someone besides Palin is going to vie for the GOP nomination. Someone like, say, Mitt Romney, who famously earned the backing of the National Review, which called him a "full-spectrum conservative." What happens to Romney, now that he's on the wrong side of the Palin line? Because that's where he is:

Former Mitt Romney presidential campaign staffers, some of whom are currently working for Sen. John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin's bid for the White House, have been involved in spreading anti-Palin spin to reporters, seeking to diminish her standing after the election. "Sarah Palin is a lightweight, she won't be the first, not even the third, person people will think of when it comes to 2012," says one former Romney aide, now working for McCain-Palin. "The only serious candidate ready to challenge to lead the Republican Party is Mitt Romney. He's in charge on November 5th."

[...]

Some former Romney aides were behind the recent leaks to media, including CNN, that Governor Sarah Palin was a "diva" and was going off message intentionally. The former and current Romney supporters further are pushing Romney supporters for key Republican jobs, including head of the Republican National Committee.

If I read this right, the GOP is set splinter into a trio of factions: the Palin-philes, the Romney remainders, and those excommunicated from the movement for daring to make a lick of sense at one point. Fitting isn't it, that a McCain loss might precipitate his party coming to resemble the factionalism of the Iraqi misadventure they all cooked up in the first place. Maybe Joe Biden can help them reach some sort of triple-partition solution!
    GOP Draws Internal Battle Lines Around Sarah Palin
    Golly gee, Batman, the GOP is cutting off its trunk to spite its face.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

The litmus test will be: where did you stand on Palin?"

He's right to a point. The intelligent Republicans will want to break free from the morons who think Palin is the smartest thing walking. But what the Palin supporters keep forgetting is that there aren't enough right-wing, fundie conservative nutjobs in America to elect Palin as president in 2012 or when hell freezes over.

intelligent Republicans? I didn't know there was such a thing! I'm serious.

^^I actually interviewed one the other day, and I was impressed. Really decent guy. And he was convinced that Obama would probably win the election, but he was still trying to get voters to jump Party at the state level and vote for him. And from what he told me Republicans across the board are having a hard time raising campaign contributions.

Some former Romney aides were behind the recent leaks to media, including CNN, that Governor Sarah Palin was a "diva" and was going off message intentionally. The former and current Romney supporters further are pushing Romney supporters for key Republican jobs, including head of the Republican National Committee.
    I noticed on Cambell Brown's show tonight on CNN, the Republican strategist she had on, Kevin something-or-other, is a former advisor to Romney. In the segment where they were talking about Palin going 'diva' and 'rogue', he said this is what happens when you bring an 'unseasoned' candidate out in this kind of fashion. He wasn't as supportive of Palin as he had been last week I noticed.

I think it would be interesting in the Republican Party split into two groups: Republican Party and a new "Conservative" Party. With all the right-wing conservative Christian fundies in one group and everyone else in the other. The Christian right needs to realize that without hawkish neocons, working-class "Reagan Democrats," libertarians, and old-fashioned fiscal conservatives they're just some minority faction wielding power disproportionate to their actual numbers. They need a huge wakeup call!

Split, split, split, split!

But seriously, although we need more parties to accurately represent voters in this vast nation, if the Republican Party splits, how will it survive? What would happen to our gubmint? We would go from having a deeply entrenched two-party system to ... chaos, potentially. That would be momentous.

To be honest, I am starting to freak out a little bit. Well, a lot. So far, this has been the most stunning presidential election cycle--probably of my entire lifetime, future included.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Looks like the main stream RNC is busy distancing themselves from Palin and cutting off any more funding to the campaign according to the whispers coming from DC. No more ad monies for the McCain/Palin campaign, focus shifting to house and senate seats. Palin is being painted as a 'rogue' by the non-fundie Republicans. I am halfway expecting to see her run with Haselback as her VP next election because I don't think Palin is smart enough to realize she doesn't have a place on the national stage, she'll head the new fundie wing of the party and go at it hammer and tongs next presidential election, particularly if, God forbid, something tragic happens under Obama's watch. Pitt bull bitch with about the same amount of brains as a pitt bull.

Elite Member

Default Re

I don't think Palin is smart enough to realize she doesn't have a place on the national stage, she'll head the new fundie wing of the party and go at it hammer and tongs next presidential election, particularly if, God forbid, something tragic happens under Obama's watch.
    I think one of Palin's most defining characteristics is that she doesn't know her limitations AT ALL. It's actually part of her personal biography, and not a new thing, from what I've read. So if someone wants to support her as a prez candidate in 2012, she will not say no.

Personally, I'd rather see a healthy GOP and a healthy Dem part to balance each other off. If the fundies split off from the GOP, it will not be good for either. I agree that the fundies will find that they are just a small splinter group and not the "silent majority" that they think they are.

Brilliant. It's on.

Got me popcorn and me orange salty powder. Gonna be better than teevee.

They might want to rethink this,if true...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I've been saying lately that splitting the republican party would make sense. They are so far apart over there. Unless they unite, unlikely, or separate, they won't be able to win a major election. McCain tried to please both and pleased neither.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Elite Member

It seems that the GOP is definitely going to fracture after this election. This is been in the works for at least 15 or so years, when Newt Gingrich came onto the national scene and start going neo-con on us. Really, the seed for this was planted in 1964 with Barry Goldwater being the GOP presidential candidate and continuing with Ronald Reagan's election in 1980. It took a while for things to reaching their boiling point, but they're here.

The neo-cons have strong-armed the GOP away from the moderate/Rockerfeller faction of the party. The moderates are fiscally prudent, but fairly liberal on social issues (abortion, gay rights, etc). They tend to be smart, well-educated, and not so gun-ho about pushing their religious views. They believe in God for the most part, but don't feel compelled to thrust those opinions on others.

Neo-cons are bullies. It's all about pro-choice, pro guns, and being anti-gay. They're stupid when it comes to money and want to push social agendas upon the populace.

I think the moderate GOPers will eventually form their own party and that a faction among the Dems will join them. Moderate Dems and moderate GOPers aren't too far apart in their core beliefs. They could form a strong third political party depending on how all this shapes up.

Excellent post Valley Doll.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    I think the moderate GOPers will eventually form their own party and that a faction among the Dems will join them. Moderate Dems and moderate GOPers aren't too far apart in their core beliefs. They could form a strong third political party depending on how all this shapes up.

I actually think this would be a great idea. I get tired of just the two-party system.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    They might want to rethink this,if true...

Yep because it sounds to me like the people that are throwing mutiny, the Palinazis, are rather latecomers and the folks they are throwing out are the long-term, hard-core, died in the wool republicans. It ain't gonna work out for them, and the people who are throwing themselves under the bus for Palin in the end are going to end up with the short end of the stick. But I do get some enjoyment out of thinking about the anxiety that republicans who haven't picked a side must be feeling about whether they will be asked to make a declaration of where their loyalty lies. Can't be a pleasurable thing to have to worry about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information