Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Politics in the work place, yay or nay?

Default Politics in the work place, yay or nay?

I'm just curious, how do people here treat politics and political discussion in the work place? I'm not sure if many work places actually prohibit such discussions explicitly, but I was always under the impression that it's one of those things that wasn't really discussed.

Where I work we are pretty open to all kinds of discussions really, politics included. Heck some guy had a Ron Paul sticker on his desk for a long time. But I can see not being too blatant about whatever you believe in right?

What the hell, I put up an 'Obama 08' sign right next to my desk, f**k it, if they don't like it they can take it off! If someone wants to put a McCain sign, go right ahead.

Pretty much everyone at work, including some transplanted yanks, are all "McCain is a loser!"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's great now in my office - I work for a group of financial advisors and we are all solid Obama. Talk is open and free when clients aren't within earshot, of course. We keep our discussions and opinions out of client meetings, natch.

If everyone can 'handle' it, then go for it. But theres those few individuals, and we all know them, that just get all fucking insane and cannot talk about anything political!

OT: Saw my dentist about a week ago and he is in LOVE with Sarah Palin. He had pictures of her hung up and everything. He's like 'you're going to vote for her right? RIGHT??' And I said, uh, no. He was actually suprised....that was weird.

I work at a newspaper so we talk about politics constantly. And I sit right across from a McCain/Palin supporter so we have some interesting debates.

^Is that the one who wants to screw her?

^^Yup. A married man with two kids. He also thinks the world is 5,000 years old and that dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark.

Discussing science must be fun too.

At my work, we discussed politics until it became too serious, which was usually when you find two sides that weren't going to budge either way on the issue.

i'm all for discussing politics anywhere. if everyone remains civil, of course.
    re: the US elections, i don't know anyone who is pro-mccain/palin, except a few americans and my über-right wing catholic cousins (we're talking opus dei batshit insane here). even my right-wing european friends are pro-obama.
    at my work, everyone is kind of just amazed/flabbergasted that a woman who thinks dinosaurs and people were running around together 5000 years ago, and who takes the bible literally, is running for vice-president. there isn't really much debate per se since we all agree. and this includes 2 of my co-workers who are practising catholics.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

No can do where I work.

Ugh, I like my colleagues but they're not even interested in the US election, I tried talking about it the other day and was met with 'Why do you care about that, it doesn't affect us'

I was a bit stunned, of course it will, in the long run!! I find it strange that people don't take an interest in stuff like this, people thought I was a bit of a freak for taking an interest.

The same goes for any main news, if it isn't about X-Factor or Strictly Come Dancing people at my place don't seem to care!

eta-mind you, people at work seem to think I'm 'weird' anyway, fuck knows why. I keep that cats in a duffle bag under the desk, out of the way!!

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Where I work at nearly everyone in upper management is a rabid McCain supporter with McCain signs and bumper stickers in their offices. Us, the lowly workers, the proletariat, the canalle, are not allowed to have political paraphernalia in our offices. Which is too bad because the majority of folks working there are voting for Obama. We do talk about the election and candidates in the breakroom, managed to swing over a number of people that started the election saying that they trusted no politicians and were not voting to the Obama side. About 7 management people are voting McCain, a couple of clueless fundies are voting McCain just to vote for Palin and a hundred plus are voting for Obama. We just don't let management know.

Hopefully you will still have a job if Obama wins,. Why do you think upper management is for Mccain?
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Ha ha! Of course I will have a 'job' if Obama wins. BTW I do not have a 'job' I have a 'career'. Jobs are flipping patties down at Burger King. Careers involve higher education, higher performance standards and a more recession-proof clime than what you're used to. I'm going nowhere.

Now those Right Wing managers are a different matter. They purposely screw over customers to the benefit of the company and several of them are on the carpet right now for "non-performance" related issues. They know how to run their mouths but not how to work. Great specimens of their party.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information