Thread: Old man Ted Stevens convicted on all counts!

Thumbs up Old man Ted Stevens convicted on all counts!

WASHINGTON — Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens has been convicted of lying about free home renovations and other gifts he received from a wealthy oil contractor. The Senate's longest-serving Republican, Stevens was found guilty on all seven counts of making false statements on Senate financial documents.

The verdict throws the upcoming election into disarray. Stevens is fighting off a challenge from Democrat Mark Begich and must now either drop out or continue campaigning as a convicted felon.

The trial hinged on the testimony of Stevens' longtime friend, who testified that his employees dramatically remodeled the senator's home.

Stevens faces up to five years in prison on each count but, under federal sentencing guidelines, will likely receive much less prison time, if any.

Stevens Convicted On All Counts

More good news for the Republican party.

I think the Dems will probably gain his Senate seat. It was a tight race before this verdict came out. I think this seals Stevens fate.

Elite Member

Good riddance.

Hey, is this the "the internet is a series of tubes" guy? If so...HA HA.

^Yup. It sure is.

What's up with Alaska these days?

he'll die before he does any substantial time
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    he'll die before he does any substantial time
    Little hijack here msdemagain - that Shamwow guy in your avatar has got to be one of the creepiest fuckers I've ever seen! He ranks right up there with the BK King pape-mache headed character, and that's saying a lot in terms of creepiness for me.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Little hijack here msdemagain - that Shamwow guy in your avatar has got to be one of the creepiest fuckers I've ever seen! He ranks right up there with the BK King pape-mache headed character, and
    that's saying a lot in terms of creepiness for me.
    Another hijack, he was also a $cientologist that sued the 'church.'

Back to your regular scheduled programing.

^ hahahha! Although, on the other hand, the back of that jacket is kinda sad - what a pathetic point of view.

It wouldn't surprise me if he still got re-elected somehow. If he does win next week, it'll be really interesting. At the most, I think he'll only get probation, no time in the slammer.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Marion Shepilov Barry, Jr. (born March 6, 1936), is an American politician who served as the second elected mayor of the District of Columbia from 1979 to 1991, and again as the fourth mayor from 1995 to 1999. He was the target of a high-profile 1990 arrest on drug charges, which precluded him from seeking reelection that year. After he was convicted of the charges, Barry served six months in prison, but was elected to the D.C. city council in 1992 and ultimately returned to the mayoralty in 1994, serving from 1995 to 1999.
    Marion Barry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does the name Marion Barry ring a bell? In politics, like the hip-hop scene, criminal charges against you just give you more street cred.
    Last edited by usernamedenied; October 30th, 2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typos

Some new polling on Uncle Ted:
    Ted Stevens Numbers Slide After Conviction

The Ted Stevens/Mark Begich Senate race in Alaska was a toss-up before the jury came back with the verdict of guilty on all seven felony counts for failure to disclose gifts and services totaling more than $250,000.

And, despite the amped up, frenzied Stevens supporters who crowded into an airplane hangar for Stevensí Welcome Home rally last night, the scale has started to tip decidedly for Democratic challenger Mark Begich. Itís a toss-up no more. It isnít over yet, but Uncle Tedís chances are looking pretty slim.

Rasmussen released the following numbers, taken the day after Stevensí conviction.

Begich (D) - 52%
    Stevens (R) - 44%
    Bird (AIP) - 3%
    Undecided - 2%
    Only 74% of Republicans say they will vote for the nominee of their party while 21% of GOP voters will cast their ballot for Begich, the mayor of Anchorage.

Fifty-two percent (52%) of Alaska voters say Stevens should resign while 39% disagree. Republican leaders including John McCain, his running mate Sarah Palin, the current governor of Alaska, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell have all called upon Stevens to step down.

Stevens is now viewed favorably by 43% of Alaska voters, down from 54% before the trial began. Still, even after the guilty verdict, 52% of voters say Stevens is about as ethical as most politicians. Fifteen percent (15%) say Stevens is more ethical than most of his peers while 31% say he is less ethical. These reactions say as much about perceptions of politicians as they do about Stevens.
    This must explain why 51% of Alaska voters say that Sarah Palin is more ethical than most politicians.
    Palin earns good or excellent reviews as governor from 61% of voters in her home state, virtually unchanged from polling last month. Eighty-five percent (85%) of Republicans and 59% of unaffiliated voters give Palin positive marks.

Overall, just 22% rate her job performance as poor, a figure that includes 44% of Democrats.
    If this makes you want to bang your head on the deskÖ.stop. Remember that Sarah Palinís approval rating was hovering around 90% at one point. So, step back, and think of how it would look on a graph. Time on the X-axis, and favorability ratings on the Y-axis. After the third time I banged my head on the desk, a vision of this graph popped in to my mind, and I stopped. Once the fun of having a local politician on the national stage is over, and she gets back home, the numbers will continue to slide. Stay tuned.

Ted Stevens Numbers Slide After Conviction ę Mudflats

Thread Information