Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 grand of Sarah Palin's wadrobe has been "given back", whatever the eff that means

Wink 50 grand of Sarah Palin's wadrobe has been "given back", whatever the eff that means

John McCain said Sunday that that a third of the $150,000 the Republican National Committee spent on clothes, makeup and accessories for his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, and her family has been “given back.”

“She lives a frugal life. She and her family are not wealthy. She and her family were thrust into this and there was some — and some third of that money is given back. The rest will be donated to charity,” McCain said in an interview on NBC’s "Meet the Press."

“She is a role model to millions and millions and millions of Americans.”

The story, first reported by Politico, swept the political world during the past week. Pundits speculated on the political repercussions of wearing designer duds from Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue while the economy is in crisis, wondering if it undercut Palin's all-American, “hockey mom” image. Some Republican donors were outraged about where their contributions had gone, while campaign finance lawyers wondered about the legality of the purchases.

On Thursday, McCain told local Florida reporters that the clothes would be donated to charity.

"She needed clothes at the time,” he said, explaining the decision.

Palin gave a similar explanation in a Friday interview, telling the Chicago Tribune that "that is not who we are."

"That whole thing is just, bad!" she said. "Oh, if people only knew how frugal we are.”

Palin said most of the clothes haven’t been taken out of the belly of her campaign plane. The clothes are not worth $150,000, said Palin, and would be given back, auctioned off or donated to charity.

"It's kind of painful to be criticized for something when all the facts are not out there and are not reported," she said.

McCain: Palin leads a 'frugal life' - Politico.com Print View
    How the fuck do you GIVE BACK luxury items? I thought they couldn't find the receipts?

and wow, 50 K given back.. how about the other 100,000 of clothes ? Idiots.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

non issue, who really cares except the dems. No one I have talked to gives a flip about it.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Funny, tons of republicans think spending that much on clothes in the grips of a recession highlights exactly what's wrong with the GOP in general. They've said so in print and on TV.

But i guess you missed all that, rather conveniently. It is not a NON ISSUE, it's been a huge broadside into Palin's image and she even knows that.

How do you simply MISS the glaringly obvious all around you so often?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Actually I read somewhere that her net worth, combined with Todd.. whatever the fuck he does, is in the neighborhood of $1.2-1.5M... another slap in the face of American people if they're characterizing her as 'not wealthy' and 'frugal'

OCK

Given back? As in she wears the pricey clothes once and then returns them to the store? Classy. Does she hide the tags while she wears these clothes too?
    ~~~Jesus please save me from your fanclub~~~

I was wondering what she was worth, if she isn't wealthy who is?

"It's kind of painful to be criticized for something when all the facts are not out there and are not reported," she said.
    And what did she give back, the clothes or the money and who did she give it to? You don't just give clothes back to a store. It certainly isn't an issue to McSame or Palin, neither of them really told what has happened. They can't even give a straight answer for a simple question let alone lead the country.

Remember, McCain said that anybody making under 5 million isn't rich.

*deluded*

Some rich, deluded fundie housewife will track these clothes down and wear them religiously... will probably want to be buried in the clothes 'Sarah wore'..

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    Actually I read somewhere that her net worth, combined with Todd.. whatever the fuck he does, is in the neighborhood of $1.2-1.5M... another slap in the face of American people if they're characterizing her as 'not wealthy' and 'frugal'
    i read that too. they based that on her tax returns so it's kinda hard to dispute.

i have nothing against people spending money to look good either. i didn't take issue with john edwards' 400$ haircut, and as much as i dislike that robo-barbie, at least cindy mccain isn't going around pretending to be a working class soccer mom, and goes to events wearing hundreds of thousands of $ in jewelry alone, never mind the couture outfits.
    but because sarah palin goes around telling joe sixpack she's basically a mrs. sixpack that happens to run a state, i think it's lame that she then goes and spends that much at neiman marcus. and takes her kids to events they weren't invited to, and charges it to the state. the bitch is ethically challenged.
    these same people then bitch at obama for flying to see his sick grandmother.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You know, it wouldn't be a big deal if she hadn't pushed the "I know what it's like to be Joe Six-Pack/I identify with the struggles of everyday Americans" bullshit rhetoric so hard. It's completely contradictory and undermines her credibility.

*well I obviously took too long to post, you guys already made the same point

“She lives a frugal life. She and her family are not wealthy. She and her family were thrust into this and there was some — and some third of that money is given back. The rest will be donated to charity,” McCain said in an interview
    That doesn't even make sense, apart from being laughable as tap-dancing.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    non issue, who really cares except the dems. No one I have talked to gives a flip about it.
    Actually, it is an issue. A non-partisan watchdog group filed a complaint about it to the Federal Election Committee.
    Also on Thursday, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics, a private watchdog group in Washington, filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission against Palin, the Republican National Committee and several political operatives alleging that the purchase of clothing for Palin and her family violates Federal Election Campaign Act.

The law prohibits a candidate for federal office from converting campaign funds to personal use. CREW notes that FEC regulations make clear the prohibition applies to clothing but also provide that donations by candidates to charity are not for personal use. CREW argued this exception might apply to Palin's clothes but doesn't appear to apply to clothes for her family.

Palin denies accepting $150K in designer clothes - Yahoo! News

probably the lace jockstraps.

She's been seen saying today that she's back to wearing clothes from the thrift shop in Anchorage.

I didn't mind the mukluks so much, but the polar bear leg warmers were a bit much...

they probably returned her victory wardrobe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information