Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orrin Hatch: The world is just ‘jealous’ ‘because we’re so powerful and strong’

Default Orrin Hatch: The world is just ‘jealous’ ‘because we’re so powerful and strong’

Think Progress » Hatch: The World Is Just ‘Jealous’ ‘Because We’re So Powerful And Strong’

Today on Fox News, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) denied that the America’s standing in the world has fallen under President Bush. He insisted that world opinion of the United States is as strong as ever, though he admitted that other countries “naturally” experience “jealousy” of America:
    HATCH: There’s a lot of jealousy of the United States, especially in Europe, and France in particular and some of the other nations as well. So naturally they’re constantly poking holes at the United States. … Yeah there’s some irritation with the United States but mainly it’s because we’re so powerful and strong militarily and economically and otherwise.
    Watch it:

[YOUTUBE]FdfmMQkx44s[/YOUTUBE]

Other countries aren’t jealous; they’re fed up with the cowboy presidency of George Bush. A 2007 Pew study found that “[d]istrust of the United States has intensified across the world,” with anti-Americanism deepening since 2002, especially “among America’s European allies.” In a 2008 Readers Digest poll of residents of 16 countries, only five reported higher percentages of those calling themselves “pro-American government” than those “anti-American government.”
    Just five days ago, European newspapers and researchers published a study clearly documenting how damaging the Bush presidency has been to the world’s opinion of the United States:

Hatch seems oblivious to how Bush’s policies have dramatically weakened the U.S. military and helped cause the financial collapse of America’s economy.

teh earth is bitter jellus fattiez
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hatch: The World Is Just ‘Jealous’ ‘Because We’re So Powerful And Strong’»
    ...and we're BROKE. That's a lot to be 'jealous' of.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

What an asshole. It's exactly this kind of idiot talk that pisses people off around the world. Hey Orin, guess what? People all over the world actually like their countries just as much as Americans like theirs! Isn't it amazing! Me, I like some and dislike others but realize they all have great things on offer. What a twat waffle.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hey Switzerland, how do you think we feel? We got to live next to em

Yes, the rest of the world is just super jealous of how much we suck.

For the past 8 years, the US has been the noisy neighbour that throws parties and won't STFU when the cops are called. Then you wake up to find them puking and pissing in your yard.

that's when you curbstomp their neck and take their wallet.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

He's still around?

wtf is wrong with the belgians? poland i can understand, they're psycho catholic fascists, but belgium? no wonder their country is falling apart...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm not jealous, I think that America has become a massive joke to the rest of the world...

^^ You're right. We have. And it's really sad when people he cannot see that and want to keep pushing for the SAME FAILED POLICIES over and over again.

How can anyone defend this stupid party????

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    What an asshole. It's exactly this kind of idiot talk that pisses people off around the world. Hey Orin, guess what? People all over the world actually like their countries just as much as Americans like theirs! Isn't it amazing! Me, I like some and dislike others but realize they all have great things on offer. What a twat waffle.
    Orrin Hatch has always been an ass. I still remember him reading from The Exorcist while Anita Hill was testifying during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings.

Haha, so not jealous! Deluded twat. In fact (no offence to the Americans here, I'm not trying to be insulting or anything), I honestly think Australia is a much better place to live than the US... the US has become something of a joke to the rest of the developed world.

Our leaders and many of our citizens continue to be delusional. Americans are inculcated with the idea of our country's superiority almost from the womb.

Things certainly have changed thanks to poor leadership and greedy capitalist interests. We used to be a great country. But we've been coasting on our reputation while enjoying a "to the victor belongs the spoils" for far too long. The jig is clearly up.

I'm appalled by what's happened to this country. However, there are plenty of people in my general circle who are shocked and offended when I am critical of our country and what's transpired. People just cannot think for themselves. Sad.

It's time for a sea change in Washington leadership at all levels. November 4 is going to be an interesting day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information