Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What mulattos think of Barack Obama

Default What mulattos think of Barack Obama

My curiosity got the best of me, so I was browsing around for various comments. Many of them bothered me.

Sen. Obama - Mulatto.org Message Board

to be honest, this is THE reason why i won't vote for him if i end up choosing not to. i'm completely serious. i could not stand hearing him referred to as the first black president for the rest of my life. COULD NOT STAND IT.

I agree with you 100%

I am a bit disappointed in it. I think Mr. Obama could do such much in favor of mixed raced people and even more those who are mixed raced with black. Though sometimes Im astonished that some would not know he is a mulatto or mixed raced. He has referred to his white mother before, and its been mentioned in articles, how he is the relative of white slaveowners. It even came out that he is distantly related to Dick Cheney and the Bush family. Though it would be nice if for once we could read First Mulatto President.

I suppose all in due time, I know there will come a time when someone who is mixed with black will run and will be mixed identify. When someone/media refers to them as black they will correct the person, Im not black, although it is a part of my racial make up.

I also agree; I've corrected my family a number of times when they refer to Obama has "the potential black president", I always say, you know he's mulatto right? It just makes me laugh how quickly some people will forget about his white side or that they choose to forget about the white side. In my opinion Obama doesn't keep correcting people when they say "the first black..." is that if he were to say, oh, i'm not black but it's a part of me, that it would anger some black people and it might cost him a vote. I know that sounds bad but I truly believe that is why he never corrects people when his ethnicity comes into question.

I think it would be just as ground-breaking and historical if we had the first mulatto president, but it looks like we are going the same route as Halle Berry and the first African American woman to win an academy award. While I think it would be just as interesting and influential if he labeled himself first mulatto president, I don't think that will happen; it's a weird feeling thinking that I might have to settle for the first black president rather than the first mulatto president. And I know that it's still a great achievement but I feel sort of letdown that he won't allow his whole self to run for president, if that makes any sense.

To be honest with you ALL, I wish Obama would also declare that he is not Black because some are voting for him on that basis alone IMO. I'm not supporting Obama because I feel someone else is better qualified, but some Blacks do not want to hear me when I tell them he is not Black. It would have a huge impact if Obama made a statement on this issue. However, I do believe he will "if" he is elected.

Interesting. I think it's a really complex issue, but then, I am not mulatto.

I am from the South and grew up in a half-black, half-white town, and I have resisted all these months calling Obama "black," because his cultural heritage is unique. I do call him black now, because it seems as if this is the identity he chose for himself in a world that expects him to choose.

Here's an article from CNN on this topic:

Behind the Scenes: Is Barack Obama black or biracial? - CNN.com
    By Jason Carroll

The 2000 U.S. Census was the first time Americans were allowed to identify themselves as "multiracial," and more than six million people checked more than one box in the race and ethnicity category. Included in the multiracial category is the Democratic presumptive nominee, Sen. Barack Obama. With a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya, Obama is the nation's first biracial candidate for president. The media, however, have continually called Obama the nation's first major party "black candidate," saying he could make history as the first "black president." But is that accurate?

A columnist examining Obama's background summed up his racial identity into one equation: white + black = black.

For me, that said it all.

There are some who point out Obama is just as white as he is black. He may be the nation's first black president, but he would also be the nation's 44th white president. Is Obama black or biracial?

"He can't say, 'I'm a white guy named Barack Hussein Obama,' nobody's going to buy that," says cultural critic Michaela Angela Davis. "We're not ready for that."

This is an issue that has sparked debate not only in our newsroom, but also among my friends and family. Most Americans see Obama as a black man, and he identifies himself as a black man. But there are some who will argue that by labeling Obama as a "black candidate," we are all ignoring a vital and legitimate side of his life. Does Obama's race really matter?
    I spoke with a group of young professionals who are part of a biracial support group called Swirl. Swirl was started by a woman named Jen Chau whose father is Chinese and mother is white. Chau says this debate over Obama's racial identity is very familiar and she's been dealing with this issue her whole life.

Chau identifies herself as a mixed-race person as do the other members of Swirl we spoke with. Lynda Turet says she could never identify herself as a white person in America because she is also half-Filipina. Both women support Obama's choice to identify himself as a black candidate, but they also understand why he emphasizes his white roots.

David Mendell, author of "Obama: From Promise to Power" says there's an idea of a "post-racial" candidate, a candidate who transcends the labels of race to appeal to all races. He says though most Americans view Obama as black, he has been able to use his own experiences to appeal to both black and white audiences and that has translated into political success.
    This is a debate that will continue as we watch the presidential race. It seems with an issue like this there's no right or wrong answer. As Michaela Angela Davis says, it's a step in the right direction that we are even having this discussion as all.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

one of my closest friends is a major obama supporter, she even spent her whole summer uni break volunteering on his campaign. she's also mulatto and she's never had the slightest issue with this. the people who wrote these comments sound really touchy and like they have a huge chip on their shoulders.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I despise the word mulatto, and I'm not one to get all bent about things like that.
    Last edited by greysfang; October 22nd, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^^^ Yes, it's not a word I would favor and used it in this context only because of mixed-race people using it to refer to themselves. (Any racial term that comes from "mule" just doesn't sound all that respectful of a human.)

sputnik
    They all sound like they have the "tragic mulatto" syndrome to me. Not to sound hateful, but they should really get the fuck over it. lol.

Their comments made me want to strangle them. To suggest that he should instead say "I'm not black, its just apart of my genetic make up"? What the fucking hell is that?! No honestly, does anyone here think that make any sense? If it is part of his genetic make up, than that DOES mean he IS black. What shit on their on?

Hello thar, I'm the H2O molecule. I'm not water, its just part of my genetic make up.

First of all, mulatto is a derogatory term. As a mixed woman, I can assure you, if you call someone here, who is mixed, that name, you will hear a barrage of epithets related to your heritage.

The comments in that post are from ignorant. Under laws, regardless of how archaic, Obama is black. He is more than 1/32 black, which means he is legally black.

I was mostly shocked that one poster said she was voting for someone more qualified. Who the hell could that be?

I saddened and joyful at the role race is playing in this election. I am saddened when I see how much racism still exists. I am joyful when I see the polls that most people are saying race will not play a role in their decision. We are making progress. I pray it just keeps getting better with each passing year. The election of Obama will go a long way in breaking some insane barriers.

Elite Member

I think he should have taken a page from Tiger's book and said I'm mixed. Certainly from a purely visual standpoint, Tiger is as 'black' if not more so than Barack. It would have quelled some of the 'black president' issue with the midwesterners/southerners...'Look he's as much white as he is black, Joe, are you done plumbing yet?"

What is this,1800? Please!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Mullato? What year is it again?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Stupidity runs in all races. I'm a mutt, (Cherokee, Scottish, Irish, French, Indonesian, Dutch, German, Jewish, Indian and a few more) and all a person of color has to remember is: although mixed, Obama will be the FIRST person of color to become president of the UNITED States. No time to think in specific boxes or categories. He wants to represent a UNITED states and that's exactly what any president of any color should do: stand ABOVE the differences and unite.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Obama will be the FIRST person of color to become president of the UNITED States. No time to think in specific boxes or categories.

Well put.

WOW..Mulatto? Seriously, I have to agree that those folks have a few issues.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

i should mention i only used the word mulatto because it was used in the article.
    i have heard the word used a lot in spanish and it's not considered derogatory at all.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information