Thread: Does Barack Obama have a trump card?

Default Does Barack Obama have a trump card?

Sarah Palin may be his best chance to dampen a late-breaking GOP surge

WASHINGTON - John McCain 's campaign now says it might play the explosive Jeremiah Wright card after all. It makes some sense, strategically. Polls seem to be tightening, and the election is going to be decided by a white, male plumber named Joe.

The question now is this: Will Barack Obama play the Sarah Palin card? It's no longer the risk Democrats once believed. And it might be his best chance to dampen a late-breaking GOP surge.

But first, let's look at McCain's emerging change of heart on the relevance of Obama's former pastor to the country's future. During a recent radio interview, McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said Rep. John Lewis' comparison of McCain to George Wallace has caused the campaign to "rethink" a few things about race and the race. "When Congressman Lewis calls John McCain and Sarah Palin and his entire group of supporters... racists and we should be compared to George Wallace and the kind of horrible segregation and evil and horrible politics that was played at that time, you know that you've got to rethink all these things," Davis told conservative talk radio host Hugh Hewitt. "And so I think we're in the process of looking at how we're going to close this campaign. We've got 19 days, and we're taking serious all these issues."

Davis is a smart guy, so I'm sure he didn't mean to sound as petty and cynical as he did. Because this is what it sounds like he's saying: Mean old John Lewis called us racists, which hurt our feelings. So now, we're going to ... play the race card.

Formally injecting Wright into the campaign's final days could turn the race upside down. Just ask Hillary Rodham Clinton, who enjoyed some runaway primary wins in the spring after the Wright story broke. Those victories stemmed from a surge of support among working-class white voters, many of whom said race, and Wright, were key factors in their decision to back her. McCain needs those voters in his column.

But McCain has run a very different campaign than Clinton did, which now poses a series of risks for him. A new CNN/Opinion Research poll says nearly 6 in 10 Americans alreadybelieve McCain has unfairly gone negative against Obama. That's up sharply from September, when just 42 percent thought so. It's also considerably higher than the percentage of Americans who feel Obama has gone unfairly negative.

Of course, just because voters think McCain's tactics are overly negative doesn't mean those tactics don't work. Which is why the Obama camp should respond to such an attack with more than a predictable boatload of "OMG" outrage on cable news and tsk-tsk op-eds penned by big-name surrogates.

They should respond with Palin.

In his Sunday interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," Colin Powell opened the door to a more aggressive approach towards the Maverick's Sidekick, specifically citing McCain's choice of running mate as a reason to question his fitness for office. Other Obama surrogates have started beating the drum. "One [presidential candidate] picked one of the strongest candidates for vice president he could have picked," Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., said at a rally of 100,000 supporters in St. Louis last weekend, referring to Joe Biden. "And, well, the other didn't."

The Democrats' case is simple: If Wright is a crucial issue, then surely McCain's own running mate is even more so. Wright would play no role in an Obama administration. Palin would play one in McCain's; she might even become president.

There was, of course, a time when Democrats tiptoed around Palin. As recently as the Oct. 15 debate, Obama demurred when asked whether she was qualified to be president. "You know, I think it's -- that's going to be up to the American people. I think that, obviously, she's a capable politician who has, I think, excited the -- a base in the Republican Party," he told moderator Bob Schieffer.

Obama's response sounded like a throwback to a happier time for the GOP. A time when Palin was an undeniable asset to their ticket. A time when the media was focused on pigs with lipstick and hockey moms, not a stock market in free-fall or a country on the brink of economic collapse. A time before Palin failed to respond to reporters or debate moderators' questions -- not to mention speakers at her rallies who referred to Barack "Hussein" Obama or a supporter who yelled out "kill him" at the mention of Bill Ayers.
    It was a time when Palin's poll numbers made her a force to be reckoned with. No longer. In a September Newsweek poll, voters were split over whether they thought Palin was qualified to be president. This month those saying she was "unqualified" jumped to a 16-point margin. Her support among women has also steadily eroded.

Mercurio: Obama has a trump card - National Journal - MSNBC.com

McCain has been going after Obama with negative ads based on whispered rumors. A whole commercial of Palin's own words along with the Republicans who have identified her as unqualified would be more than fair. It would be their own words, from their own mouths.

Witch doctors, rape victims and kits, stupid shit she's said..

just put it all in one commercial and point out how fucking stupid she is.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Her support among women has also steadily eroded.

No way! I can't imagine it when she claims to be a feminist and Mccain says she's a role model to ALL women.

Jeez - all they need to do is play Palin's own words from her many interviews, dubbed over the video of McCain staggering around the stage looking for the stairs and that would be it. With the "I'm Barack Obama and I support this message" or whatever it is they say.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Jeez - all they need to do is play Palin's own words from her many interviews, dubbed over the video of McCain staggering around the stage looking for the stairs and that would be it. With the "I'm Barack Obama and I support this message" or whatever it is they say.

^^ The mental pic made me lmao. They could do it split-screen. One half with Palin shooting the wolves from her helicopter, and the other with Mccain looking lost and singing Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.

And at the end, a smiling Barack... "I'm Barack Obama, and I approve this message... because we just can't afford more of the same."

Last edited by cmmdee; October 22nd, 2008 at 02:42 PM.

Elite Member

Default Re

For the most part, Obama's campaign has been letting McCain's camp implode. I would say that it is doing a very good job of shooting itself in the foot. At this point, I think the MSM is pro-Obama, or at least not pro-McCain. Every time they report on the idiocies of the McCain campaign, and Obama stays focused on his own message, he wins.

People are getting sick of the negative stuff and they will turn on Obama as well if he goes there. That's just my opinion, of course.

To say nothing of the situational ethics - this $150k on clothing was also for the family, travel expenses for her daughters (why not the older son, but specifically for the daughters?), troopergate is a non-sequitor, general issue of entitlement unable to put a SINGLE coherent sentence together in response to a question. And the single most important matter - she has never (apparently) even glanced at the Constitution and HAS NO IDEA what job she is running for.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    For the most part, Obama's campaign has been letting McCain's camp implode. I would say that it is doing a very good job of shooting itself in the foot. At this point, I think the MSM is pro-Obama, or at least not pro-McCain. Every time they report on the idiocies of the McCain campaign, and Obama stays focused on his own message, he wins.

People are getting sick of the negative stuff and they will turn on Obama as well if he goes there. That's just my opinion, of course.
    Another thing that I think has really been bad for Mccain is his almost refusal to let any of the MSM or reporters go near Palin.
    When you're running for POTUS, I imagine you would want to COURT the media so you are seen in a good light. But he has basically said they suck and Palin has got anti-media, even banning some from her own rallies.
    That cannot help at all.

Thread Information