Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama!

Thumbs up Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama!

Obama Backed By Colin Powell

Breaking News

2:40pm UK, Sunday October 19, 2008

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell has endorsed Barack Obama for President of the United States.

Major boost for Obama

The move is a huge boost for Democrat Mr Obama as Mr Powell served under current President George Bush during his first term.
    He had also been talked about as a possible running mate for Mr Obama's Republican rival John McCain, a man with whom he had worked for many years.

Sky's Ian Woods, reporting from Washington, said the decision was a "major setback" for the McCain campaign.

He said that in a TV appearance, Mr Powell had criticised the McCain campaign, saying there was a shift to the right in the Republican party, and praised Mr Obama.

He also said that he did not believe that Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin was ready to be President.

The news came as it was revealed that Mr Obama raised more than $150m (87m) for his campaign in September, breaking the record of $66m (38m) he set the previous month.

Unlike his Republican rival John McCain, Mr Obama chose not to accept public funding for his campaign, leaving him free to raise millions privately.

The amount of money raised has allowed him to blanket the airwaves with advertising in the run-up to the November 4 poll.
    Mr Obama's campaign has purchased a half-hour prime-time television slot on October 29, six days before the election, to make its final push.

His campaign added 620,000 new donors last month to bring the total to 3.1 million.

The average donation for the month was less than $100 (58).

Barack Obama Endorsed By Former Secretary Of State Colin Powell | World News | Sky News

*twirls finger*

Fuck off, Nigerian Yellowcake and Aluminum tubes. YOu lied. You lied about My Lai too. Fuck you, back to irrelevency with your bullshit.

Oh, and up yours.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

yeah, I'm kind of wondering, who is this going to bring over...military types? Black conservatives? Anyone at all? Condi is going to vote Obama too, from the looks of it. I about choked when watching Colbert interview Parker and she basically intimated she was voting Obama. I think a whole lot of conservative women are secretly going to vote Obama, out of genunine concern about Palin.

I just watched it on MTP: Powell endorses Obama for president - Meet the Press, online at MSNBC - MSNBC.com
    Powell was very eloquent and logical in his reasoning. It'll be hard to say anything to discount his endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    *twirls finger*

Fuck off, Nigerian Yellowcake and Aluminum tubes. YOu lied. You lied about My Lai too. Fuck you, back to irrelevency with your bullshit.

Oh, and up yours.
    I have to agree with Grimm here, it's his right to endorse anyone he wants, but I'm curious as to why he's still relevant here, or why he waited so long and trying to make a circus out of his announcement, as if his only his opinion is what matters in this world. Sounds like an ego trip to me. He sold his soul a long time ago.

Time magazine is considering this an important endorsement. Let's hope so

Of course, one of his major concerns with McCain is his choice of running mate!

McCain is/was so irresponsible in his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I have to agree with Grimm here, it's his right to endorse anyone he wants, but I'm curious as to why he's still relevant here, or why he waited so long and trying to make a circus out of his announcement, as if his only his opinion is what matters in this world. Sounds like an ego trip to me. He sold his soul a long time ago.
    People love him because they don't see him as a political person. It'd be the same as if Schwarzkopf endorsed Obama. There were both national heros in the 90s, and people of both parties put them on a pedestal. Even though Powell was part of W's administration, it has never seemed to tarnished his reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Time magazine is considering this an important endorsement. Let's hope so

Of course, one of his major concerns with McCain is his choice of running mate!

McCain is/was so irresponsible in his choice.
    It's an important endorsement from a political standpoint. I don't respect Powell anymore, but he still carries a lot of political clout. And the fact that he's a Republican and he said Palin isn't qualified to be VP is a smack in the face to McCain and the GOP.

To be honest, I would've been shocked if he had still endorsed McCain after watching the way he and Palin have been race-baiting for the last few weeks at their rallies. And I'm sure that had something to do with why he didn't endorse McCain either.

Of course Republicans will just say Powell's black, Obama's black, do the math.

Elite Member

Default Re

His endorsement means little or nothing to liberals, but to some conservatives it legitimizes Obama, and hopefully they will feel that it gives them "permission" to vote across party lines.

He said he would wait to endorse anyone until he watched all three debates, and he did. Perhaps that will make people take his endorsement more seriously.

DH is a politics guy and has been waiting for this as he thinks it's a very important endorsement. I must say that I argued with him about it a bit--I don't really get it.

The point that it hurts the McCain ticket is interesting--that this is an insider, someone who would normally be aligned with McCain, and someone who has a lot of knowledge (maybe more than he'd like?) about the war in Iraq.

I would be interested in knowing the story behind Powell's statements prior to the Iraq war. I have long seen Powell as being collaterally damaged by the Bush administration. Why did Powell help us into that war? Was he just lying for the higher-ups? Did he know he was lying?

DH thinks that this endorsement being in the news cycle for a couple of days at this stage in the campaign will help to solidify some votes for Obama. It will also prevent positive McCain news stories.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

This is going to make a difference to a lot of retired military. I admire and respect Gen. Powell. He explained his past decisions clearly and neatly pointed out McClain (who I honestly think he loves) had made him rethink with a)economy and b)running mate. He is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    DH is a politics guy and has been waiting for this as he thinks it's a very important endorsement. I must say that I argued with him about it a bit--I don't really get it.

The point that it hurts the McCain ticket is interesting--that this is an insider, someone who would normally be aligned with McCain, and someone who has a lot of knowledge (maybe more than he'd like?) about the war in Iraq.

I would be interested in knowing the story behind Powell's statements prior to the Iraq war. I have long seen Powell as being collaterally damaged by the Bush administration. Why did Powell help us into that war? Was he just lying for the higher-ups? Did he know he was lying?

DH thinks that this endorsement being in the news cycle for a couple of days at this stage in the campaign will help to solidify some votes for Obama. It will also prevent positive McCain news stories.
    If you really mean you are interested in in knowing this, the answer is right above you. See him explain it all on the link to Meet The Press,in Little Wombat's post.

As far as preventing any positive McCain stories-not a chance. What it might do is let him slide with yet another economic plan,just one of many. If we keep voting like we have been voting,we'll keep getting what we have gotten-screwed.
    Last edited by Tati; October 22nd, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    I just watched it on MTP: Powell endorses Obama for president - Meet the Press, online at MSNBC - MSNBC.com
    Powell was very eloquent and logical in his reasoning. It'll be hard to say anything to discount his endorsement.
    I missed this before. I was impressed with the way Powell explained his reasons for endorsing Obama. And I knew part of it had to do with the way the Republicans have been race-baiting lately.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I missed this before. I was impressed with the way Powell explained his reasons for endorsing Obama. And I knew part of it had to do with the way the Republicans have been race-baiting lately.
    I am not sure he was looking at it as race bailting-just negative and off message. He is military-wants them to get to the point and stay there. He is RIGHT.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    If you really mean you are interested in in knowing this, the answer is right above you. See him explain it all on the link to Meet The Press,in Little Wombat's post.

As far as preventing any positive McCain stories-not a chance. What it might do is let him slide with yet another economic plan,just one of many. If we keep voting like we have been voting,we'll keep getting what we have gotten-screwed.
    Thank you--my Firefox browser is all screwed up and won't let me watch things, so I'll switch to Explorer and take a look at this.

I went to a few Web sites and saw that Powell has called this Iraq thing a "blot" on his record that he regrets. I bet!

But as I was trying to say before, at least this is someone who knows the inside story on Iraq and is coming out against McCain, who plainly wants the U.S. to fight on there.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

[quote=Shinola;1428601]Thank you--my Firefox browser is all screwed up and won't let me watch things, so I'll switch to Explorer and take a look at this.

I went to a few Web sites and saw that Powell has called this Iraq thing a "blot" on his record that he regrets. I bet!

But as I was trying to say before, at least this is someone who knows the inside story on Iraq and is coming out against McCain, who plainly wants the U.S. to fight on there.[/quote]
    Yes-and I think retired Military (and there are muliti-thousands are with him on this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information