Thread: NYT article on Cindy McCain 10/18/08

Default NYT article on Cindy McCain 10/18/08

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/18/us...hp&oref=slogin

I would have pasted the whole article, but it's multiple pages. I don't think there's a lot of new info, but the McCain camp has a scathing reply: (From Politico)

The New York Times devotes the four middle columns above the fold to a Cindy McCain profile, “The Long Run — Ambition and Ambivalence: Behind McCain, Washington Outsider Wanting Back In,” By Jodi Kantor and David M. Halbfinger: “Cindy McCain, the wife of the Republican presidential nominee, has spent the last year pursuing a return to Washington: ‘a harsh town’ that does not suit her, she has said. Nor does campaigning, friends say. She has done relatively few solo events, grants interviews reluctantly — she declined to speak for this article — and in introducing her husband at events, she offers few of the heartwarming anecdotes that are the stock in trade of the political spouse. When she finishes, she stands silently behind him, sometimes with an approving smile, sometimes looking strained.”

They clearly didn’t interview young Jack McDonald, whom she takes care of when he comes to visit daddy at campaign headquarters.
    The McCain campaign pushed back with unprecedented ferocity, with an 11:47 p.m. “Statement on New York Times trash report on Mrs. McCain,” by McCain-Palin spokesman Michael Goldfarb: “Today the New York Times launched yet another in a series of vicious attacks on Senator John McCain, this time targeting not the candidate, but his wife Cindy. Under the guise of a 'profile' piece, the New York Times fails to cover any new ground or provide any discernible value to the reader other than to portray Mrs. McCain in the worst possible light. … It is a black mark on the record of a paper that was once widely respected, but is now little more than a propaganda organ for the Democratic party. The New York Times has accused John McCain of running a dishonorable campaign, but today it is plain to see where the real dishonor lies."

I think the sum is she is a cold, brittle woman. She probably does good works, but she'll always be the other woman and probably questions if it's just the money that keeps Johnny boy around.

I don't think the article is critical of Cindy, it's critical of John, being a self-obsessed, megolomaniac and neglecting his wife and her needs.
    Last edited by MontanaMama; October 18th, 2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Adding more of my 2 cents

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Can it be read online?
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

yes, it is at The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia its 3 pages long. They are running Kitty (the writer) through the wringer for it, and that was on cnn, not Fox lol
    Last edited by cupcake; October 18th, 2008 at 03:36 PM.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Elite Member

Default Re

Can I just say...I'm an Obama-loving liberal, but I still think that article is completely unnecessary and doesn't belong in the NYT. It doesn't add anything new to the discourse and it is invasive.

I have fairly neutral feelings towards Cindy. She is only human (though you wouldn't always know it from looking at her). I think being a politician's wife would suck ass, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Can I just say...I'm an Obama-loving liberal, but I still think that article is completely unnecessary and doesn't belong in the NYT. It doesn't add anything new to the discourse and it is invasive.

I have fairly neutral feelings towards Cindy. She is only human (though you wouldn't always know it from looking at her). I think being a politician's wife would suck ass, personally.
    Yes it would stink. I guess her attorney is on it now. Think she will sympathy votes?
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

she stole drugs from a childrens charity to feed her own addictions.

Nuff said.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Well, you know...If Obama had a wife who had had a drug addiction and had stolen from a charity she worked with...

Or if he had a teenage daughter who was pregnant out of wedlock...

We wouldn't even be having this conversation, because there is no way he would be a viable candidate.

Cindy's addiction illustrates a few salient things about addiction: (1) It can happen to anyone, (2) Addicts lie and substance abuse breeds crime, and (3) If you are rich and white and abuse drugs, you get sympathy and help, but otherwise, fuggedabout it.

Her experience as an addict is both typical and atypical.

And in response to cupcake's post--I hope McCain doesn't get sympathy votes because of it. I'm just saying that article is more appropriate for Vanity Fair or something like that, because it is not very newsworthy.

Yeah, it sucks that everything Michelle Obama says or does is put under a microscope, but Cindy has pretty much gotten a pass, but I'd prefer to see them both left alone.

I love me some Barack and Michelle, though. Whenever I see a picture of them, it makes me smile.

When I see a picture of Cindy, I can almost see the feelings that she is choking back.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I've read articles about Cindy before and I have a lot of sympathy for her. It's too bad she is so needy and feels she has to be married to an asshole. He has treated her terribly throughout their marriage. She is no innocent but I can't really blame her, being married to a douche requires drugs.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

^^I think you've hit it. But she should, at least have some pride. If my daughter marries a troll, I certainly won't be buying presents in his name for her.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I don't think there's much wrong with teh article...she just seems like a ver lonely and sad woman who desperately wants her husband to notice her and be there for her. In that she's like tens of thousands of women everywhere.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

ouch...that opening anecdote must sting. Geez, I'm real sorry she's had a rough time, marrying that asshole and all, but she got with him when his wife was recovering from that awful accident. She's got all the money and resources in the world to fix every damn problem life might present her with. She can go to the best treatment centers, best therapists, best doctors, best plastic surgeons. Cry me a river. I felt sorry for the McCains back when the right was lying about them and their Bangladeshi daughter. Not since, and never again.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

The sad thing is that they're in bed the the very same people who targeted them in 2000, which shows them to have the moral character of a pair of gnats.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information