Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John McCain's ties to G. Gordon Liddy

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default John McCain's ties to G. Gordon Liddy

McCain may have come back with mea culpas to David Letterman after blowing him off a few weeks ago, but Letterman wasn't going to make things easy on McCain. After pointed questions on taking responsibility for hate speech incited by his campaign, as well as whether he really thinks Sarah Palin was the best choice for her Vice President, Letterman started to question McCain on his own ties to a famous "domestic terrorist" G. Gordon Liddy...or maybe we should call him Gordon the Plumber.

Dave: I know, but you will also admit that we cannot really control who we interact with in our lives 100 percent. I mean -- you have --

McCain: How long we interact with them and how we interact with them -- but the point, the point in this campaign is the economy and the economy --

Dave: Did you not have a relationship with Gordon Liddy?

McCain: Uh, I met him. I --

Dave: Did you attend a fundraiser at his house?

McCain: Gordon Liddy's?

Paul: I object, your honor.

Media Matters:

And in an August 22 blog post about an anti-Obama ad highlighting Obama's association with Ayers, (Chicago Tribune reporter Steve) Chapman wrote:

But conservatives may not want to draw attention to the issue of ties to violent radicals -- since John McCain is longtime pals with convicted Watergate burglar Gordon Liddy, who once plotted a journalist's murder (which was never carried out) and has advocated the shooting of federal law enforcement agents.

And more:

Liddy has donated $5,000 to McCain's campaigns since 1998, including $1,000 in February 2008. In addition, McCain has appeared on Liddy's radio show during the presidential campaign, including as recently as May. An online video labeled "John McCain On The G. Gordon Liddy Show 11/8/07" includes a discussion between Liddy and McCain, whom Liddy described as an "old friend." During the segment, McCain praised Liddy's "adherence to the principles and philosophies that keep our nation great," said he was "proud" of Liddy, and said that "it's always a pleasure for me to come on your program."

Additionally, in 1998, Liddy reportedly held a fundraiser at his home for McCain. Liddy was reportedly scheduled to speak at another fundraiser for McCain in 2000. The Charlotte Observer reported on January 23, 2000, that McCain's campaign vouched for Liddy's "character".

Nailed him.Crooks and Liars
    Anyone else starting to get the feeling McSame isn't playing with a full deck? Why go after Obama on supposed ties to Ayers when he has this shit hanging around in his closet?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Libbly was convicted and served 5 years of his sentence, until Carter commuted him. Ayers never served any time for anything because of the wire tapping
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

^^ But its still guilt by association right?

If Obama was associated with him in the same way - would you or the Republicans would excuse him?

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Libbly was convicted and served 5 years of his sentence, until Carter commuted him. Ayers never served any time for anything because of the wire tapping
    But that's not the point. It's about associations. If Obama is guilty by association, then so is McCain.

Republicans like to make the case that Obama's associations call his judgement into question. Why don't the same rules apply to McCain?

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    ^^ But its still guilt by association right?

If Obama was associated with him in the same way - would you or the Republicans would excuse him?
    Probly not, am I excusing Mccain? Nope, but the guy paid his debt to society. I think he is a nut job for sure. And evil looking
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Both candidates had bad judgement.
    Rip Mom

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

So you're saying it's better to hang with a convicted felon than to have a very tenuous association with a radical from the 60's, a time when radicalism was the new black?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Both candidates had bad judgement.
    That's fair to say.

But why is it that Obama's association with Ayers gets turned into 'he's palling around with terrorists.' But McCain, who wasn't 8 years old when Liddy was being a 'domestic terrorist', gets excused by conservatives.

And McCain's been 'palling around' with Liddy during the presidential race, but Obama hasn't been seen with Ayers at all.

Mccain has been on his radio show in recent years and accepted money from him as well. He just cant deny a relationship with him, its in black an white. What bothered me about Obama was he downplayed his association with Ayers when he should have been straight up. As well as with his Pastor, i dont think he was fully truthful about the 20 years he was there .All politicians are into so many things none of us know about. Thats why some call them crooked politicians. I feel there are a very few who could be held to high standard. Mccain cannot hide behind this. If they would just start being more honest about their relationships I would feel alot better...
    Rip Mom

I dont agree with the quote he is palling around with terrorists, That is not the case. He had an association with one that I feel hasnt been fully disclosed.
    Rip Mom

^^The point is, McCain/Palin are running around saying that Obama is 'palling around with terrorists' while McCain is doing the same thing. Now, Obama downplayed his association with Ayers for political reasons, but McCain revels in his association with Liddy. By McCain making Ayers an issue, when he's hanging out with Liddy and taking donations from him, it's smacks of hypocrisy.

But, then again, Ayers was just a red herring anyway. McCain just wanted to have an excuse to use the word 'terrorist' in connection with Obama's name.

And that is the main point- Many Republicans and Democrats have shady dealings but the implication was to make Obama look like he was a terrorist himself which many of Palin and McCain's nutty supporters have said so. Its really disgusting that they have denigrated this election into this rather than issues.
    This is a distraction tactic which many people have fallen for.

I dont think many people are happy with their decisions to campaign this way and the "polls" have reflected that. At this stage of the game I just want to hear the issues.
    Rip Mom

I dont think many people are happy with their decisions to campaign this way and the "polls" have reflected that. At this stage of the game I just want to hear the issues.
    We can definitely agree on that.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

You may want to, but there a lot of people like my sister who just listen to FOX and read shit on the internet, This might dissuade them. I hope not as my sister has been turning away from the dark side. I'll have to call and find out.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information