Thread: John McCain to do Letterman - no this time it’s for real

Default John McCain to do Letterman - no this time it’s for real

McCain to do Letterman - no this time it’s for real | csmonitor.com

Who needs to book a 30-minute infomercial on the networks? John McCain and Sarah Palin will probably get more of an audience just appearing on the David Letterman show and Saturday Night Live.

McCain’s on-again off-again appearance on Letterman is on again. But this time, he’s really going to do it. Really. He’s booked for this Thursday night, according to the Late Show’s website.

Cancel again
    If he wanted more press though, perhaps McCain should cancel again. Probably the most attention McCain ever received for doing the David Letterman show was when he didn’t do the David Letterman show.

In fact, the announcement that McCain actually is going to appear later this week only has brought attention to the time he didn’t do it.

And that’s saying a lot. McCain is a veteran of the program. He does the Letterman show more often than Christopher Walken or Alec Baldwin hosts Saturday Night Live. He’s done the show 13 times.

We regret…
    But McCain’s last-minute cancellation two and a half weeks ago led the late night comic to launch a two-day slingfest directed at the Republican nominee with intermittent barbs thereafter.
    At issue was the reason given for the cancellation. The campaign said it was necessary for McCain to suspend his campaign to head back to Washington to work on the economic bailout package.
    Letterman found the excuse for the cancellation suspect. “Are we suspending [the campaign] because there’s an economic crisis or because the poll numbers are sliding?” Letterman asked during his monologue.

He’s with Katie?
    But what really got Letterman steamed was finding out McCain was still in New York. In fact, he was getting made-up for an interview with CBS anchor Katie Couric.
    This wasn’t just rumor. Letterman had access to the CBS video feed showing McCain and the makeup artist. Showing the feed for the studio and national audience, Letterman said, “He doesn’t seem to be racing to the airport, does he? Hey, John, I got a question! You need a ride to the airport?”

Palin fun
    Although there were some bad feelings for the cancellation, Letterman was able to turn it into a lot of comedy including two nights of Top Ten lists directed at the Republican ticket and some potshots at McCain’s running mate.
    “[Palin] was at the General Assembly and someone said to her, “Oh, look over there. That’s the President of Georgia,” And she said, “Wow, Jimmy Carter.” And then she said, “Boy, I hope I get to meet Queen Latifah.”

Palin on SNL
    Speaking of Palin, perhaps she will be able to get even at Letterman everyone in the media for all the jokes at her expense when she appears on Saturday Night Live in two weeks.
    Think of the web traffic her appearance will draw. Tina Fey’s initial impersonation of Palin in SNL’s season premiere produced the most-watched viral video in SNL history.
    Last edited by bychance; October 14th, 2008 at 05:09 PM.

I am actually surprised Mccain is going on since Letterman has clowned him from the day he lied and said he was on a plane to Wash, essentially dissing his show altogether.

I wonder if Letterman will go soft on him...

^I hope Dave sticks it to him (again).

I just don't get WHY he's even bothering to have him on? IMO Letterman has sold out letting him on now.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Letterman is not in politics, he is in entertainment and of course ratings. I think no less of him for having McCain on. He is an entertainer first and foremost. You guys are making him out to be a political pundit.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

^Ditto. Although I still think Dave is going to give him hell for ditching.

Maybe we'll get lucky, and Dave will make bunny ears behind McWrinkle's head all evening.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    ^I hope Dave sticks it to him (again).
    I think Dave is going to dance this fool all around the stage when he comes back!

I wonder what McCain's excuse will be. This will be uncomfortable and awkward to watch.

Thread Information