Thread: Troopergate ain't over: Fired Alaskan Commisioner files complaint about reputation

Thumbs up Troopergate ain't over: Fired Alaskan Commisioner files complaint about reputation

It's REALLY not over for Sarah Palin:
    Walt Monegan returns the fire

In a bold move, former Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan filed a request with the personnel board on Monday for a "Due Process Hearing To Address Reputational Harm", inflicted by Governor Sarah Palin.

Monegan's attorney Jeff Feldman wrote in his filing that while Monegan does not contest the goveror's right to discharge him from his position as commissioner, the governor is not entitled to make untrue and defamatory statements about her reasons for discharging him.
    "The factual questions raised in Governor Palin's complaint to the Personnel Board are closely related to the factual questions raised by Mr. Monegan's consititutional right to a hearing that will provide him the opportunity to clear his name and redress reputational harm by publicly proving that he was not a rogue employee or grossly insubordinate, as the Governor has alleged, and that he was not terminated as Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety for those reasons."
    In a 65 page addendum, Feldman breaks down every accusation about Monegan's behavior and refutes the false claims about Monegan being a rogue commissioner. In one exhibit, emails are provided to show that Monegan's trip to Washington to seek additional federal funds for Alaska's high rate of sexual assault -that Governor Palin called "the last straw" - was in fact approved and a product of almost eight months of coordination within the administration.

For more on this story...tune in tomorrow to my radio show for a complete discussion of Monegan's filing and the detailed evidence presented to refute the governor's charges that Monegan was a "rogue employee" and was "egregiously subordinate."
    The Program w/ Andrew Halcro
    www.650keni.com
    (Live audio and Video Stream)
    1pm to 4pm (Alaska Standard Time)

Walt Monegan returns the fire | AndrewHalcro.com
    You can view the "Request for Due Process" here (pdf, 6 pages).
    Last edited by Fluffy; October 14th, 2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: added pdf link

ha! Glad he's stepping up. I think there is alot more history here than he's letting on. This time article about it has an interesting snippet:

"The report also raises the suggestion that the final incident that led to Monegan's firing was perhaps the most (unintentionally) hilarious part of the whole saga. In the run-up to Alaska's 2008 Police Memorial Day event, Monegan visited Palin in Anchorage and brought along an official portrait of a state trooper in uniform, saluting in front of the police memorial in Anchorage, for Palin to sign and present at the event. The trooper? Mike Wooten."
    What the Troopergate Report Really Says - TIME

Good for him. I would not go quietly after what she did,either.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Go Mr. Monegan!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

This just got even more interesting. I bet Todd 'dumbass' Palin is just this very moment thinking about how he can get away with running this guy over with his snowmobile.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Okay, I had been wondering whether this guy would come forward with some kind of action. Good for him! Kick some ass, Monegan!
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Monegan visited Palin in Anchorage and brought along an official portrait of a state trooper in uniform, saluting in front of the police memorial in Anchorage, for Palin to sign and present at the event. The trooper? Mike Wooten."
    This was probably the straw that broke the moose's back for Palin. She's trying to get Wooten fired and Monegan brings her a picture of Wooten, in uniform, for her to sign.

Here's a related article from the Anchorage Daily News:
    Ousted safety commissioner: Palin image damaged

(10/13/08 08:16:25)

Former Alaska Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan said Monday he feels "relieved" by a legislative report concluding that Gov. Sarah Palin abused her authority by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper.

"I've never contested my firing. My firing was completely lawful," Monegan said in a nationally broadcast interview. "It wasn't that I was fired that I asked any questions. It was, what were the reasons for the firing."

Monegan declined to say in an interview with NBC's "Today" show what legal options, if any, he might be exploring in the wake of the findings announced late Friday in Alaska by investigator Stephen Branchflower.

Monegan did say that he and his family were pleased with the report's conclusions.

"Actually, I feel relieved," he said. "My wife and I have been through a lot. It's not a matter of being revenged. It's just strictly a matter of being relieved." Monegan was interviewed by telephone from Alaska.

In his report Friday to a bipartisan panel that looked into the matter, Branchflower found Palin in violation of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain. Palin has said that Monegan's tenure as the state's lead law enforcement officer ended because of policy differences.

The inquiry looked into the dismissal of Monegan, who said he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce and custody battle with the governor's sister.

"I feel vindicated," Monegan had said late Friday. "It sounds like they've validated my belief and opinions. And that tells me I'm not totally out in left field."

On Monday, Monegan said the controversy "really isn't about me."

"I think that we're more concerned about our governor," he added, "and I think she took a big blow to her credibility and more significantly to her promises of being open and transparent."

Asked how he planned to vote in the November elections, Monegan said he didn't want to say, telling his interviewer that's why they "put those little curtains around" the polling booth.

Thread Information