Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do blue collar workers vote Republican?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Why do blue collar workers vote Republican?

This has been a key factor for the GOP victories since the 90's. Unskilled folks that vote for the Repubs and then suffer the consequences of "free market" (jobs going overseas, ridiculous healthcare rates, lack of social protection). It seems unbelievable to me that these people rather have their "values" protected instead of looking for their own welfare. Take for instance those guys at the GOP rallies that have made the news for embarrasing issues. I bet most of them have serious problems in terms of social coverage and certainly would be doing better with a progressive administration. But they won't vote Obama because he's a communist "nigger" (yeah, that's the word they haven't dared to say yet, although they are eager to do so)

There is no simple answer to that but I think it comes from having a population that descended from the religious fanatics and prisoners that initially populated the americas (not to mention the children of immigrants, immigrants had a rough time upon arrival across the board/more americans descended from Germans than any other group and German children of the late 19th and early 20th century were raised with some pretty barbaric parenting concepts based around shame and humiliation). Offspring were more likely to be raised with brutality and that leads to narcissism/authoritarianism. Both love and worship authority and would rather align themselves with an authority figure than be adrift with a mind of their own with which to think. They are knee-jerk compartmental thinkers who assign authority to some entity (the church, their parents, the way things used to be, or whatever...almost always the object of their devotion is a facade, too, the point is to give away their power, not necessarily to believe in truth). Anyway, the thing of it seems to be that these groups decide early in life what that authority is and don't vary much. First and foremost it's the church, and the republicans have just finagled a way in the last few decades to align themselves with religious thought enough to be caught in the net of the authoritarian mind's angling for someone to give their power away to. Authoritarians can't stand to think, because it's too painful to face the indecision and confusion that would bring about...once they make the decision early in life about who is good or bad, they don't change much (Elizabeth Hasselbeck is a perfect example, although she's not blue-collar). With the death of trade unions and the advent of right to work laws in most of the states, the unions don't have the pull they once did. The working class didn't trust the rich until the rich pretended to be holy. It's really something the republicans have done to dupe these folks by using God to vote against their own interests.

edit: I didn't see the word at the end of your post but it brings up another point, along with externalizing their personal power onto an authority figure authoritarians also project their flaws onto others. People with Narcissistic Personality Disorder do this almost as much as they breathe, they are so damaged by whatever trauma they've experienced that it's necessary for their survival psychologically, and, cultures that are dominated by narcissism and brutality chose less powerful groups to project onto, splitting those groups 'all bad'. Those would be minority ethnic groups, gays, women, whatever. It is essentially a very infantile thought process and when a culture has enough of a concentration of those minds in one place, look out (or enough people willing to and in a place to be capable of committing election fraud on a large scale, in the case of 2000 and 2004).

sorry to be blunt and elitist but because they're uneducated and don't understand the consequences of their vote, and buy into the 'everyman' joe sixpack bullshit the republicans sell them. or religion. or both.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Sputnik pretty much wrapped it up. They believe the lies they are fed, they thrive on this weird view of anti-intellectualism--so being intelligent and informed is somehow suspect, they believe that their instincts, such as they are are the best barometer on how to vote and the whole idea of the self-educated, intellectual working man died somewhere around late 1960. The repugs have tied intellectualism to evil anti-Americanism and alot of people buy into it.

I should also add that the repugs have been driving home the idea that to question anything AMerica does is to be un-American or somehow less than a patriot. It stems from the Vietnam War era. I don't think they ever got over the whole Nixon thing.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    sorry to be blunt and elitist but because they're uneducated and don't understand the consequences of their vote, and buy into the 'everyman' joe sixpack bullshit the republicans sell them. or religion. or both.
    ^That's the nice version of what I would have said.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Yep.

because they're fucking stupid.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    because they're fucking stupid.
    Not all of them. Did you see the "Rednecks for Obama" Youtube that someone posted on here?

But generally, people who didn't have the IQ or the means to go to college resent those who did. The Republicans press that button by equating Democrats with intellectual elitists and telling the uneducated masses that "they think they're better than you".

Also, military personnel are overwhelmingly from the working class. So any criticism of American military policy is seen as slamming the military itself, not being patriotic, and being part of the "better than you" mentality.

I met with a friend this weekend and she and her husband are both former National Guard and they both served in Iraq in the early 90's. I expected her to have the Republican ideology, but she was suprisingly critical of the current military strategy. And she dislikes Palin as much as I do. BUT, she is college educated (the guard is how she paid for college). So I do think eyes are being opened all across the country even from some people you wouldn't expect. Maybe it has something to do with Obama's ability to explain things in a way most people can understand without sounding condescending ("I'm going to dumb this down for you").

Sadly, many blue collar workers in this country lack the cognitive reasoning required to understand complex issues, such as politics.

Why does anyone?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I don't get it either, I work in a union shop and people still don't get it. I give extra money every month to help support the canidates that support the union. Today a woman I work with ask what the money goes for. She's a dimwit and gives too but doesn't know what it's being used for. And she wonders who she should vote for. duh. I need to stay out of the break area until the election is over or all hell may break loose.......
    Last edited by B.C.; October 13th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.

Elite Member

Many are just plain ignorant and don't know any better.

I tried to reason with my dad over the phone the other day but he would not be swayed. He has always voted republican because of the "family values" anthem they seem to covet, the association with Christianity, and...guns.

I asked him why he thought McCain should be the one to lead the country and he said "BECAUSE, he was a p.o.dubya and him and the lady are MAVERICKS. And, Obama will raise taxes on people like us and make us pay for other people to go to college." I told him you have to do more research before voting than just watching the ads they run on TV
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

that, and they get scared by the "higher taxes" the Repubs keep claiming they'll get under democrats

I think it is because they are being bombarded with fear tactics,-even from the pulpit. Small things like Obamas middle name get blown out of porportion. And frankly some are so pro life it overshadows all other fears. Oh-and all this this economy stuff is laid at the feet of Dems-with grains of truth.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think its becaue the democratic liberals is gonna take ma guns from me.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information