Thread: Clintons FINALLY to start stumping for Barack Obama

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Clintons FINALLY to start stumping for Barack Obama

WASHINGTON -- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, already leading in the polls, was expected to get a further boost Sunday when former President Bill Clinton and his wife, Sen. Hillary Clinton, begin making joint campaign appearances on his behalf.

The nation's best known and most powerful Democrats for nearly two decades will be on the road for Obama, who vanquished Hillary Clinton last spring in a bitter primary contest. The Clintons apparently have put that behind them and will stump for Obama's election.

The Clintons are to appear with Obama's running mate, Joe Biden, at a rally Sunday in the working class town of Scranton, Pennsylvania. The location is meaningful because Biden was born in Scranton and lived there for several years as a child, while Hillary Clinton's father grew up in the town and is buried there.

On Saturday, Republican presidential candidate John McCain toned down his rhetoric against Obama, apparently concerned with angry sloganeering from supporters at some of his rallies -- and criticism that he had gone too far.

Obama, in turn, made a slight nod to McCain as he campaigned in Philadelphia and asked voters to have faith in him as the next president.

Even as he criticized McCain's economic proposals, Obama acknowledged that the Republican nominee has begun to ask his supporters to temper their attacks on him.

"I appreciated his reminder that we can disagree while still being respectful of each other," Obama told thousands of supporters at the first of four outdoor rallies in Philadelphia. Police estimated he drew more than 60,000 people to the four events.

"Sen. McCain has served this country with honor," Obama said later. "He deserves our thanks for that."

McCain kept his speech at a rally in Davenport, Iowa, focused on the economy and his policies, a striking change from just days ago when his campaign redoubled its challenge to Obama over his association with a former 1960s radical. McCain also claimed that American voters did not really know Obama and his "radical" views.

The tone at McCain's and running mate Sarah Palin's events during the past week had been turning toward the sour as disappointed supporters see his presidential campaign lag against Obama.

Angry Republicans had shouted "terrorist" and "off with his head" at the mention of Obama's connections to former Weather Underground member William Ayers, whose group bombed federal buildings in protest of the Vietnam War when Obama was a child. The two had worked together on community projects in Chicago, and Obama has denounced Ayers' violent past.

On Friday during a town hall-style meeting in Lakeville, Minnesota, a supporter told McCain that he feared what would happen if Obama were elected. McCain drew boos when he defended his rival as a "decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared of as president of the United States."

McCain returned to that note of civility on Saturday as his quandary became clearer: He needed to excite his party's base without inciting them, challenge Obama while being an honorable opponent, and find a game-changing strategy for his faltering campaign without crossing the line.

When an anti-war protester interrupted him, McCain nervously watched what the crowd would do. The protester was hoisted on shoulders and McCain's supporters chanted "We want John."

"As people are trying to stay in their homes, keep their jobs and afford health care, is what they want for us, to yell at each other?" he asked. "No. They want us to sit down together, Republican and Democrat, to work through this terrible time of crisis."

In a statement issued Saturday, Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia Democrat and veteran of the civil rights movement, charged that the negative tone of the Republican presidential campaign reminded him of the hateful atmosphere that segregationist Gov. George Wallace fostered in Alabama in the 1960s.

Lewis, who is black, accused McCain and Palin of "sowing the seeds of hatred and division, and there is no need for this hostility in our political discourse."

McCain on Saturday called Lewis' remarks "shocking and beyond the pale."
    Late Saturday, Lewis released another statement saying it was not his "intention or desire" to directly compare McCain or Palin to Wallace.

"My statement was a reminder to all Americans that toxic language can lead to destructive behavior," he said. "I am glad that Sen. McCain has taken some steps to correct divisive speech at his rallies. I believe we need to return to civil discourse in this election about the pressing economic issues that are affecting our nation."

The Republican vice presidential candidate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, also campaigned in Pennsylvania on Saturday. She attacked Obama on abortion at a rally in Johnstown, saying the Democratic candidate has "left behind even the middle ground on the issue of life."

Palin said she and McCain would be "defenders of the culture of life." She opposes abortion in all cases except where the pregnancy threatens the woman's life. McCain would also allow abortion in cases of rape or incest.

Palin said it was about time that Obama was "called" on his abortion views which she called "radical."

"Please, it is not negative and it's not mean-spirited to talk about his record," she said.

Obama favors abortion rights.

Defying tradition in Republican-leaning states, Obama said, he is leading McCain in Montana and North Carolina. His lead in Virginia, which Democrats last carried in 1964, is 6 or 7 percentage points, he told the donors.

Democrats have carried Pennsylvania in recent presidential elections, although sometimes narrowly. McCain has campaigned aggressively in the state, but polls show Obama leading.
    Clintons to Team Up on the Trail for Obama - FOXNews.com Elections
    It's about bloody well time.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

They've both been campaigning for a several weeks now. Fox seems to think they've just started which isn't the case.

SVZ

Scranton? Like the Office Scranton?

i dunno.. every time they "help" obama, they end up praising mccain and bitchbarbie
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Obama doesn't need the Clintons at this point, but Hils needs to show how supportive she is....

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Obama doesn't need the Clintons at this point, but Hils needs to show how supportive she is....

Amen, thanks to Palin's rhetoric this election is completely about Obama and Biden now, and the Clintons are irrevelant. It maybe that they sense this, and want to be part of something that will most definitely make history before it is all over with, lest they are left out of the photo ops. Not that I don't appreciate Clinton's legacy, but there is lots going on outside the Clintonverse.

I'll give the Clintons a little credit. They probably learned the hard way via the primaries that Obama doesn't need them for anything. Yet as arguably the most important living Democratic couple, it is their duty to offer to be helpful in whatever way the Obama campaign sees fit. For them to stump in places of the campaign's choosing is in line with what any campaign would opt for.

I don't think the Clintons are worried about being left out of photo ops. Hillary lost her bid for the White House, but these two have amassed plenty of power and personal wealth, and it's in their best interests to get a Democrat in office and turn around the destruction of the last eight years.

Also, I personally think that Bill Clinton and Al Gore did a great job of turning around the economy during their terms in office and that an Obama cabinet should look to that example.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Clintons FINALLY to start stumping for Obama.
    They've started some time ago already...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post

I don't think the Clintons are worried about being left out of photo ops. Hillary lost her bid for the White House, but these two have amassed plenty of power and personal wealth, and it's in their best interests to get a Democrat in office and turn around the destruction of the last eight years.

Also, I personally think that Bill Clinton and Al Gore did a great job of turning around the economy during their terms in office and that an Obama cabinet should look to that example.

On the second point, agreed, not to take away a thing from Clinton and Gore, and Gore would have been one of the best presidents this country has ever seen. But I think now that the Clintons realize that Obama is on the verge of history like never before thanks to the debacle that is Sarah Palin, they probably will be more and more present. And I would love to see H Clinton in Obama's cabinet, that would be wonderful.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

It's being played this way on all the news sites, that they're finally stepping up. I think it's because, up until now, they've been pretty low key in their support and when they have stumped for him they've basically talked about bloody Sarah Palin. And it's obvious Bill wants to bang her.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

[youtube]1coMJWkAVbU[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Pretty much. The Clintons have been pretty low-key up until recently. But I'm glad they haven't been too front and center because if they had been people would say that Obama owes his lead in the polls to them.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Pretty much. The Clintons have been pretty low-key up until recently. But I'm glad they haven't been too front and center because if they had been people would say that Obama owes his lead in the polls to them.
    Hillary Clinton has headlined more than 50 events for Obama and has raised $10 million for his campaign since suspending her own presidential effort in June.

I'd hardly call that low-key or unsupportive. But then again, the MSM would rather keep the so-called "feud" alive. It's just disappointing that Democrats fall for it every time.

The Dems are making a comeback

Than again, don't call it a comeback. We've been here for years

^^Thank you, sister! I have been driving near that damn whitehouse almost everyday for 8 years saying..."it won't be long now...it won't be long now"...

AND the best thing:

IT REALLY WON'T BE LONG NOW! And this city is going to PARTY! Once again, hope is alive and all will be well.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Thread Information