Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Troopergate hearing may "take hours"

Default Alaska Troopergate hearing may "take hours"

We probably won't hear anything substantial until after noon Alaska time (1 Pacific, 4 Eastern)
    Troopergate hearing getting underway (Updated with more pictures)

Posted by Alaska_Politics
    Posted: October 10, 2008 - 9:15 am

From David Hulen in Anchorage --
    The Legislative Council is gathering in Anchorage to receive its report from investigator Steve Branchflower. We're expecting the council to hear from Branchflower in a closed session, followed, at some point, with a decision whether to issue the report. We have several people there; Kyle Hopkins is making and sending pictures with his iPhone.
    Update 9:20 a.m.: Kyle reports they just closed the blinds on the window into meeting room and shut the door.
    Before they closed the door, Rep. Peggy Wilson asked if Sen. Kim Elton if he had enough time to digest the report.
    "I could have spent four days ..." he said.
    Before the meeting, we rode the elevator with Rep. David Guttenberg.
    'What's the headline?' Wes asked.
    'Page 97, appendix B' he said.
    Not sure if that was a joke or tip.
    Update: 10:45 a.m.: Sen. Lyda Green just stepped outside and asked if reporters if they realized the closed proceedings could take hours. She indicated they were just a little bit into the report.
    adn.com | Alaska Politics Blog : Troopergate hearing getting underway (Updated with more pictures)

Meeting underway

A group of Palin supporters has lined up outside the legislative offices chanting "Go Sarah Go!" One of the people who dressed as clown earlier, David Boyle, led a sing-a-long of what I think is the Alaska flag song. A man who recently asked me if I'd signed in at a Palin campaign press conference split the crowd into to groups, one chanting "Sarah," the other "Palin."

McCain-Palin supporters waved balloons and welcomed legislators to "the circus" as they walked to the meeting.

The Legislative Council prepares to meet.

Outside.

Looking into the meeting room.

The legislative office building downtown where the meeting is happening.

But, but, she did nothing wrong and has nothing to hide so why are people screaming "Stay strong Sarah" outside?

One of the people who dressed as clown earlier,

Was it Dubya or Mccain?

Sounds like we may not hear until the evening news.
    But two lawmakers who've stepped out of the meeting briefly say it could be hours.

Senate President Lyda Green, a Wasilla Republican, and Rep. Peggy Wilson of Wrangell said the session is moving slowly.

How slow? Wilson was asked.

"Slooowwww," she said.
    Legislators meet secretly on Troopergate: News | adn.com

Listening to Alaska radio right now. Former legislator says that he expects it to be a marathon session. That there is fire to this smoke. That they will take their time to digest the report before they vote.

I have got a funny feeling with the amount of enemies that Palin has made if the report isnt released it will somehow be released.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    I have got a funny feeling with the amount of enemies that Palin has made if the report isnt released it will somehow be released.
    The Alaska radio station I'm listening to currently says that there are legal implications for anyone releasing information from the report before it's officially released. Apparently, the investigator--Steven Branchflower--had the report under lock and key while working on it and after it was finished yesterday (Thursday). The legislators on the council who viewed it briefly yesterday had to view it yesterday without taking notes or copies AND with a guard watching them. So no info on it has been leaked yet. It is reported to be VERY large. Anchorage Daily News says it's 263 pages with about 1,000 pages of supporting documents.

I'm currently listening to Andrew Halcro on 650 KENI (Alaskan radio station). Halcro was the blogger who "broke" the story on why Monegan, the public safety commissioner, was fired. His show goes from 1 pm to 4 pm Alaskan Time (5 pm to 8 pm Eastern). (I'm listening online.)

It's beginning to sound like they're going to be in there all day until 5 pm (Alaska time).

11:50 a.m.: It may be a while. Green just stepped outside again and reports they're now on page 20 of the 200-plus page document. "Go home," she advised.
    Marathon session indeed.
    12 noon: Sen. Kim Elton, D-Juneau and the Legislative Council chairman, stepped out for a bathroom break and was asked how it was going inside. "I'm not going to characterize it," he said. "I'm tempted to, but I won't." None of the others coming and going from the room have had anything to say.
    Then Jeff Turner, an aide to the Senate majority, came out and said it would be at least another hour until any official word emerges from within.
    adn.com | Alaska Politics Blog : Troopergate hearing (Updates through the day)

It sounds like its a humdinger of a report- I really hope it gets released

The latest:
    1:35 p.m. Still nothing ... We haven't even seen the legislators pop out for another bathroom break.
    Reporters are sitting along the hallway & and filling a nearby conference room, eating sandwiches and staring at laptops. Palin spokesman Bill McAllister is talking to a BBC reporter, while local bloggers have returned expecting the closed-door meeting would have ended by now.
    A guy in a chair across from me, with a wireless microphone sitting on his chest, has fallen asleep.
    adn.com | Alaska Politics Blog : Troopergate hearing (Updates through the day)

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    It sounds like its a humdinger of a report- I really hope it gets released
    Sounds like there's 2 parts of the report. The main report, the 250+ page one, and the 1,000+ page one which features confidential employee files. The 1,000+ one will not be released due to personnel confidentiality. I'm hopeful that they'll release the 250+ one since all Alaskans will be wondering about it one way or another.

Yeah - because if they try to suppress this then there will be pressure for the report to be released especially since she keeps going on about being a reformer and being ethical!
    The BBC reporter is interesting- theres going to be a Panorama documentary on Monday night- Get this
    Its titled Obama and the Pitbull and the trailers hint its not all positive on Palin.

^Hope I can catch it online!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ^Hope I can catch it online!
    I am sure Youtube will have clips on it or one of the online tv links sites- it looked interesting and Paronama is a respected documentary series here

Still nothing.
    2:15 p.m.: Rep. Nancy Dahlstrom just told us to expect to wait another hour before we hear anything.
    adn.com | Alaska Politics Blog : Troopergate hearing (Updated: 2:15 p.m.)

3 p.m.: So here's something to consider while we wait for the Legislative Council to vote -- and yes, we're still waiting:
    The council needs eight votes to release the investigator's report. Three members of the 14-member council aren't here -- Rep. Ralph Samuels, Rep. John Harris and Rep. John Coghill.
    Unless they called in after the meeting started, that means they're automatic "no votes."
    So what's going on behind those doors? Do they have enough votes to make the report public?
    Sen. John Cowdery isn't here, but phoned in.
    Also: Someone is handing out granola bars to reporters. Everyone had a caffeine crash about an hour ago, but they opened a door to a soda machine and we all bought Diet Dr. Peppers.
    adn.com | Alaska Politics Blog : Troopergate hearing (Updated: 3:05 p.m.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information