Thread: Alaska Republicans lose bid to halt Troopergate from Alaska Supreme Court

Thumbs up Alaska Republicans lose bid to halt Troopergate from Alaska Supreme Court

Republicans lose bid to halt Troopergate
    October 09, 2008
    By Tony Hopfinger

The Alaska Supreme Court has denied an appeal by Alaska Republican lawmakers to suspend an investigation into Governor Sarah Palin's firing of the state’s top cop, paving the way for the release of the results tomorrow.

Around noon Thursday, the Supreme Court dismissed the case brought by state Republican lawmakers who wanted the probe halted, claiming it was unconstitutional and tainted by partisan politics.

The Alaska Legislative Council, a bipartisan committee of 14 lawmakers that conducts business when the Legislature isn't in session, voted unanimously on July 31 to launch a probe into Palin's July 11 firing of Alaska Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. The commissioner said he was dismissed for refusing to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, who was involved in a divorce and custody battle with Palin's sister. The governor has said she didn't pressure Monegan and dismissed him because of budgetary disagreements.

The Legislative Council’s independent investigator is due to deliver his findings tomorrow morning in Anchorage.

Todd Palin, the governor’s husband, gave a sworn written statement yesterday to the investigator. Palin claimed Wooten was a danger to the Palin family and public, including once making an alleged death threat toward the governor’s father.

Todd Palin acknowledged in his statement that he spoke to numerous state officials, including Monegan, about wanting Wooten fired. He said he didn't pressured Monegan to fire the trooper.

In a phone interview today, Monegan said Todd Palin’s statements confirm that he pressured him to terminate Wooten.

“Todd says (in his statement) that he’s been campaigning on that for years,” Monegan said. “I think he had a kind of obsession with it.”

Palin and the McCain campaign say the legislative probe is politically biased. She is cooperating with a separate investigation conducted by the state Personnel Board and has agreed to be questioned within two weeks as part of that inquiry. No deadline has been announced in that investigation.

Republicans lose bid to halt Troopergate
    Last edited by Fluffy; October 9th, 2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: clarified thread title

Oooh - I'm rubbing my hands together in gleeful anticipation of when this report drops.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Tomorrow!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Yes!!!!

I know her supporters will try to brush this aside but it will hurt her mantra of being a reformer and her attacks against Obama's character will be diminished and make her look hypocritical and stupid.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

If this little harpy doesn't have anything to hide there is no reason to try to stop the investigation, the report, the anything. Methinks McSame's little attack dog is about to have her leash pulled hard.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information