Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Sarah Palin unappealin' to Jon Stewart

  1. #1
    Elite Member mrs.v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    highway jammed with broken heroes
    Posts
    22,701

    Default Sarah Palin unappealin' to Jon Stewart

    Sarah Palin unappealin' to Jon Stewart

    Kambouris/WireImageJon Stewart


    If anyone had any doubts as to whom Jon Stewart supports for President, they were cleared Tuesday night at the Project ALS benefit at the Waldorf-Astoria.
    Host Ben Stiller called Stewart "America's young elder statesman of political comedy" and surmised that on his Comedy Central sendup of the news, Stewart "can't take sides."
    "Oh," said Stewart. "I think it's pretty clear.
    "Neither of them is perfect, but if you, out of nowhere, are going to grab a woman out of the woods and make her your vice presidential candidate, what can I do?
    "[Sarah Palin] is like Jodie Foster in the movie 'Nell,' " Stewart continued. "They just found her, and she was speaking her own special language.



    "Have you noticed how [Palin's] rallies have begun to take on the characteristics of the last days of the Weimar Republic? In Florida, she asked 'Who is Barack Obama?' Hey, lady, we just met YOU five f-ing weeks ago."
    Stewart had to skip the presidential debate to attend the gala, as had Chris Rock, Letterman producer Rob Burnett, songwriter Amos Lee, a fetching Sarah Silverman and her on-again love, Jimmy Kimmel, all at the behest of Stiller.

    The "Madagascar 2" star was childhood friends with Jenifer Estess, who founded Project ALS with her sisters; she died of the motor-neuron disease after being diagnosed at 35. The foundation has since raised $40 million for breakthrough stem-cell and gene research at Columbia and Harvard.


    Rock did note, "We're missing the debate right now. Probably McCain is asking Obama, 'Could you go get me my car?'"



    Silverman, who was just attacked by McCain supporter Jackie Mason after posting her YouTube video asking young Jewish liberals to "schlep" to Florida to convince their grandparents to vote for Obama, had her own zingers.
    "You know, this is a nonprofit," said Stiller, "so we should probably poke fun at Obama, too."
    The comics paused for awhile, until Stiller finally said, "I know! Barack Obama has big ears."



    Sarah Palin unappealin' to Jon Stewart
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

  2. #2
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,572

    Default

    So Palin's glitter is wearing off?

    Looks like her approval rating has sunk in Alaska by 25%.

    How can ANYONE defend this woman? Seriously.

  3. #3
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    So Palin's glitter is wearing off?

    Looks like her approval rating has sunk in Alaska by 25%.

    How can ANYONE defend this woman? Seriously.
    Conservatives will still defend Palin. They LOVE her. She's anti-abortion, pro-gun and a right-wing fundie.

  4. #4
    Elite Member Just Kill Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes
    Posts
    15,550

    Default

    I'm pro-gun; I challenge Palin to a duel.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

    Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

    Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

  5. #5
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,572

    Default

    ^^ Kick her ass, JKM

  6. #6
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    So Palin's glitter is wearing off?

    Looks like her approval rating has sunk in Alaska by 25%.

    How can ANYONE defend this woman? Seriously.
    not to be a defense of Palin...but just something I find interesting......

    the fact that her approval rating inside Alaska has gone down says more about the media coverage than Palin.

    She was named vp nominee about 6 weeks ago......how has her governing of alaska changed in 6 weeks? It hasn't.......but media coverage of her has.......there's the change......



    my two cents.....
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  7. #7
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    55,097

    Default

    Things that had been local scandals are suddenly receiving much wider coverage.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

  8. #8
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,483

    Default

    ^^ That doesn't really work with what I am saying...which is about her rating dropping inside her own state

    it's outside the state that these things were new stories, not inside.....these stories got plenty of press inside alaska before the past six weeks she since was vp nom....
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  9. #9
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    not to be a defense of Palin...but just something I find interesting......

    the fact that her approval rating inside Alaska has gone down says more about the media coverage than Palin.

    She was named vp nominee about 6 weeks ago......how has her governing of alaska changed in 6 weeks? It hasn't.......but media coverage of her has.......there's the change......



    my two cents.....
    Certainly she was interviewed in Alaska. Unless there came a time where she was shunning the MSM too.
    The lady who proudly stands and keeps smiling after hearing people in attendance at her rallies yell KILL HIM, TREASON, OFF WITH HIS HEAD.

    Yeah. She's amazing.

  10. #10
    Elite Member lurkur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    not to be a defense of Palin...but just something I find interesting......

    the fact that her approval rating inside Alaska has gone down says more about the media coverage than Palin.

    She was named vp nominee about 6 weeks ago......how has her governing of alaska changed in 6 weeks? It hasn't.......but media coverage of her has.......there's the change......



    my two cents.....
    It has also been widely reported that McCain staffers have essentially taken over the government offices in lieu of the Governor, and the citizens may be unhappy with that.

    I'm not sure how many people knew about Palin charging the state travel money to stay at home either. There are a lot of things that the very people of Alaska probably didn't even know about her. Now that most people do know these things she did in office, I can see why their opinion would go down, as well as the fact that she turned her office over to McCain staffers.

  11. #11
    Elite Member Shinola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Smokin' with your baby
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^^ That doesn't really work with what I am saying...which is about her rating dropping inside her own state

    it's outside the state that these things were new stories, not inside.....these stories got plenty of press inside alaska before the past six weeks she since was vp nom....
    Well, so far I've lived in two states that sent their governors to the presidency. I think normally, this can be a great PR moment for a state. The message is "We're so together here in State X that we had a strong enough leader to send to govern everyone in the U.S." I also would say that in the states I lived in, people pulled together and didn't dish as much dirt as you might think; the overall desire was to see the candidate from one's home state do well.

    But Palin is getting some bad publicity for Alaska. News stories about how many rapes there are, about how corrupt the government is, about gunning down wolves from helicopters, about Wasilla being a meth capital, and just Palin's general Alaska hick-schtick. If I lived there I'd be embarassed, because I'm sure she can't represent the best that Alaska has to offer. I might've been okay with how she governed, but not with the negative light she cast on my state nationwide.

    And one way that the governing of Alaska has changed in the last six weeks is that Palin isn't really governing there right now, although that is her job. Instead, she's running for VP. It's understandable, it's what happens, but some Alaskans may believe she is abandoning them to chase after her own interests. You could make this case about most any of the candidates, but that doesn't mean some people don't feel that way about Palin.

    And as others have pointed out, the investigation of Troopergate is much more scrutinized than it would have been if she weren't running for veep.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

  12. #12
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    But Palin is getting some bad publicity for Alaska. News stories about how many rapes there are, about how corrupt the government is, about gunning down wolves from helicopters, about Wasilla being a meth capital, and just Palin's general Alaska hick-schtick. If I lived there I'd be embarassed, because I'm sure she can't represent the best that Alaska has to offer. I might've been okay with how she governed, but not with the negative light she cast on my state nationwide.

    And as others have pointed out, the investigation of Troopergate is much more scrutinized than it would have been if she weren't running for veep.
    which exactly makes my point that Palin has not changed in the past six weeks , but the media's coverage of her has....
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  13. #13
    Elite Member lurkur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    which exactly makes my point that Palin has not changed in the past six weeks , but the media's coverage of her has....
    Yes, the national media has started to cover her. Many people who don't keep track of local or state politics would have heard things they otherwise didn't know about her because it was now reported in the national media.

    A lot more information is out there that Palin has put out herself, such as the abysmal Couric interviews. As far as media slants against Palin, which I believe you are implying, the rumors about Bristol's baby and whatnot got more run in the Alaskan press than it did in the national media. Unless you count the National Enquirer, and hopefully Alaskans don't base their opinions on that publication.

  14. #14
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    Keep in mind too that her daughter's pregnancy announcement came after her being named for VP. Her sudden refusal to cooperate with the ethics investigation came after her nomination too.

  15. #15
    Elite Member Shinola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Smokin' with your baby
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    which exactly makes my point that Palin has not changed in the past six weeks , but the media's coverage of her has....
    Sorry, but I don't think I'm making your point if you are trying to say that the media are slanted against Palin in some way. There was no national media coverage of Palin until six weeks ago. She is undoing her own self and doesn't really need anyone to do that for her.

    And no one was covering Alaska stuff nationally until her VP nomination. Alaska was under the radar, and Palin was under the radar.

    For example, media attention on the awful rape statistics in Alaska stems from Palin's apparent policy of making rape victims pay for their own rape kits. If Palin had been a leader who stood up and said not only that of course a woman who has been raped shouldn't be charged a thousand bucks to have a state-sponsored exam, but also that things needed to change in Alaska regarding rape and that rapists would not be tolerated and would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, then on the national stage I expect people would've thought that reflected well on her and, by extension, on Alaska.

    This all starts with her own (extraordinary) weaknesses as a candidate.

    But maybe I am misunderstanding the point you're trying to make? Are you really trying to say that Alaskans don't have a correct opinion of their own governor because the media have turned them against her, and that this drop in her approval has nothing to do with her own past actions in Alaska coming to light, as well as the lousy run she's having for national office promising that Alaska will be known as "the place that is foisting Sarah Palin on us"?
    Last edited by Shinola; October 9th, 2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Typos
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 8th, 2008, 12:38 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: September 26th, 2008, 03:51 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
  4. Why the Bristol Palin/Sarah Palin pregnancy controversy is relevant
    By rebelpleb in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
  5. Sarah Michelle Gellar - Stewart Shining Photoshoot
    By Blondedoll in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •