Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember that Army Brigade on US soil for "crowd control"? It gets creepier.

Question Remember that Army Brigade on US soil for "crowd control"? It gets creepier.

Background: the First Brigade of the Third Infantry Division, three to four thousand soldiers, has been deployed in the United States as of October 1. Their stated mission is the form of crowd control they practiced in Iraq, subduing "unruly individuals," and the management of a national emergency. I am in Seattle and heard from the brother of one of the soldiers that they are engaged in exercises now. Amy Goodman reported that an Army spokesperson confirmed that they will have access to lethal and non lethal crowd control technologies and tanks.

George Bush struck down Posse Comitatus, thus making it legal for military to patrol the U.S. He has also legally established that in the "War on Terror," the U.S. is at war around the globe and thus the whole world is a battlefield. Thus the U.S. is also a battlefield.

He also led change to the 1807 Insurrection Act to give him far broader powers in the event of a loosely defined "insurrection" or many other "conditions" he has the power to identify. The Constitution allows the suspension of habeas corpus -- habeas corpus prevents us from being seized by the state and held without trial -- in the event of an "insurrection." With his own army force now, his power to call a group of protesters or angry voters "insurgents" staging an "insurrection" is strengthened.

U.S. Rep. Brad Sherman of California said to Congress, captured on C-Span and viewable on YouTube, that individual members of the House were threatened with martial law within a week if they did not pass the bailout bill:

"The only way they can pass this bill is by creating and sustaining a panic atmosphere. Many of us were told in private conversations that if we voted against this bill on Monday that the sky would fall, the market would drop two or three thousand points the first day and a couple of thousand on the second day, and a few members were even told that there would be martial law in America if we voted no."

If this is true and Rep. Sherman is not delusional, I ask you to consider that if they are willing to threaten martial law now, it is foolish to assume they will never use that threat again. It is also foolish to trust in an orderly election process to resolve this threat. And why deploy the First Brigade? One thing the deployment accomplishes is to put teeth into such a threat.

I interviewed Vietnam veteran, retired U.S. Air Force Colonel and patriot David Antoon for clarification:

"If the President directed the First Brigade to arrest Congress, what could stop him?"

"Nothing. Their only recourse is to cut off funding. The Congress would be at the mercy of military leaders to go to them and ask them not to obey illegal orders."

"But these orders are now legal?'"

"Correct."

"If the President directs the First Brigade to arrest a bunch of voters, what would stop him?"

"Nothing. It would end up in courts but the action would have been taken."

"If the President directs the First Brigade to kill civilians, what would stop him?"

"Nothing."

"What would prevent him from sending the First Brigade to arrest the editor of the Washington Post?"

"Nothing. He could do what he did in Iraq -- send a tank down a street in Washington and fire a shell into the Washington Post as they did into Al Jazeera, and claim they were firing at something else."

"What happens to members of the First Brigade who refuse to take up arms against U.S. citizens?"

"They'd probably be treated as deserters as in Iraq: arrested, detained and facing five years in prison. In Iraq a study by Ann Wright shows that deserters -- reservists who refused to go back to Iraq -- got longer sentences than war criminals."

"Does Congress have any military of their own?"

"No. Congress has no direct control of any military units. The Governors have the National Guard but they report to the President in an emergency that he declares."

"Who can arrest the President?"

"The Attorney General can arrest the President after he leaves or after impeachment."

[Note: Prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi has asserted it is possible for District Attorneys around the country to charge President Bush with murder if they represent districts where one or more military members who have been killed in Iraq formerly resided.]

"Given the danger do you advocate impeachment?"

"Yes. President Bush struck down Posse Comitatus -- which has prevented, with a penalty of two years in prison, U.S. leaders since after the Civil War from sending military forces into our streets -- with a 'signing statement.' He should be impeached immediately in a bipartisan process to prevent the use of military forces and mercenary forces against U.S. citizens"

"Should Americans call on senior leaders in the Military to break publicly with this action and call on their own men and women to disobey these orders?"

"Every senior military officer's loyalty should ultimately be to the Constitution. Every officer should publicly break with any illegal order, even from the President."

"But if these are now legal. If they say, 'Don't obey the Commander in Chief,' what happens to the military?"

"Perhaps they would be arrested and prosecuted as those who refuse to participate in the current illegal war. That's what would be considered a coup."

"But it's a coup already."

"Yes."

Thousands of Troops Are Deployed on U.S. Streets Ready to Carry Out "Crowd Control" | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet

yeaahhhhh...

*tinfoil hat*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think with the stock markets crashing- I wouldnt be surprised to see if they can to try get away with doing this kind of shit. And I'm not a tinfoil hat wearer

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I don't see this happening but only because he doesn't have the backing of anyone or time left in office. In 2004 I could have seen this.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I can see it. The hubby and I have been volunteering for Obama and we're not tinfoil hat types, and suddenly his employer, the federal government, decides to do a security clearance investigation on him. There's just one problem, he handles nothing that requires a clearance.

so how did they explain it?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

So this is the real reason why they want to take our guns.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    so how did they explain it?
    The scary thing is that they explained it by saying, 'you need a clearance for your job' which involves no classified material. Yesterday they talked to my next door neighbor, the day before the neighbors on the other side. Asked questions about if he was an alcoholic or if we had money troubles. What does that have to do with a security clearance for a job with no classified material? I don't quite know what to think except that he does write/email our Republican Congressional office all the time protesting their stance on various things.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    The scary thing is that they explained it by saying, 'you need a clearance for your job' which involves no classified material. Yesterday they talked to my next door neighbor, the day before the neighbors on the other side. Asked questions about if he was an alcoholic or if we had money troubles. What does that have to do with a security clearance for a job with no classified material? I don't quite know what to think except that he does write/email our Republican Congressional office all the time protesting their stance on various things.
    There are a lot of jobs within the federal gov't where you have to have a clearance check even if you're not handling 'classified' or 'top secret' information. For example, all those who work on the CPI at the Bureau of Labor Statistics have to get a clearance check even though their jobs are to release information to the public every month.

I can see it. The hubby and I have been volunteering for Obama and we're not tinfoil hat types, and suddenly his employer, the federal government, decides to do a security clearance investigation on him. There's just one problem, he handles nothing that requires a clearance.
    Isn't working for a political campaign a violation of the Hatch Act for federal employees? Or is the hubby a contractor for the federal government?

Rules of the Hatch Act (enacted in 1939) from Wikipedia:
    Below are the primary guidelines that active Federal employees need to follow when working or volunteering on a political campaign for federal office. This list is not all-inclusive, and questions regarding the legality of the application of any event or policy should be properly researched or investigated beforehand. This list does not encompass all that is or is not allowed per the regulation.
    Active Federal employees may:
    • Be a candidate in a non-partisan political election (that is, an election where the candidate is not running as a member of a political party; examples include city council and school board elections)
    • Register and vote as they choose
    • Assist in Voter Registration Drives
    • Express opinions about candidates and issues
    • Attend fundraisers and contribute money to political organizations and campaigns
    • Volunteer on a campaign
    • Recruit volunteers for a political campaign
    • Participate in activities such as phone banking and precinct walking
    • Display bumper stickers, lawn signs, and other campaign paraphernalia
    • Raise money for their union's political action committee from other union members
    • Volunteer, run for, and hold an office in a local or state political party
    Active Federal employees may not:
    • Be a candidate in a political election in which any candidate represents a political party
    • Raise money for a partisan political campaign
    • Allow their names to be used in any fundraising appeal on behalf of a partisan political campaign
    • Participate in a phone bank that is engaged in fundraising for a partisan campaign
    • Raise money for their union's political action committee from persons other than their fellow union members

Elite Member

I know it's silly but every time I see this I wonder if the election is fixed and they are preparing for an inevitable backlash of angry citizens.
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

A*O

Not silly at all fatguy, the GOP has fixed elections before as Al Gore discovered. I think there's going to be some very "strange events" in the coming weeks.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    There are a lot of jobs within the federal gov't where you have to have a clearance check even if you're not handling 'classified' or 'top secret' information. For example, all those who work on the CPI at the Bureau of Labor Statistics have to get a clearance check even though their jobs are to release information to the public every month.
    Fluffy, he's been in his position without a security clearance for over fifteen years. When he was in the military he held a top secret clearance. We've both been asked questions before when people we knew were getting their security clearances updated and the questions being asked were very different than the ones our friends were asked this go around. I'm very suspicious.

Fluffy, he's been in his position without a security clearance for over fifteen years. When he was in the military he held a top secret clearance. We've both been asked questions before when people we knew were getting their security clearances updated and the questions being asked were very different than the ones our friends were asked this go around. I'm very suspicious.
    Did they drop the ball and forget to do the security clearance years ago? Something like that happened to a coworker at my agency:

Apparently, the guy who was originally assigned to do my coworker's clearance was lazy, never completed it, then retired. His file must've been lost in the mess of his retirement. Years later, we find out his was never done. Granted, it was only for a "confidential" clearance [bottom rung security clearance], but it had to be done. So our division had to pay again for it to get done.

Given that the agency/division/office has to allocate money for a security clearance to be done, I can't imagine one being done just for the heck of it, especially since so many agencies' budgets are tight.

Or do you think someone is posing as investigators and asking the neighbors questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Yeah, it's such a fine line sometimes, that I can't remember the details. I just steer clear completely to be on the safe side.

For instance, you CAN
    Participate in activities such as phone banking and precinct walking
    but you CAN'T
    Participate in a phone bank that is engaged in fundraising for a partisan campaign
    They sent out an email at my work sometime this past year (yes, I'm a federal employee) warning about posting things on Facebook profiles for political candidates. I can't remember the reasoning (I'd have to check at work to be sure), but I believe it had something to do with the fact that sometimes those Facebook groups link to websites for contributions or the group pages themselves are places to make donations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information