Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYTimes calls out John McCain's race-baiting for the White House

Default NYTimes calls out John McCain's race-baiting for the White House

October 8, 2008
    Editorial
    Politics of Attack

It is a sorry fact of American political life that campaigns get ugly, often in their final weeks. But Senator John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin have been running one of the most appalling campaigns we can remember.
    They have gone far beyond the usual fare of quotes taken out of context and distortions of an opponent’s record — into the dark territory of race-baiting and xenophobia. Senator Barack Obama has taken some cheap shots at Mr. McCain, but there is no comparison.
    Despite the occasional slip (referring to Mr. Obama’s “cronies” and calling him “that one”), Mr. McCain tried to take a higher road in Tuesday night’s presidential debate. It was hard to keep track of the number of times he referred to his audience as “my friends.” But apart from promising to buy up troubled mortgages as president, he offered no real answers for how he plans to solve the country’s deep economic crisis. He is unable or unwilling to admit that the Republican assault on regulation was to blame.
    Ninety minutes of forced cordiality did not erase the dismal ugliness of his campaign in recent weeks, nor did it leave us with much hope that he would not just return to the same dismal ugliness on Wednesday.
    Ms. Palin, in particular, revels in the attack. Her campaign rallies have become spectacles of anger and insult. “This is not a man who sees America as you see it and how I see America,” Ms. Palin has taken to saying.
    That line follows passages in Ms. Palin’s new stump speech in which she twists Mr. Obama’s ill-advised but fleeting and long-past association with William Ayers, founder of the Weather Underground and confessed bomber. By the time she’s done, she implies that Mr. Obama is right now a close friend of Mr. Ayers — and sympathetic to the violent overthrow of the government. The Democrat, she says, “sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect that he’s palling around with terrorists who would target their own country.”
    Her demagoguery has elicited some frightening, intolerable responses. A recent Washington Post report said at a rally in Florida this week a man yelled “kill him!” as Ms. Palin delivered that line and others shouted epithets at an African-American member of a TV crew.
    Mr. McCain’s aides haven’t even tried to hide their cynical tactics, saying they were “going negative” in hopes of shifting attention away from the financial crisis — and by implication Mr. McCain’s stumbling response.
    We certainly expected better from Mr. McCain, who once showed withering contempt for win-at-any-cost politics. He was driven out of the 2000 Republican primaries by this sort of smear, orchestrated by some of the same people who are now running his campaign.
    And the tactic of guilt by association is perplexing, since Mr. McCain has his own list of political associates he would rather forget. We were disappointed to see the Obama campaign air an ad (held for just this occasion) reminding voters of Mr. McCain’s involvement in the Keating Five savings-and-loan debacle, for which he was reprimanded by the Senate. That episode at least bears on Mr. McCain’s claims to be the morally pure candidate and his argument that he alone is capable of doing away with greed, fraud and abuse.
    In a way, we should not be surprised that Mr. McCain has stooped so low, since the debate showed once again that he has little else to talk about. He long ago abandoned his signature issues of immigration reform and global warming; his talk of “victory” in Iraq has little to offer a war-weary nation; and his Reagan-inspired ideology of starving government and shredding regulation lies in tatters on Wall Street.
    But surely, Mr. McCain and his team can come up with a better answer to that problem than inciting more division, anger and hatred.
    Doubt it.

I didn't like how McCain told the young black "town hall" audience member that he probably had never heard of Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac before. Why the fuck would you assume that about someone who is at a political debate? I bet one of McCain's rules was that the audience couldn't have any "gooks" either. He'll invoke ANYTHING to win!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have to say that bugged me too. Most people have heard of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, at least those old enough to be at a town hall meeting about politics. I wish Obama's team would start in on some obvious negatives.

Well, at least the MSM are finally starting to report on the tactics that McCain and Palin are using.

I guess Palin won't be referencing this article in her speeches anytime soon.

You know what... McCain isn't just being sleazy, he's being dangerous. Honestly, Palin is down on a tour of racist country and they trot her out as Ms. America Beauty Queen saying BLACK HUSSEIN OBAMA is a TERRORIST!!

It takes only one lonely hick with a shiny gun collection who thinks he might win Palin's heart if he protects the white lady from the bla--protects America from the terrorists.

It's like they're trying to stir up assassins!

I hope this means McCain will get called on it in interviews and his surrogates too. They need to answer for themselves. Palin won't because she won't be interviewed.

Watching a Palin speech now. There is some bleach-blond (McOffspring?) with no color in her face except the 2 inches of makeup right behind her. Mrs. McCain, meanwhile, is dressed like Hitler.

ETA: McCain started speaking afterward. He mentioned last night's debate, and someone in the audience yelled "DOMINATION!" McCain asked the crowd how he did, and smiles like an idiot.

It's getting scarier and scarier.
    Last edited by lurkur; October 8th, 2008 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    You know what... McCain isn't just being sleazy, he's being dangerous. Honestly, Palin is down on a tour of racist country and they trot her out as Ms. America Beauty Queen saying BLACK HUSSEIN OBAMA is a TERRORIST!!

It takes only one lonely hick with a shiny gun collection who thinks he might win Palin's heart if he protects the white lady from the bla--protects America from the terrorists.

It's like they're trying to stir up assassins
    !
    Exactly. It's the lowest of the lowest. If anything is unpatriotic, this is it.
    Palin is nothing but a rabid pitbull.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

It's come to race baiting and I lay it all at the feet of McSame. I hope he knows, somewhere deep down, that he can never again call himself a man of character. Palin? She'll be in a white robe before long.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

..and here come the nuts.

"Keep The N*gger Out Of Office"

Cops: Man threatened voter officials over tardy registration card

OCTOBER 8--Angered by a delay in the receipt of his voter registration card, a Louisiana man today threatened election officials, claiming that he urgently needed to cast a ballot to "keepthe nigger out of office," according to police. Wade Williams, 75, was arrested this morning on a felony terrorizing charge after allegedly callingthe Registrar of Voters and warning that he would come to the state office and empty his shotgun unless he got his registration card. Using profanity and racial slurs, Williams told a state official "about needing to vote to 'keepthe nigger out of office," according to an Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office affidavit, a copy of which you'll find here. Though the document does not name the candidate to which Williams is so violently opposed, it seems likely he was referring to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama. After being arrested at his Monroe home, Williams was booked intothe Ouachita Correctional Center, where the below mug shot was snapped. En route to the jail, he "continued his 'tirade' about niggers and also stated that he had a shotgun, but had it hidden at his residence," reported Lt. Michael Judd.

"Keep The N*gger Out Of Office" - October 8, 2008
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Piece of shit.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

This--Monroe, Louisiana--is not far from where I grew up. Jeebus.

I agree that this race-baiting behavior from McPalin is totally irresponsible and dangerous. Where do they get off?

And what is wrong with my friggin' country?
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

^And still there are people who insist race is no longer an issue in the USA
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

^It's one of the reasons the South went Republican after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964. The South used to be solidly Democratic. Now it's solidly Republican.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Watching a Palin speech now. There is some bleach-blond (McOffspring?) with no color in her face except the 2 inches of makeup right behind her. Mrs. McCain, meanwhile, is dressed like Hitler.

ETA: McCain started speaking afterward. He mentioned last night's debate, and someone in the audience yelled "DOMINATION!" McCain asked the crowd how he did, and smiles like an idiot.

It's getting scarier and scarier.
    I saw that rally, too. It is indeed scary the tactics they are resorting to, especially considering the extreme natures of some of the morons in their audience.
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information