Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Presidential debate 07Oct08 9pm EST

Default 2nd Presidential debate 07Oct08 9pm EST

Anyone attempting to stomach the lies tonight??

Chris Matthews was talking to the crowd outside the debate, specifically looking for a McCain supporter among the crowd. He finally found one person holding a McCain sign, and when he asked her what she wanted to hear from McCain, thought for a second, kept her eyes pointed downward, and said she wanted to "hear McCain say he is going to win for our country, and get our soldiers back into our country, and that he's a strong Christian that is going to do the right thing."

Paid sign holder or just a misinformed idiot??

Great Expectations As Candidates Debate Again : NPR
    Election 2008
    Great Expectations As Candidates Debate Again

by Corey Flintoff

Emmanuel Dunand
    Republican presidential nominee John McCain and Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama shake hands on stage after the first debate of the 2008 election season, Sept. 26, 2008, at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Miss. AFP/Getty Images

Political Junkie

In Depth

Comments from the NPR Community

I'm sure, though both will go out of their way to blame the other for this financial mess, and not offer too much in terms of solutions.
    –Karl Englebright (KarlE)

Join the Discussion

NPR.org, October 7, 2008 Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama go into their second presidential debate Tuesday night with a lot to live up to.
    They need to reclaim the spotlight from their vice presidential running mates and sharpen the distinctions between them. And they'll have to do it in a format that will require different debating skills.
    In their first debate, the two men at the top of the Republican and Democratic tickets drew more than 50 million viewers. But that audience paled in comparison to the more than 70 million people who tuned in to watch the face-off between their running mates, Democratic Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware and Republican Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska. While those numbers were driven in part by curiosity about how Palin would perform, they drew attention from the main players and their policies.
    In the earlier matchup, McCain sought to portray Obama as untested and inexperienced. Obama tried to show McCain as a follower of President Bush who would simply continue the same policies. Although the debate was billed as a discussion of foreign policy and national security — generally considered to be McCain's strong points — those issues were inevitably overshadowed by the financial crisis, a topic where national polls show Obama has an advantage.
    Emphasis On The Economy
    Unlike the first debate, in which the candidates — despite the urging of moderator Jim Lehrer — seemed to address the cameras more than they did each other, Tuesday night's debate will follow a town-hall format.
    Lehrer held tight control of the format, asking the questions and giving each candidate two minutes to answer, followed by a five-minute discussion. The candidates rarely engaged each other. Critics faulted McCain for seeming to ignore his rival's presence altogether at times. Others chastised Obama for seeming too deferential, prefacing several answers by saying that his rival was "absolutely right."
    It wasn't exactly high praise, because the Democrat qualified each of those compliments by suggesting that McCain was wrong on the larger issues. But in hindsight, it gave the McCain camp fodder for a campaign ad that made it seem as though Obama had conceded on subject after subject.
    By contrast, in Tuesday night's debate at Belmont University in Nashville, the candidates will answer questions posed by members of the audience or sent via the Internet. For that reason, it's likely to focus even more intensely on voters' economic concerns.
    Look for the candidates to spar over what measures they would take to support Main Street after the Wall Street bailout. They'll probably also have to address government spending in the face of an ever-yawning deficit.
    McCain said in the last debate that he would consider freezing spending for everything but defense, veterans' affairs and entitlement programs. Obama said he believes the economy will need more spending on infrastructure, and that programs such as earlier childhood education are currently underfunded.
    Regardless of the questions asked, both candidates will likely bring up their tax plans. Obama likes to link McCain's tax-cut plan to the Bush administration's tax breaks for wealthier Americans. Obama says his plan closes tax loopholes for big corporations but reduces taxes for the 95 percent of Americans who make less than $250,000 per year. McCain says his proposals will create jobs, but his way of doing that involves cutting corporate income taxes, which would mainly benefit better-off people who own stocks.
    Faster-Paced Exchange?
    As moderator, NBC newsman Tom Brokaw will give each candidate two minutes to respond to each question, followed by a minute for further discussion.
    The format may not allow the same in-depth answers as in the first debate, but it could make for a wider-ranging discussion. The vice presidential debate was praised for being fast moving, with Palin and Biden responding under similar time constraints.
    McCain favors the more casual town-hall format, where he tends to perform better than in his stump speeches. His campaign called on Obama to hold 10 joint town-hall meetings over the summer, but Obama declined, saying three debates would be enough.
    The audience for Tuesday night's debate will include 80 to 120 voters from the Nashville area, identified as "undecided" by surveyors from the Gallup Organization.
    Changed Electoral Map
    In the less than two weeks since McCain and Obama had their first debate, the electoral map has shifted, largely in Obama's favor. On Thursday, just before the vice presidential debate, McCain's campaign decided to cut potential losses in Michigan, dropping TV ads and moving staff to more competitive states.
    The economic crisis has strengthened Obama in some battleground states, including Colorado, Missouri and Florida — states that George W. Bush won in 2004. The latest Fox News/Rasmussen Reports poll shows Obama holding on to a narrow lead in Virginia, and McCain staying slightly ahead in Ohio.
    Some McCain staffers who were pulled off the effort in Michigan may be sent to shore up the campaign's efforts in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and New Hampshire.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Anyone attempting to stomach the lies tonight??
    I'll be watching. I want to see how McCain handles himself. I hope he loses it.

I predict that McCain will not drop dead during the debate, and therefore will automatically be declared "winner".

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    I'll be watching. I want to see how McCain handles himself. I hope he loses it.
    Me too!

LMAO yeah I saw that one lone McCain poster in the crowd in the news this morning.

Elite Member

The question is, will McCain waste his 2 minutes telling old war stories like he did during the first debate or will he answer the fucking questions?

Here we go.

I'm on!!!

Ditto

9:02 PM You just heard Brokaw say people at home shouldn't be constrained...so don't be.

9:00PM Rob says he heard Obama is going first.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Drinking every time McCain says terrorist, maverick, and reform!!

Um where's the coloreds????
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

^^Got it SSDiva!! I'm with you!

McCain is a scary dude.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

cant get to a tv. did McCain ask Obama if he could call him Barrack? *rushes to tv*
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

lol,McCain,back away...
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information