Thread: Shades of 2000: Florida law may disenfranchise new voters

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Shades of 2000: Florida law may disenfranchise new voters

(CBS) It's crunch time for volunteers looking to register new voters. In Florida, Democrats and Republicans alike have registered more than 130,000 new voters in the last month alone, leaving election workers scrambling to get them all on the rolls by Election Day.

But as CBS News correspondent Kelly Cobiella reports, the state's stringent fraud prevention laws may keep some of those newly registered voters - and many others - from casting their ballots.

"This is just outrageous how many people are really into this election," says volunteer Aleisha Hodo.

The sheer volume of new voter registration applications, along with the state's so-called "no match, no vote law" has election observers worried that one mistyped number could disqualify a ballot.

"We have done the math and we have begun to look at how many people are not matched, not voting already, and it could be in the tens-of-thousands in the state of Florida," said Dierdre McNabb of The League of Women Voters.

For the first time, Florida law requires a voter's driver's license or social security number to match a state or federal database. It's done to prevent fraud. Several other swing states have similar laws, but none as strict as Florida's. Wisconsin dropped its own no match rule when a test run showed one in four voters would have been eliminated because of typos and other minor problems.

"Already we've seen that over 5,000 people, as of this last Monday, have had their voter registration applications rejected," says Tova Wang of Common Cause. "The county administrators admit that it's because of mistakes like typos and variations on people's names."

Take for example Tameka Collins. When she applied for an absentee ballot, the elections office sent her a letter saying her signature didn't match. She had to re-register last month, after being a regular voter for years.

"Now I feel like I have to go and vote in person, just to make sure it counts" Collins said.

Local election officials say they're trying to clear up the problems before Nov. 4.

"Our objective is to reach the voter as quickly as possible to resolve the issue," says Deborah Clark.
    Florida Law May Disenfranchise New Voters, Strict Rules Aimed At Preventing Fraud May Keep Recently Registered Voters From Casting Ballots - CBS News

Who wants to bet the lawyers are revving up their engines even as we speak.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

If Florida pulls the same shit they did in 2000, then they need to be banned from voting in any elections. (I know that can't happen, but wishful thinking)

I like the Canadian process where you just have to show some ID that proves who you are and where you live.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    If Florida pulls the same shit they did in 2000, then they need to be banned from voting in any elections. (I know that can't happen, but wishful thinking)
    Where's that Bugs Bunny gif lol

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I like the Canadian process where you just have to show some ID that proves who you are and where you live.
    In NY they don't even ask for ID.

I go to my poll site, go in, tell them my name and sign under my signature from the last election....top notch security
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post

Seriously, what the fuck is up with Florida?
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I lived there two years, and I vow to never ever return there to live. Ever.

Great place to visit, but live there again? Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Seriously, what the fuck is up with Florida?
    It's America's wang as Homer Simpson said.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

I go to my poll site, go in, tell them my name and sign under my signature from the last election....top notch security
    No wonder some areas have problems with elections.
    Since I don't have a driver's license, to vote I'd need something like my birth certificate plus an additional piece of ID that has my address on it (bank statements, bills, gov issued items, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I wish I were Canadianz.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

What part of NY are you from???????????????/

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    Bugs needs to sharpen his saw for Florida.

Thread Information