Thread: John McCain's brother calls North Virginia 'communist country'

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default John McCain's brother calls North Virginia 'communist country'

Republican presidential candidate John McCain's brother made an apparent joke at a campaign rally this weekend that might not play well in parts of newly competitive Virginia.

Joe McCain, speaking at an event in support of his brother, called two Democratic-leaning areas in Northern Virginia "communist country," according to a report on The Washington Post's Web site.

"I've lived here for at least 10 years and before that, about every third duty I was in either Arlington or Alexandria, up in communist country," Joe McCain, a Navy veteran, said about his military postings. He spoke at an event in Loudon County, Va.

Joe McCain then apologized, but the remark drew laughter at the event, according to the report.

Virginia has long been a Republican stronghold in presidential elections, but Democrat Barack Obama is running even or ahead of McCain in recent state polls. Obama is being helped by fast-growing communities in the Washington, D.C., suburbs of Northern Virginia, which tend to vote more Democratic than other parts of the state.

One of those areas is Arlington, Va., where John McCain owns a condominium.

"This was Joe McCain's unsuccessful attempt at humor," said McCain campaign spokeswoman Gail Gitcho. "John McCain and Sarah Palin are committed to winning the support of voters in Northern Virginia and understand the region's importance to victory statewide."
    McCain Brother Calls Northern Virginia 'Communist Country' - FOXNews.com Elections
    I recommend clicking on the link and reading some of the comments. It's a Faux News story so prepare yourself.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I live in Northern Virgina, and I am PROUD to be in communist country. And us "communist" here in NOVA support the rest of the low-life bible thumping inbred losers in the rest of the state (with the exception of any beloved gossiprockers who happen to live in Southern Virginia, of course).

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    I live in Northern Virgina, and I am PROUD to be in communist country. And us "communist" here in NOVA support the rest of the low-life bible thumping inbred losers in the rest of the state (with the exception of any beloved gossiprockers who happen to live in Southern Virginia, of course).
    Here, here! Same here! But I live in the ritzy horse country just mere minutes west of the communities mentioned in that disgusting article. Here in NOVA we carry the tax burden for those toothless rednecks in the other part of the state so that they have their Medicaide and SSI and the like. We have the largest technology area in the US outside of Silicon Valley and a standard of living higher than much of the US, so how exactly does that make us commies? Because we think for ourselves?

No offense to any GR's living in places over than NOVA in Virginny.

NoVA is the shit! Mccain better watch what he and his minders say very very carefully.

I guess the 'communist countries' joke is to remind people, once again, that McCain was a POW.

Given that Loudoun County has almost become another Metro-DC bedroom community, that probably wasn't the smartest thing to say. I bet there are now a bunch of angry Loudon County residents at that comment, too.

And yet John McCain has a condo in Arlington according to the Washington Post. His neighbors must love him!

they probably complain about old man smell mixed with vicodin
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Another erratic McCain.

Thread Information