Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin says debate went well as polls favor Joe Biden

Default Sarah Palin says debate went well as polls favor Joe Biden

Palin says debate went well as polls favor Biden
    Associated Press
    Republicans John McCain and Sarah Palin on Friday played up her debate performance as polls showed voters judging her Democratic rival, Joe Biden, to be the winner of the only vice presidential face-off of the campaign.
    "It was a lot of fun. It was a great opportunity to get to speak directly to Americans," Palin said in an interview with Fox News. McCain told supporters at a town-hall meeting in Pueblo, Colo.: "You know, I almost felt a little sorry last night for my old friend Joe Biden. She did a magnificent job." The GOP's presidential nominee drew cheers when he declared, "Viva la Barracuda!"
    Two quick polls indicated that Biden fared better in the debate. A CBS News/Knowledge Networks Poll found that 46 percent of uncommitted voters who watched the debate thought Biden won, with 21 percent siding with Palin. A CNN poll found respondents judging Biden the winner by a margin of 51 percent to 36 percent but calling Palin more likable by 54 percent to Biden's 36 percent.
    In the 90-minute forum broadcast Thursday night from Washington University in St. Louis, Palin was under intense pressure to show basic competence on issues facing the next president after a series of embarrassing television interviews called into question her readiness for high office. For the most part she appeared confident and folksy, but she also sidestepped certain questions, pivoting at times to talking points and generalities.
    In the debate, Palin tried to portray Biden and Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama as obsessed with the failures of President Bush even as she acknowledged his administration was responsible for "huge blunders" in the war and elsewhere.
    Biden largely avoided direct challenges to Palin and instead worked to undermine McCain, who has sought throughout the campaign to distance himself from an unpopular president. The Delaware senator repeatedly noted that McCain had sided with Bush on crucial issues, from launching the war in Iraq to tax policies that widened the income disparity between rich and poor.
    "He's been a maverick on some issues, but he has been no maverick on the things that matter to people's lives," Biden said.
    On other topics:
    _Palin criticized the Democratic ticket for opposing offshore oil drilling. Biden chided McCain for voting against proposals to expand the development of alternative energy sources.
    _Palin restated her controversial view that climate change is largely due to cyclical changes in the earth's atmosphere and not primarily caused by human behavior. Biden disagreed, saying climate change was caused by man.
    _Biden reaffirmed his position that it was "patriotic" for people who earn more than $250,000 to pay additional taxes. Obama's tax plan would cut taxes for about 90 percent of Americans, Biden said. Palin called his position a "redistribution of wealth principle," but Biden shot back that fairness was the issue.
    _Both said they supported partnership rights for gays and lesbians but opposed same-sex marriage.
    _Palin argued that the Democrats' plan for the war in Iraq "is a white flag of surrender." Biden defended Obama's vote in May 2007 not to fund military operations there unless a timeline was set for withdrawal, even though he sharply criticized the Illinois senator's vote at the time.
    Palin says debate went well as polls favor Biden
    McCain's just happy that he didn't have to do damage control for Miss Mooseballs. And, strangely, he didn't call himself a 'maverick.'

YOU DIDN'T WIN, so shut up
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Poor Biden. all he was really allowed to do was state his opinions. If he went after Palin he would come off as a bastard. So it was sexist I think, sexist in favor of Palin. This was not a "chance to talk to the American people" This was supposed to be a chance for the American people to see how these candidates stood on the issues. we did not hear anything more than the soundbites we've been hearing. The bar was very low so of course she got over it. She may have been more appealing, (I sure don't think so, it was all fake to me), but I want a V.P. who can take over if something happens. She does not pull off cute. She makes me want to puke.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Hi! I'm New Here!

It appears that she is appealing to Joe and Mary Six Pack. This proves how shallow the american public is. The fact is that Obama's tax proposal favors Joe and Mary doesn't seem to matter. They oooh and ahhhh that Pallin appears to be one of them. It's all smoke and mirrors. She is dangerous, without a brain and appealing to the masses.
    Another topic. I am really offended that she drags that poor infant out like some lucky charm. It is way past that baby's bed time. What a self serving selfish act.

You know I never see her interact with that baby. Not smile at him, or a cuddle, just holds him like a sack of laundry. Special needs babies need a lot of interaction, it helps them.

like she cares

it's not hers anyway
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well, it is her grandchild after all.

Yeah well I still want to grab her by the highlights and SHAKE the stupid out of her vapid little head.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Yeah well I still want to grab her by the highlights and SHAKE the stupid out of her vapid little head.
    Every time she pulled that little girly voice, snarkly smile and dumb-ass folksy comments I wanted to throw things at the television. It didn't go over well with any of the women I spoke to today.

My friend in London said he is watching all of this with great interest as he cannot understand how somelike Sarah Palin could be a legitimate candidate.

Anyone seen the movie "Idiocracy"?

YES! I've made the Idiocracy comparison myself with the McCain Palin ticket. That's exactly where we're headed if people think Miss Mooseballs is qualified to be VP. God help us all.

McCain told supporters at a town-hall meeting in Pueblo, Colo.: "You know, I almost felt a little sorry last night for my old friend Joe Biden. She did a magnificent job."
    Any doubt I had as to whether or not he's in the first stages of alzeheimers are now quelled.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Most of the good Baptists I know are going to be really offended by that "Joe Sixpack" thing...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I thought Palin did a good job, and not just because I'm a Republican.

How can someone have done a good job when they dodged all the question? How can they have done a good job when in the space of an hour they say this many lies?

SARAH PALIN’S 18 LIES TONIGHT

1. FANNIE MAE/FREDDIE MAC: Palin said “it was John McCain who pushed so hard with the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac reform measures,” but fact checkers say that’s “Quite A Stretch” And “Barely True,” and that McCain was a “latecomer” to the discussion.

2. FUNDAMENTALS ARE STRONG: Palin tried to say “John McCain saying our economy was strong” but McCain has used the phrase “The Fundamentals Of The Economy Are Strong” At Least 16 Times This Year.

3. PARTISAN POLITICS: Palin said McCain is “known for putting partisan politics aside to just get the job done,” but he has voted with Bush 90% of the time in the Senate and bragged about his support for Bush on important issues.

4. TAXES ATTACK: Palin repeated the attack that Obama voted for higher taxes 94 times, which the New York Times says is “false,” CNN says is “Misleading,” and FactCheck.org says is “inflated.”

5. TOBACCO REGULATION: Palin said to “look at the tobacco industry” as an example of McCain pushing for even harder and tougher regulations. But McCain opposed expanding the SCHIP children’s health insurance program for 5.8 million children because it would increase tobacco taxes.

6. SPENDING INCREASES: Palin said Obama is is proposing “nearly a trillion dollars in new spending,” but didn’t mention that he has also proposed cuts to balance it out, an attack CNN has already debunked as “misleading” and that ignores the far larger cost of McCain’s tax cuts and spending hikes.

7. HEALTH CARE: Palin claimed Obama’s health plan is “government run” which has been widely debunked as a “canard.”

8. HEALTH CARE. Palin says taxes wouldn’t go up under the McCain health care plan, a fact even his own campaign has acknowledged isn’t true.

9. TROOPS: Palin repeated what the AP called the “highly misleading” attack that Obama opposed funding for the troops, and Factcheck.org notes that the same methodology would lead to the same conclusion for McCain.

10. GLOBAL WARMING: Palin said “I don’t want to argue about the causes” for global warming, when she has clearly taken the position that she doesn’t not believe it is man-made.

11. MCCAIN IS CONSISTENT: Palin said McCain” doesn't tell one thing to one group and then turns around and tells something else to another group,” when that is exactly what he has done on immigration, telling Hispanic leaders he was for comprehensive reform instead of the enforcement focused approach he has taken with conservatives.

12. MCCLELLAN NOT MCKIERNAN: Palin referred to the US commander in Afghanistan, David McKiernan as “McClellan.”

13. MCKIERNAN ON “SURGE:” Palin said that [McKiernan] did not say a surge wouldn’t work in Afghanistan, when just yesterday he said “The word I don’t use for Afghanistan is ’surge,’ ” McKiernan stressed, saying that what is required is a “sustained commitment” to a counterinsurgency effort that could last many years and would ultimately require a political, not military, solution

14. KILLING CIVILIANS. Palin said “Obama had said that all we're doing in Afghanistan is air raiding villages and killing civilians and such a reckless, reckless comment and untrue comment again hurts our cause. That's not what we are doing there.” Unfortunately, the Associated Press says that Obama was right in discussing a critically important point about avoiding civilian casualties.

15. TEACHING: Palin said we need to make sure “that education in either one of our agendas, I think, absolute top of the line,” when McCain has repeatedly favored tax cuts for the wealthy over funds for more teachers and class size reduction.

16. PARTISAN APPOINTMENTS: Palin said “You do what I did as governor. And you appoint people regardless of party affiliation. Democrats, independents, Republicans, you walk the walk, don't just talk the talk” when she repeatedly appointed friends and supporters to positions for which they weren’t qualified.

17. FOCUS ON CLIMATE CHANGE: Palin falsely claimed that she was the first governor to form a climate change subcabinet, when at least 28 states had already taken action.

18. DARFUR DIVESTMENT: Palin claimed that “when I and others” found out that the state had money invested in Sudan that “we called for divestment,” when the reality is that Palin’s appointees worked to kill a Darfur divestment plan.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth

Quote Originally Posted by seasitclearly View Post
    It appears that she is appealing to Joe and Mary Six Pack. This proves how shallow the american public is. The fact is that Obama's tax proposal favors Joe and Mary doesn't seem to matter. They oooh and ahhhh that Pallin appears to be one of them. It's all smoke and mirrors. She is dangerous, without a brain and appealing to the masses.
    Another topic. I am really offended that she drags that poor infant out like some lucky charm. It is way past that baby's bed time. What a self serving selfish act.
    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I thought Palin did a good job, and not just because I'm a Republican.
    seriously, republican or not, surely you can see there is no substance behind her folksy soundbites? she didn't give any real, direct answers, just veered off and said whatever was written on her notes that most related to the question asked. how can anyone watch the debate, compare the intelligence, composure and class of joe biden to the hillbilly ramblings of palin, and actually think she did a good job?
    i'm not talking about politics. if palin had been the democrat and biden the republican, i would have thought the same.
    in fact, i think biden is more presidential than obama. i kind of wish the ticket was biden-obama and not the other way around. although it wouldn't be as historically significant if another old white guy got elected.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information