Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two hockey moms weigh in on VP debate

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Two hockey moms weigh in on VP debate

ST LOUIS, MO: You can keep your pundits and politics professors. I had some real experts to guide me through the Vice Presidential debate: a pair of all-American hockey moms.

I hadn't realised such a subculture existed before Sarah Palin burst onto the world's consciousness like a burly hockey-player - a defenseman bodychecking a rival.

But with commentators turning on the Alaska governor ahead of her encounter with Democratic rival Joe Biden, I wondered if the kind of American moms to whom she was tailoring her message would see things differently.

Lynne and LaurenI invited Lynne Schutz, 41, and Lauren Anderson, 38, onto the bus to talk me through the contest. Neither reminded me of pitbulls, although both were wearing lipstick.

Lynne's 13-year-old son and 10-year-old daughter both played hockey, she told me. Supporting their children's sporting ambitions was a big financial commitment while she and her husband were trying to keep their haulage firm running

"It's about 0500 starts and travelling out of town," she said. "It's about discipline and making sacrifices for your family.

"I wouldn't vote for Sarah Palin just because she's a woman. But I do think that she understands how things are for people like me."

Lynne was open-minded before the debate started. In the past she'd tended to choose Republican in presidential elections, but had also voted for Democratic senators and representatives.

Lauren - a full-time mom accustomed to ferrying three children aged 11, eight and five to hockey practice - was already leaning towards Palin, thanks to her commitment to family values. But she knew her own mind.

It was clear as the evening wore on, however, that both women were moving further into the Republican camp. Palin's folksy turn of phrase (Say it ain't so, Joe! Doggone it!) might have played its part.

But both women said they liked the way she related her own experience of juggling family and career to the post-credit crunch anxieties faced by households like theirs.

It also helped that neither were won over by Joe Biden.

"He's speaking way above what the average person would understand," Lauren remarked. "Everything he says has a negative purpose about it."

Watching the debate"On the other hand, Sarah Palin is holding her own. She's talking about education and how she wants things to change."

Neither Lauren nor Lynne had liked the way in which Palin had been attacked by the media in the run-up to the debate - the Saturday Night Live parodies, the mockery that followed her interviews with Katie Couric.

I couldn't help but wonder if they'd taken this backlash personally - so soon, too, after Hillary Clinton lost her bruising primary battle. Lynne acknowledged that she was riled by the double standards she saw applied to female politicians.

"You'll never see Joe Biden asked how he's going to look after his kids if he becomes Vice President," she frowned.

"But she speaks to me. I don't know if she speaks to everyone, but she definitely speaks to me."

You can argue whether Palin won or lost her bout with Biden. Certainly, I could just as easily have found two women who disliked her with equal passion.

But I don't think the merits or otherwise of her views on abortion, Iraq or offshore drilling were the point tonight. What mattered most was that, in difficult times, Americans wanted leaders who understood them. BBC NEWS | US Election 08 | Jon Kelly's Talking America

A couple of things here: the idiot reporter should have found at least one person who wasn't leaning repug, just to balance out the report. Number two, and most importantly, I am so sick of people wanting to elect someone 'just like themselves'. Joe Biden was speaking over people's heads? Are they fucking serious? He was speaking in pretty every day language and if they had a tough time following him than these two should start doing something besides ferrying their more than likely stupid kids to practice. Read a book, bitches, and you might be able to understand something other than 'Go Team'. Fucking morons.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

"He's speaking way above what the average person would understand," Lauren remarked. "Everything he says has a negative purpose about it."

way above what the... are you for real?

you're telling me the average person couldn't even understand him after he dumbed himself down????
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

I'm sorry but if Americans want airheads running the country/world just so they can "identify" with them we may as well put Sarah Palin in the Oval Office and be done with it.

Is being intellectually competant like Obama/Biden such a turn off to these morons?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^ Grimm, that is the exact quote I was going to quote.
    Personally, I find it very strange when people use Golly gee, gosh darnit, Joe six pack, and other Palin-esque vocab. I do NOT want someone like that in the WH. Can you imagine being in a NATO meeting with fellow leaders speaking like that?
    It's incomprehensible to me.
    Again, she's an insult to all intelligent women everywhere in the world.

saw this on another site, I'm sure a similar thing was quoted here by an American broadcaster, but I think it is very true, if a touch idealistic...

what is with Canada's and the US's obsession with finding an average joe to lead the country? That's the last thing I want. Average Joe is the guy that cuts me off in the free way or talks too loudly on his cellphone at dinner. I want someone that is meta-human. I want someone respectful, very smart, impeccable moral compass, remarkable negotiator and orator, financial wizard, and respectful and inclusive of other cultures and ideas.

The last person I want running my country is "average".

^^ Perfectly put.
    I want someone ridiculously smarter than more/embarrasingly more intelligent than me leading my country. Who knows their shit inside out.
    Not average Joe/Joe-ette who I hang out with every Friday and we do shots and karaoke happy hour to Lauryn Hill and Like a Virgin.
    Seriously.
    No offense to my friends. LOL. They prob wouldn't nominate me to the WH either LOL

Gold Member

I'll be the first to admit that I am not the sharpest tool in the box. But that does NOT mean I want someone like me running my country!
    So lets get Joe-Six Pack and hockey moms away from the white house. I've met plenty of them since I work in retail and we are doomed if they keep running office.

Idiocracy was pretty spot on of how society is becoming

A*O

I want someone that is meta-human. I want someone respectful, very smart, impeccable moral compass, remarkable negotiator and orator, financial wizard, and respectful and inclusive of other cultures and ideas.
    Grimmlok for President! Can I be VP?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    saw this on another site, I'm sure a similar thing was quoted here by an American broadcaster, but I think it is very true, if a touch idealistic...what is with Canada's and the US's obsession with finding an average joe to lead the country? That's the last thing I want. Average Joe is the guy that cuts me off in the free way or talks too loudly on his cellphone at dinner. I want someone that is meta-human. I want someone respectful, very smart, impeccable moral compass, remarkable negotiator and orator, financial wizard, and respectful and inclusive of other cultures and ideas.

The last person I want running my country is "average".
    Exactly.Just because you have a flag waving outside your house doesn't mean you should be running the country.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

I can understand why these 2 women were happy to hear her talk about education. They will need to depend on the public school system since neither of them are capable of educating their own kids.

See, the problem with having someone like that is that they tend to, unfortunately, really not be in touch with what the AVERAGE person is dealing with in society. They have a very insular view, reinforced by their running circle.

What you need is someone who has all those above average qualities, but isn't so out of touch that they appear, well.. demented.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Joe Biden was not speaking over everyone's head. He was speaking to people with at least average intelligence.

If that Alaskan trailer trash moron is seen as professional and qualified after her tacky appearance at the debate, whoever believes in her should have their voter registration cards burned.

Lemme give a shout out to all my smart peeps! Doggone it, we gotta win, yo!

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Joe Biden was not speaking over everyone's head. He was speaking to people with at least average intelligence.
    I agree. Unfortunately, though, it is becoming clear that MANY people must be way below average intelligence in this country. Or are of average intelligence but are incredibly ignorant. Oh wait...not really a huge revelation, now is it?
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

The people that say they want a president/VP that's 'just like me' need to ask themselves one question. Are you qualified to run the country? If the answer's no, then why do you want someone just as unqualified as you are running the country? So, maybe, having someone that's just like you isn't a good idea.

Sarah Palin is not like me and not like most women I've known in my life. She's clearly a bad mother, and clearly a sociopath. She is not like 'most people' no matter how much she claims because most people don't sacrifice everything, including their kids upbringing, for personal gain. It's estimated that 20% of the population are sociopaths and that is the minority that she represents; , I remember reading in a book on sociopaths where one of them said, "I can mimic just about every emotion there is, I just can't feel them." That's what she's about, mental illness, not "joe six-pack".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information