Thread: Joe Biden will concentrate on issues in tonights debate

Default Joe Biden will concentrate on issues in tonights debate

For all the speculation over how Sarah Palin will fare in the vice-presidential debate Thursday night, her Democratic opponent, Joe Biden, faces a challenge of his own: taking on the Alaska governor without coming across as sexist or a bully.

The 90-minute televised debate at Washington University in St. Louis will be moderated by PBS anchor Gwen Ifill.

Gov. Palin has been preparing at Republican presidential nominee John McCain's retreat in Sedona, Ariz. The Biden team has been hunkered down at the Sheraton Suites hotel in Wilmington, Del, to prepare. Barack Obama's campaign has assembled a team of top advisers, including several prominent female debaters, to help the Delaware senator, known for his tough attacks and candor, to debate the Republicans' first female vice-presidential nominee.

Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm has been playing the role of Gov. Palin. "I want to beat him up a little, so he does well," Gov. Granholm told reporters. One Biden aide said Gov. Granholm was chosen to portray Gov. Palin in the preparations because she ran as an outsider and reformer in Michigan in 2002 and 2006. Like Gov. Palin, Gov. Granholm is a former beauty queen and sports mom.

Sen. Biden also has received advice from Democratic primary opponent Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York, California Sens. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, and a number of top campaign aides.

Aides say Sen. Biden will emphasize issues rather than attacks, and debate preparations have centered on making the case for Sen. Obama rather than tearing down Gov. Palin. "I think this will come down to bigger questions than who can throw a sharp elbow. This is a much bigger election" than that, says Patti Solis Doyle, Sen. Biden's campaign chief of staff.

Sen. Biden recently said reporters are in a "time warp" if they think he will prepare any differently to debate a woman than a man. He cited debating Sens. Barbara Mikulski of Maryland and Olympia Snowe of Maine and other women in the U.S. Senate. Sen. Biden debated Sen. Clinton 12 times during the Democratic primaries.
    "It seems like the only people in the room that think that debating a woman is going to be fundamentally different are people who don't hang around with smart women," Sen. Biden said aboard his campaign plane.
    Sen. Biden's 30-plus years in the Senate could open a line of attack from Gov. Palin, who left the campaign trail Monday to prepare for the debate at Sen. McCain's ranch in Sedona, Ariz., McCain aides said. She could also use Sen. Biden's experience to portray him as the Washington status quo.
    While Biden aides insist gender isn't an issue, it is rare for a woman to be on the ticket. The last time -- and the first time -- a woman was on a major-party ticket was in 1984, when Democrat Walter Mondale picked Geraldine Ferraro as his running mate.

Ms. Ferraro debated then-Vice President George H.W. Bush in an encounter that was widely interpreted as having sexist overtones. "Let me just say, first of all, that I almost resent, Vice President Bush, your patronizing attitude that you have to teach me about foreign policy," Ms. Ferraro replied to one attack. At the same time, strategists say Sen. Biden can't soften his approach or appear to be changing his tactics because he is debating a woman; that, too, could be perceived as sexist.

Aides say Sen. Biden can counter some of the Alaska governor's down-home appeal by playing up his working-class roots in Scranton, Pa. Sen. Biden, consistently ranked as one of the least-wealthy senators, still lives in Wilmington and takes the train to work in Washington. "I think Biden should use his sense of humor and really turn this into a debate about who's folksier," says Democratic strategist Donna Brazile.

Biden Prepares for Palin With Eye on Gender Pitfalls - WSJ.com

Of course. We [dems] seem to be the only ones who do these days.

Well I know many may not agree with me but I think he needs to keep her on the defensive. I think he needs to do this the entire time so that people can see how much she and Mccain are just like the Bush administration and have herself explain (I know, funny, right) why she is so different from there.

REFORM is just another word for CHANGE.

They need to come up with more original stuff (The McCorpse campaign).

^^I agree with you to a point, but he has to be smart about the way he puts her on the defensive. He has to keep trying to get her to defend McCain's stances and not go after her personally.

this is brilliant:

...are people who don't hang around with smart women.

ooooooo, burrrrrrrrrn

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    really turn this into a debate about who's folksier," says Democratic strategist Donna Brazile.
    uh no

don't
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Elite Member

I'm reaaaaally looking forward to this. Although expectations for Palin are so low at this point if she does not vomit or pass out she will be viewed by some as having 'exceeded expectations'. Biden needs to be polite but very firm with her and hit her over and over again with the facts and her and McCain's record. No need for kid gloves. The prescedent for it was set during the primaries. Or is 'poor picked on' Tundra Spice entitled to coddling that the other female candidate was not? I say just keep coming back at her. She's a big girl. If you are not prepared to play in the NFL, go back to Alaska. This is the Super Bowl, Honey.....

Thread Information